• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child of God?

dan said:
1) A lot of it is in fact in the Bible, but the particulars are revelations received by prophets of God.

2) That's what everyone always says about revelations from God.
you should probably clarify that you are presenting the LDS point of view, as to not confuse people. I could be wrong but everything you have said matches up with their ideology perfectly, so I just wanted to make that clarification. Since you do not believe in the traditional Chrsitian doctrine of the trinity, there needs to be that specification so that she doesn't get it muddled up with traditionalists. wouldn't want her to get MORE confused now would we :)

and it seems that mathematics must be a flawed system, becaues if a = b, and b = c, then you'd think that a = c, but apparently not so. this is going by a pathetic chart in one of my bible textbooks that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever ^^

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
tedicast said:
God did not have "relations" with anyone to create Jesus, Mary was a virgin when she got pregnant with Jesus. Do you believe that?
I believe Mary may well have been a virgin when she became pregnant, most 12-13 year old girls are, plus joseph would not have married her if she had been 'tainted' by another man. But i believe Joseph was Jesus's father.

tedicast said:
Of course He could be in Heaven. All things are possible with God. Do you believe He can only hear one prayer at a time? In the bible it says that God is spirit, meaning He is everywhere. I don't believe that God has a physical body, in the bible is says that God is invisible and no one can see Him and live. I know in the OT is says that some people have seen God but I believe that God transformed Himself in different ways in order to talk to people. Jesus has a human mother which is why He prayed to God, being also human He was not equal to God while He was here on earth and that is why He is called the Son of God.
What you've described IS a demi-god, half human half divine. That's fine if you want to believe that, but its not the most common of Christian beliefs, that being Jesus was God incarnate.

tedicast said:
God is our creator and we become His children when we accept Christ as our Savior.
I'm already God's child thanks, and i don't need a savior because i haven't got anything to be saved from.

per·cent also per cent Pronunciation Key (p
schwa.gif
r-s
ebreve.gif
nt
prime.gif
)
adv. Out of each hundred; per hundred.
  1. pl. percent, also per cent One part in a hundred: The report states that 42 percent of the alumni contributed to the endowment. Also called per centum.
  2. pl. percents A percentage or portion: She has invested a large percent of her salary.
Hard to be 100% both isn't it? And yes, tedicast, since God is outside the realm of time, "while he was on earch" would not apply, which would mean that Jesus must be not equal to God for eternity. Another good call Halcyon, if we have to become children of God, then who "created" us? Interesting, also, that Jesus attempted to pray to God to deflect his burden of death, not only denying his own purpose, but then also denying himself his own request. Seems as though the wills of God were not so in synch...with...himself...or...something...

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I think a good way to describe this is the term "a chip off the old block". This term is used to describe a child as being just like it's parent, and I think it is rather fitting here as well. The chip is in fact part of the block, but seperate from it, after the ascension of Jesus, the chip was glued back to the block.

But also, we are all children of God, and Jesus led by example, he did not mean for us to put him on a pedastal, and go on our sinful ways thinking "oh we could never be as good as Jesus". He wanted to show us as a living example that we are all one with God, and we do not have to seperated from Him, the Father.

dan

Hirohito18200 said:
you should probably clarify that you are presenting the LDS point of view, as to not confuse people. I could be wrong but everything you have said matches up with their ideology perfectly, so I just wanted to make that clarification. Since you do not believe in the traditional Chrsitian doctrine of the trinity, there needs to be that specification so that she doesn't get it muddled up with traditionalists. wouldn't want her to get MORE confused now would we :)
I am LDS, but I wonder where people get the idea that Catholicism is "traditional Christian doctrine". Catholicism is based more on human philosophy than any religion on the planet. This idea of the trinity that is being presented here is purely Catholic in origin, and they got it from Neo-platonists and the Gnostics.

tedicast

Halcyon said:
I believe Mary may well have been a virgin when she became pregnant, most 12-13 year old girls are, plus joseph would not have married her if she had been 'tainted' by another man. But i believe Joseph was Jesus's father.

What you've described IS a demi-god, half human half divine. That's fine if you want to believe that, but its not the most common of Christian beliefs, that being Jesus was God incarnate.

