• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Chicago public school cancels 'Christian’ haunted house depicting Orlando LGBT mass shooting"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"A public Chicago elementary school has cancelled a Christian haunted house after learning that the event would include depictions of mass shootings.

According to Windy City Times, Chicago Public School officials backed out of their agreement to have Tyrone Tappler Productions host a haunted house at Fernwood Elementary School because advertisements for the event indicated that it would include a reenactment of the mass shooting at Orlando’s Pulse Club, an LGBT bar where over 50 people died earlier this year.

An advertisement obtained by Windy City Times said that the event would be a “Christian interactive experience” called “THE ROOM, ‘A JOURNEY TO HELL’.”

58161d73150000d804530a68.jpeg

“You will walk in 10 Rooms and encounter individuals who will make choices. The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw dropping”

“Among other scenarios reportedly depicted in the haunted house were a botched abortion and the 2015 Charleston church shooting,” the paper reported.
source

Tyrone Tappler Productions, which is putting on the haunted house, is a Christian event producer and promoter.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
“You will walk in 10 Rooms and encounter individuals who will make choices. The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw dropping”

“Among other scenarios reportedly depicted in the haunted house were a botched abortion and the 2015 Charleston church shooting,” the paper reported.

A little too real, it seems. Why anyone ever thought depicting those would be a good idea is beyond me.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
WTF? Seriously, just wtf?
This is just sick.

On an unrelated note, why is zombie Rihanna advertising this lol?

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"Hell House" isn't really new. They were doing them back in the 70's.
Someone was selling packages on the internet almost as soon as there was an internet. Botched abortion has always been a staple. Probably Orlando is the substitute for AIDS now that medical treatment has gotten so much better.
Tom

David1967

Premium Member
"A public Chicago elementary school has cancelled a Christian haunted house after learning that the event would include depictions of mass shootings.

According to Windy City Times, Chicago Public School officials backed out of their agreement to have Tyrone Tappler Productions host a haunted house at Fernwood Elementary School because advertisements for the event indicated that it would include a reenactment of the mass shooting at Orlando’s Pulse Club, an LGBT bar where over 50 people died earlier this year.

An advertisement obtained by Windy City Times said that the event would be a “Christian interactive experience” called “THE ROOM, ‘A JOURNEY TO HELL’.”

58161d73150000d804530a68.jpeg

source

Tyrone Tappler Productions, which is putting on the haunted house, is a Christian event producer and promoter.

I've heard of this. There was a television program about it a few years ago. It was quite appalling. Like a live action Chick tract. But in a public school?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've heard of this. There was a television program about it a few years ago. It was quite appalling. Like a live action Chick tract. But in a public school?
Considering the school was so dense as to not check out the show before they bought into it, it isn't surprising they were either dumb to the fact it has a Christian spin to it, or simply didn't care.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's a pity this sort of thing tends to end up tarnishing all Christians, most of whom would be appalled by it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Considering the school was so dense as to not check out the show before they bought into it, it isn't surprising they were either dumb to the fact it has a Christian spin to it, or simply didn't care.

Or they just lazily equated "Christian" with "tame, squeaky-clean wholesomeness." Also it seems that public school staff who are religious themselves have a tendency to ignore the whole Separation of Church and State thing - until people catch wind of something like this, of course.

Last edited:

Kapalika

Premium Member
The first question I have is, why were they going to an explicitly Christian organization for this?

WTF? Seriously, just wtf?
This is just sick.

On an unrelated note, why is zombie Rihanna advertising this lol?

What can we expect from a bunch of Christians trying to convert school children?

Also I didn't notice that, good catch! xD

It's a pity this sort of thing tends to end up tarnishing all Christians, most of whom would be appalled by it.

Why are they appalled by this, but not by the intrinsically and inherently evil nature of Hell? I can't think of anything more evil than torturing some decent person for all of eternity because they never believed in god.

This haunted house pales in comparison to that.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Or they just lazily equated "Christian" with "tame, squeaky-clean wholesomeness." Also it seems that public school staff who are religious themselves have a tenancy to ignore the whole Separation of Church and State thing - until people catch wind of something like this, of course.
Gotta agree with you. :thumbsup:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
The first question I have is, why were they going to an explicitly Christian organization for this?

What can we expect from a bunch of Christians trying to convert school children?

Also I didn't notice that, good catch! xD

Umm common decency maybe? I dunno.
Most of my family friends are some flavour of Christian and they'd all be disgusted by this.

"Hell Houses" aren't particularly known here though.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Umm common decency maybe? I dunno.
Most of my family friends are some flavour of Christian and they'd all be disgusted by this.

"Hell Houses" aren't particularly known here though.

But the belief in Hell pales in comparison to any Hell house. Why are they offended by the depiction of what Jesus preached about, and what they presumably believe in?

I wish we had this same kind of outrage against the disgusting belief in eternal torment as we did for Hell houses depicting them. Let me guess, the idea is that the gay people shot up went to hell? Maybe the shooter too, unless he asked for Jesus in his last moments. However *eternal* torture for anything we do in a finite life is the most evil thing imaginable.

So why should anyone who believes in such an evil be offended by honest depictions of those beliefs?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
But the belief in Hell pales in comparison to any Hell house. Why are they offended by the depiction of what Jesus preached about, and what they presumably believe in?

I wish we had this same kind of outrage against the disgusting belief in eternal torment as we did for Hell houses depicting them. Let me guess, the idea is that the gay people shot up went to hell? Maybe the shooter too, unless he asked for Jesus in his last moments. However *eternal* torture for anything we do in a finite life is the most evil thing imaginable.

So why should anyone who believes in such an evil be offended by honest depictions of those beliefs?

Again human decency. Most moderate modern insert religion here follower would probably not be okay with showing such graphic images to Elementary aged (or even High School aged) school children. If I'm not mistaken American Elementary only goes up to grade 5 before middle school starts? That's way too young to be exposed to topics like abortion (homosexuality maybe if they ask) never mind showing this crap.

I would hazard a guess that they would find this appalling to their beliefs because one it demonises people as unsavable and two distorts the teachings of Jesus. It is literally a show of human judgement and humans taking vengence, which is God's alone to do so.
An eternal Hell might be a fear tactic but believe it or not, not all Christians would support such a message instead preferring to emphasise the forgiveness of Jesus and God's love.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Again human decency. Most moderate modern insert religion here follower would probably not be okay with showing such graphic images to Elementary aged (or even High School aged) school children. If I'm not mistaken American Elementary only goes up to grade 5 before middle school starts? That's way too young to be exposed to topics like abortion (homosexuality maybe if they ask) never mind showing this crap.
6th grade. Eleven years old or so.