• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chief justice of India asked to step down over offer to rapist

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Over 3,500 concerned citizens, representatives of women’s movements and feminists issued an open letter to Chief Justice of India S.A. Bobde demanding that he step down and issue an apology for his remarks in court where he asked a man, accused of raping a minor girl, if he was willing to marry her.

The CJI made the observation on Monday while hearing the petition for protection from arrest of a man accused of stalking, tying up, gagging, repeatedly raping a minor school-going girl, and threatening to douse her in petrol and set her alight, to hurl acid at her, and to have her brother killed. The crime came to light when the minor school-going victim attempted suicide.'

Source: Call for Chief Justice of India to step down over offer to rapist

So what do you think, should he be fired, demoted, retrained or given a medal? (Personally I'm hoping you dont go with the last option).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
'Over 3,500 concerned citizens, representatives of women’s movements and feminists issued an open letter to Chief Justice of India S.A. Bobde demanding that he step down and issue an apology for his remarks in court where he asked a man, accused of raping a minor girl, if he was willing to marry her.

The CJI made the observation on Monday while hearing the petition for protection from arrest of a man accused of stalking, tying up, gagging, repeatedly raping a minor school-going girl, and threatening to douse her in petrol and set her alight, to hurl acid at her, and to have her brother killed. The crime came to light when the minor school-going victim attempted suicide.'

So what do you think, should he be fired, demoted, retrained or given a medal? (Personally I'm hoping you dont go with the last option).

I tried to find a gif of a giant medal squashing someone. I failed:(

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am surprised that Chief Justice Bobde said such a thing when it has been clearly established in India by various judgments that a marriage after rape does not absolve the person of the charge of rape. He is a well-respected judge and should not be fired/demoted. What retraining can one give to a Judge of his caliber and experience? He has served the Supreme Court for eight years. It will harm the reputation of the Supreme Court. We respect our Judges and the Courts. He will retire on 23rd of April and Justice Ramana will take over. Promotion as the Chief Justice of India is based solely on seniority after being appointed as a Supreme Court Judge and completely without any political interference. So, we can take it that it was a momentary blurring of his sense of judgement and leave it at that, rather than blowing up the incident. I sincerely do not understand the reason why Justice Bobde put up this question. I am sure, he is sorry for that. The accused is in for a punishment of at least ten years in jail, could even be a life imprisonment. That is for the judges to decide.

Justice Bobde, Justice Ramana, Line of Succession till February 2027 (No change except by the hand of God, meaning if the person does not live long enough)
Justice BR Gavai will be the second 'scheduled caste'/'dalit' Chief Justice of India.
SC may see eight CJIs within eight years, succession line clear till 2027
220px-Hon%27ble_Justice_Sharad_Arvind_Bobde.jpg
Justice_N.V._Ramana.jpg
may.PNG

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member

With apologies to Gandhi, I feel he should be tied up, gagged, and repeatedly raped until he agrees to step down from the Court.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Chief Justice of Indian Supreme Court explains:

"Clearing the air about oral observations made during the bail hearing in a rape case in the court last week, Chief Justice of India SA Bobde on Monday said his statement was “completely misreported".

“This court has always have given the largest respect to women. Even in that hearing, we never gave a suggestion that you should marry. We had asked, are you going to marry?”, the CJI said about last week’s proceedings where he had asked a 23-year-old rape accused if he would marry the victim.

The victim has 26 week pregnancy and had approached the court for abortion to be allowed (in India, abortion in rape cases is normally allowed till 24th week. Beyond that Medical and Court permission has to be taken, and generally the permission is given if there is no danger to the mother's health).

Since the accused had promised on paper that he would marry the girl once she is 18. Justice Bobde wanted to know if he would do so now (because that would have given father's name to the child). The accused refused that saying that he is already married, and that was the end of that line of investigation. Even if the accused would have married the girl, it would not have absolved him of rape charges.

Justice Bobde said that in deciding the case a judge can ask any question any time, that may throw some light on the case. The permission for abortion was a case different from the rape case.
I concur wholly with the Chief Justice and do not doubt his integrity. Only the rumour mongers (opposition parties) will doubt it.

Justice Bobde's explanation of the marriage comment - Google Search

ajay0

There has been over 47 male Chief Justices in India and not even a single female one to date. Half of humanity excluded from decision-making in the highest courts of justice. This could explain the reason for such insensitive and inappropriate remarks from the so-called dispensers of justice.

List of chief justices of India

It's high time India had female Chief Justices for a considerable period of time.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

He's the chef justice?

Must be related to Bill Cosby.