I'm already God's child thanks, and i don't need a savior because i haven't got anything to be saved from.
First of all, what do 12 or 13 year old girls have to do with it? Is that how old you think Mary was? If Joseph was His father then Jesus would not have been our Savior, He would have been just an ordinary person.
I do not believe Jesus is a demi-god, He is fully God with a human mother. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, as it is a very hard thing to explain to someone who doesn't believe it.
If you don't need a Savior then I guess you don't believe in Jesus. What do you think happens when we die? We all do need to be saved in order to get into heaven, unless you don't believe in that either.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
tedicast said:
First of all, what do 12 or 13 year old girls have to do with it? Is that how old you think Mary was?
Girls of that time period usually married at this age, or younger, through arranged marriage. Since Mary was pregnent before or just after her marriage, then she would have been around this age. Does this disturb you?

tedicast said:
If Joseph was His father then Jesus would not have been our Savior, He would have been just an ordinary person.
Exactly.

tedicast said:
I do not believe Jesus is a demi-god, He is fully God with a human mother. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, as it is a very hard thing to explain to someone who doesn't believe it.
From Dictinary.com
dem·i·god
n.
  1. Mythology.
a. A male being, often the offspring of a god and a mortal, who has some but not all of the powers of a god.

b. An inferior deity; a minor god.

c. A deified man.

2. A person who is highly honored or revered.

Does 1a. sound familiar?

tedicast said:
If you don't need a Savior then I guess you don't believe in Jesus. What do you think happens when we die? We all do need to be saved in order to get into heaven, unless you don't believe in that either.
Oh i believe in Jesus, just don't buy into his deification.

What will happen when i die? There are many theories and possibilities, but since i haven't died yet a cannot be sure what will happen. As for heaven, i really hope i don't go the the Judeo-Christian one, sounds horrible - i only want to go to a heaven if i can keep my free will.

tedicast

Halcyon said:
Girls of that time period usually married at this age, or younger, through arranged marriage. Since Mary was pregnent before or just after her marriage, then she would have been around this age. Does this disturb you?
I did a search and found a site that said she was 16. I haven't read anywhere that talks a lot about how old she was.

From Dictinary.com
dem·i·god
n.
  1. Mythology.
a. A male being, often the offspring of a god and a mortal, who has some but not all of the powers of a god.

b. An inferior deity; a minor god.

c. A deified man.

2. A person who is highly honored or revered.

Does 1a. sound familiar?
Not really because God is not "a god", He is God, and who said Jesus only had some of God's powers? Just because He chose not to use some them does not mean He didn't have them.

Oh i believe in Jesus, just don't buy into his deification.
Then you don't really believe IN Jesus, you just believe that He existed but was just like you and I - just a normal person. There is a big difference there.

As for heaven, i really hope i don't go the the Judeo-Christian one, sounds horrible
What exactly have you heard that makes Heaven sound horrible?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
tedicast said:
Not really because God is not "a god", He is God, and who said Jesus only had some of God's powers? Just because He chose not to use some them does not mean He didn't have them.
I meant the bit about offspring of a god and a mortal, doesn't matter if YHWH is 'God' or 'a god' in this case, he's still only one parent, the other being a mortal, thus Jesus is a demi-god.

tedicast said:
Then you don't really believe IN Jesus, you just believe that He existed but was just like you and I - just a normal person. There is a big difference there.
I believe in the man Jesus, and i believe in the validity of most of his teachings, i just don't believe in the deification of the man, just like i don't believe in the deification of the Buddha.

tedicast said:
What exactly have you heard that makes Heaven sound horrible?
Go read the bible. Cherubim, monstrous lionesque beasts, singing God's praises for eternity, forgetting all the loved ones you had on earth - makes my shiver.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Halcyon said:
Go read the bible. Cherubim, monstrous lionesque beasts, singing God's praises for eternity, forgetting all the loved ones you had on earth - makes my shiver.
Wow, that doesn't sound a bit like the heaven I believe in! I hope you recognize that not all Christians share the same view of heaven. Mine couldn't be much more different from this.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I know Kat, but if you believe everything in the bible, then that's the heaven that exists.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Halcyon said:
I know Kat, but if you believe everything in the bible, then that's the heaven that exists.
Halcyon,

I do believe everything in the Bible, but I don't believe that the Bible tells the complete story. So while the things you say are mentioned in the Bible may very well be mentioned in the Bible, there is much, much more to heaven than what the Bible teaches. The Bible covers nothing more, in my opinion, than the tip of the iceberg with regards to man's relationship to God, our relationships to our loved ones in heaven and our potential in the eternities. I can think of nothing more boring than sitting on a cloud, harp in hand, praising God 24-hours a day forever more. I'm not implying that I won't be inclined to worship God, because I'm sure I will be absolutely overcome with love for Him and gratitude for His gift to me of eternal life in His presence. But, I don't even think He'd want me to spend my time in this way. I believe He created me for much greater things than that, and wants me to become all that a child of His has the potential to be.

Kathryn