• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating.

Given that infidelity is common is it more acceptable for

• a man to cheat on his wife

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • a woman to cheat on her husband

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I can't answer the poll as I believe it's equally wrong for a man or woman to cheat. I'm a guy and my female partner has basically cheated on me multiple times. I have thought about cheating on her but I have some strange sense of loyalty that won't let me do it, plus I don't care about sex on its own that much to have an affair. I'd rather masturbate.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
We make it equal. Its how we work but i know its not for everyone, religious mores are to deeply embedded for some men to become real men.

I agree,it's much harder for men to be unselfish especially with religious baggage,my opinion is make hay whilst the sun shines,after all your a long time dead.

Audie

Veteran Member
This thread was inspired by the thread.
Punishment for adultery

Which got me wondering. Not about open, consensual affairs but infidelity in which one spouse is in the dark.

The majority of biblical texts on infidelity assume the woman as protagonist, very little is said about males cheating.

Statistically men cheat more than women :-

View attachment 26782

It might sound ordinary for a woman to find out her husband’s cheating on her, but not if you’re the woman [cheating] and it’s your husband.
—Melissa Bank​

If a man cheats on his wife his acquaintances most often consider it a misdemeanor. "He's a womaniser", "bit of a rogue really but that's one lucky guy" etc.

If a woman cheats on her husband she is a "home wrecker", "a real sl*t" and a "w*ore"

My view, consent is key, if you don't have consent from your partner to engage in an extramarital affair and one engages in that affair without your partner's knowledge, that's cheating.

My questions ;-

Why is it assumed in the bible that women will cheat and men won't?

Why is it more acceptable for males to cheat on their wives than vice versa?

See "women as property". I believe you have heard
about that.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Statistically men cheat more than women

I doubt the accuracy of the stats.
It may well be a graph of who is more honest about their cheating.

I have had four significant relationships in my life. All of my partners cheated. And they all denied it vehemently, despite conclusive evidence. So they cheated, but that would not show up in the stats, because IMO women are far more likely to deny it.
That may be because women who cheat are treated worse than men who cheat, I don’t know.

Is there any point doing a survey which asks if you are honest ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I have had four significant relationships in my life. All of my partners cheated. And they all denied it vehemently, despite conclusive evidence. So they cheated, but that would not show up in the stats, because IMO women are far more likely to deny it.
That may be because women who cheat are treated worse than men who cheat, I don’t know.

The stats can only be produced on assumption of honesty.

I can apply my own experience as you have. Although Hubby and I have never cheated on each other i know of several divorced couples who's marriage fell apart because one partner cheated, its approximately 60/40 with men being the 60. Which more closely reflects the stats

And as you say, women are treated worse than men, in divorce cases this is problematic but is slowly equalling out.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Wouldn't there be other ways of compiling information and getting more accurate data, other than relying on people's honesty in surveys?

I'm not sure who cheats more or what the stats actually are. I have heard of dating sites geared towards people who want to cheat. They seem to take a "desperate housewives" approach to it all. On that note, there seems quite a bit of public interest and popular culture related to cheating - at least in terms of TV drama, movies, literature. It's a popular theme. The viewing public might see it as some kind of "forbidden romance" or something like that. It's enticing and titillating, which seems to lead to higher ratings.

So, it is kind of strange, at least with this apparently mixed viewpoint in society. Most everyone would agree that cheating is wrong, yet the popularity of it in the culture would indicate that much of the public still likes or approves of cheating on some level.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

I can apply my own experience as you have. Although Hubby and I have never cheated on each other i know of several divorced couples who's marriage fell apart because one partner cheated, its approximately 60/40 with men being the 60. Which more closely reflects the stats

And as you say, women are treated worse than men, in divorce cases this is problematic but is slowly equalling out.

Your friends’ testimony may reflect a gender bias in honesty. In fact, if there is a tendency for women to deny infidelity, you would expect that.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes,

Hows the flu in your part of the world?

So far there are only two positive tests. But it is very alarming.

One thing I do not like about China is the sickening mistreatment
of creatures put on the market for food. Not to mention things that
should never be eaten, the bat for example.

Thanks to such misbehaviour we have HIV, SARS and now this.
Who knows what other diseases, parasites.

I dont know if it will affect the protests, people may not want to
go into such very dense crowds if they can avoid it

Audie

Veteran Member

You can just leave it at that.