• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child marriages - Does the Quran promote it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
So, nothing that actually says Aisha was 18. You have to do all sorts of math to "figure it out."

And its not all sorts of math. If your sister is 10 years older its very very easy to figure out your own age. If that is "all sorts of math" then another kindergarten math tuition would suffice.

danieldemol

Premium Member
A child cannot be married off.

I write this because I have seen many speak of Islam, Quran and child marriages. I know that the internet is full of lists if you search for what you need as tools to slander another theology. There are all kinds of lists. But have you studied it? That’s the question.

What does the Quran say? Please follow this and understand the logical representation of this subject.

1. You can only give inheritance to a mature person.

And do not give the immature ones your money for which God has made you overseers, and spend on them from it and clothe them, and speak to them in goodness. – Quran 4:5

Immaturity is described by the Arabic word Shufaha. Which the child is yet not ready to take up responsibility of managing his or her finances. This is speaking of an orphan under your care but yet it defines when a child can inherit, an age where s/he is mature enough to manage it.

2. So when do you test the child for maturity?

Quran calls it Balaghul Nikaha.

And test the orphans when they reach age of marriage, then, if you have determined from them comprehension/maturity/age of marriage, then give them their money, - Excerpt – Quran 4:6

So maturity, the age of marriage is tied to your ability to manage your own finances and inheritance.

3. Rushdan, in 4:6 means sound judgement. Thus, the age of marriage is also defined by sound judgement.

So there are easily four criteria for the age of marriage.

1. Not Shufaha or immature, childish.

2. Balaghul Nikaha or the age of marriage which synonymous in classical Arabic to maturity.

3. Sound judgement.

4. Mature enough to inherit their wealth and manage their finances.

What age do you think a girl can fit into this criterion? 9? 12? 19? 20?

Another reference to maturity is full physical growth as in Quran 40:67 where Ashaddakum from the root Shadad means full physical growth. So you must know when your child is full grown.

I have seen many silly arguments of people pick only one of these points to make their case which is pretty childish. For example, one person asks “So you decided you can marry off your daughter because she reached full growth at the age of 12?”. Well you cherry picked. Above I have given four criteria as well.

Another verse many have used taken off the internet is Quran chapter 65 verse 4. I say this before anyone brings this out with all due respect. Let me give an old translation so that its not modern scholarship.

Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the

prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses [it is the same]: for those who carry [life within their wombs], their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy. – Quran 65:4

There are some translations which would say “Not yet menstruated” instead of “No courses”.

I wish to dissect this verse so that everyone could understand. Googling things like “child marriage in Quran or Islam” will lead you to famous websites. Most of the famous websites are bias. And this statement invites the question “Arent you bias”.

Well maybe. But you could question the logic. Take a holistic approach. Not just one cherry picked verse that suits your personal sentiment. This verse is speaking of women who go through a divorce where it stipulates certain conditions before the lady is to leave the premises where they had their marital life. So please understand that first, you are married because you are already fully grown, mature enough to manage your finances, balaghul nikaha and so forth. You are already married meeting these criterias and now you are going through a divorce.

Chapter 65 verse 4

1. Premise: In case of divorce

2. Wa allathi ya ishna minal maheedhi. Those who are done with their menstruation. Which means Ya Ishna, your menstruations are over. This is menopause. For them, at the time of a divorce their interim period is three months.

3. Wa allathi yaa hidhna means the ones who have not menstruated. Now this is the verse a lot of people use to insult the whole system of islam. But it’s a cheap trick. You will understand why.

It does not say “Never menstruated” and in classical Arabic this could never ever mean one who has not achieved puberty. It is completely illogical. As a non-muslim you could use this this maliciously to insult but also as a Muslim you could use this for your perverted intentions. But none of this is logical if take the context of the Quran and you should see that its illogical.

Mate, brother, sister or whoever you are please take a listen. You are talking of a girl who is already married because she has reached the right ripe age of marriage. Balagul nikaha. Now she is going through a divorce. And now she cannot be thrown out of where she is living for three months. Both, those who don’t get periods and those who have not got their periods yet after marriage whoever they are cannot be sent out of their abode for 3 months AFTER THE DIVORCE IS CONFIRMED.

4. Hamal or pregnant women if you find them to be must be allowed fully to stay in the same premises until the delivery.

So this is all about a divorce and pregnancy. These are laws set for all times.

So if you think logically, all these evangelists who speak of child marriage in the Quran and all those lists you find in the internet are duping you. You are hoodwinked.

Peace.
The source of these misunderstandings were not non-Muslims.

Blame the source and acknowledge that those who say otherwise are only taking Muslims at their word, and not necessarily doing it to “insult” Islam.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The source of these misunderstandings were not non-Muslims.

Blame the source and acknowledge that those who say otherwise are only taking Muslims at their word, and not necessarily doing it to “insult” Islam.

Of course. You should blame the sources too rather than falling in love with it and insisting upon them as if they are "absolute historical fact" even unlike any single muslim historian who actually wrote these books. Its true, even the writers didn't have the conviction some people who insist upon them without having any scholarship on them do.

Strange isn't it?

Cheers.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Of course. You should blame the sources too rather than falling in love with it and insisting upon them as if they are "absolute historical fact" even unlike any single muslim historian who actually wrote these books. Its true, even the writers didn't have the conviction some people who insist upon them without having any scholarship on them do.

Strange isn't it?

Cheers.
I did not insist they are “absolute historical fact” please don’t put words in my mouth

firedragon

Veteran Member
I did not insist they are “absolute historical fact” please don’t put words in my mouth

Ah. I used "you" as an address to a person who speaks, and so that you understand the point and you should also realise that obviously you were answering for someone else.

Peace.