• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Child sacrificed to Kali" - Hindus Only

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
"Child sacrificed to Kali"

A couple of days ago, this news was a marginal note in my local German newspaper. When I tried to verify the source today, I couldn‘t find it, but this kind of article seems to come up once in a while. While I don‘t want to condone the murder of children, to the ignorant reader – and such are most - it all boils down to "Hinduism is evil“. The only other experience with Hinduism they may have, if there is any at all, is the exposition to Hare Krishna canvassers pushing books on them that most people don‘t want.

I suppose this is more of a rant than an argumentation but if somebody claimed that "all Christian clergymen rape children", I guess most Christians would start howling with pain over "intolerance".

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
"Child sacrificed to Kali"

A couple of days ago, this news was a marginal note in my local German newspaper. When I tried to verify the source today, I couldn‘t find it, but this kind of article seems to come up once in a while. While I don‘t want to condone the murder of children, to the ignorant reader – and such are most - it all boils down to "Hinduism is evil“. The only other experience with Hinduismt they may have, if there is any at all, is the exposition to Hare Krishna canvassers pushing books on them that most people don‘t want.

I suppose this is more of a rant than an argumentation but if somebody claimed that "all Christian clergymen rape children", I guess most Christians would start howling with pain over "intolerance".

It was most likely some totally made up news story. It's happened a lot. Personally, I just ignore it, but simpletons will go ahead and believe such stuff. It's sensationalism.

ajay0

Human sacrifices violate the ancient Hindu teaching of 'Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah' or 'non-violence is the greatest virtue'.

It obviously goes against nonviolence. Buddha was instrumental in getting rid of animal sacrifices in Hinduism widely, through his own efforts and teachings in this regard.

So-called human sacrifices correspond to some perverted sects in Tantra, probably due to misinterpretation of teachings.

Such human sacrifices have also been depicted in the epics.

In the Ramayana,the Avatar Rama and Lakshmana were abducted by Ahiravan to be sacrificed to the goddess Mahamaya. They were rescued by Hanuman who killed Ahiravan in the process.

Ahiravan - Wikipedia

In the Mahabharatha, Krishna informs Yudhisthira about Jarasandha performing a human sacrifice of about a hundred kings whom he had defeated in battle and holds as prisoners. Krishna is quite critical of such perverted sacrifices and enlists Bheema and Arjuna to slay Jarasandha and free the kings succcessfully. Bheema slays Jarasandha in a wrestling match.

Adi Shankaracharya himself was saved by a disciple of his called Padmapada when he was about to be sacrificed in a human sacrifice by the Kapalika Kirakashan. The Kapalikas were a tantric sect which indulged in animal and human sacrifices.

In Karnataka too Shankara encountered a band of armed Kapalikas. King Sudhanva of Medinipura, a companion of Shankaracharya, with his army, resisted and defeated the Kapalikas.

So you can see that there had been instances of human sacrifices in ancient times and in the past, and Hindu scriptures frown on them. Krishna is seen to preemptively stop Jarasandha from committing a human sacrifice.

The British administration in India gave a strategic blow to this sect, whom they called thuggees, and they almost disappeared.

But some may still exist even now, due to lack of proper understanding of Hinduism and Hindu scriptures and its misinterpretation and perversion by pseudo-scholars.

Last edited: