• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chauvin verdict is in. Guilty!!

We Never Know

No Slack
Count one - second-degree unintentional murder...Guilty
Count two - third-degree murder...Guilty
Count three - second-degree manslaughter...Guilty

Justice served in my opinion.

Now if the riot's start because that's just what some want to do and have been waiting for. That will ruin the justice

Filing for mistrial will be filed and then we all will go through it all again

Edit.

https://www-clickondetroit-com.cdn....guilty-of-all-charges-in-george-floyds-death/

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Now the riot's will start because that's just what some want to do and have been waiting for. That will ruin the justice

Just saw it myself -- it's a very good day for justice!

We Never Know

No Slack

Now if the riot's start because that's just what some want to do and have been waiting for. That will ruin the justice

And to add... bond is revoked. Defendant to remain in custody awaiting sentencing.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Based upon what I've seen & read, the verdicts are reasonable.
But I still find the system highly flawed.
Ref....
BREAKING: Derek Chauvin Guilty On All 3 Counts In George Floyd's Death
Excerpted (with underlining added)....
While Nelson’s summation was lengthy, it was also complex. And that may be why Blackwell came back with this statement in his rebuttal argument. He said this case is not that complicated and that, in the state’s view, Chauvin caused Floyd’s death.
The line he left the jury with was this: “You were told, for example, that Mr. Floyd died because his heart was too big. You heard that testimony. And now having seen all the evidence, having heard all the evidence, you know the truth. And the truth of the matter is that the reason George Floyd is dead is because Mr. Chauvin’s heart was too small.”

My thoughts...
When courts allow insults, it takes away from reason.
I've been on a jury where I've seen emotion & prejudice
sway jurors. Such tactics are wrong.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Ref....
While Nelson’s summation was lengthy, it was also complex. And that may be why Blackwell came back with this statement in his rebuttal argument. He said this case is not that complicated and that, in the state’s view, Chauvin caused Floyd’s death.
The line he left the jury with was this: “You were told, for example, that Mr. Floyd died because his heart was too big. You heard that testimony. And now having seen all the evidence, having heard all the evidence, you know the truth. And the truth of the matter is that the reason George Floyd is dead is because Mr. Chauvin’s heart was too small.”

My thoughts...
I've been on a jury where I've seen emption & prejudice
There were several things said that Nelson said should fall under prosecutorial misconduct.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ref....

My thoughts...
I've been on a jury where I've seen emption & prejudice
It works on "Law and Order":rolleyes:

I do agree that appeals to emotion should not be allowed in courts of law. But currently both sides use them. Unfortunately they do open the door to appeals when they are used. I t would be better if they were limited to arguing the merits of the case. Save the appeals to emotion for the editorials and other sources.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
“You were told, for example, that Mr. Floyd died because his heart was too big. You heard that testimony. And now having seen all the evidence, having heard all the evidence, you know the truth. And the truth of the matter is that the reason George Floyd is dead is because Mr. Chauvin’s heart was too small.”
Wat.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was in the arguements to the judge yesterday after closing to the jury.

@Revoltingest this link has some of it.

Chauvin defense attorney asks for a mistrial, citing prosecutorial misconduct, publicity
Filing for a mistrial is SOP in a case like this. If there was a guilty plea there was probably going to be one. Now I am far from being a legal expert. So please do not take this as an attempt of statement of fact, but I wonder if the appeals court will base a decision on their view of Chauvin's guilt or innocence.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
As always, with me, this fills with a lot of conflicted feelings.
  • I know it is important that justice be done, and be seen to be done.
  • I accept that it is quite possible that Chauvin truly believes that he was acting appropriately in the situation -- and yet I know that most of us feel that way, even though if we could bring ourselves to be truly objective, we might know that we are not.
  • Then I feel that this is a man who's life is ruined. Yes, George Floyd's life was terminated by him, but the ruination of Derek Chauvin's life won't add to the overall good of the world.
I go through this every time. I just don't seem to have any taste at all for "revenge."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As always, with me, this fills with a lot of conflicted feelings.
  • I know it is important that justice be done, and be seen to be done.
  • I accept that it is quite possible that Chauvin truly believes that he was acting appropriately in the situation -- and yet I know that most of us feel that way, even though if we could bring ourselves to be truly objective, we might know that we are not.
  • Then I feel that this is a man who's life is ruined. Yes, George Floyd's life was terminated by him, but the ruination of Derek Chauvin's life won't add to the overall good of the world.
I go through this every time. I just don't seem to have any taste at all for "revenge."
The good it might add to the country is that
there are bad consequences for such conduct.
This could improve policing.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Ref....

My thoughts...
I've been on a jury where I've seen emotion & prejudice
Yep, appeals to emotion have nothing to do with justice being served. Mercy under the law is offered only to those where extenuating circumstances were in evidence. Where were the extenuating circumstances in this case? We all saw the video and there was no compassion whatsoever in the police officer’s eyes, despite the appeals of onlookers.

OTOH, I guess we can understand why law enforcement personnel can become devoid of tender feelings when constantly dealing with chronic law breakers on a regular basis....we are all human after all......it’s an imperfect world. :(

We Never Know

No Slack
Filing for a mistrial is SOP in a case like this. If there was a guilty plea there was probably going to be one. Now I am far from being a legal expert. So please do not take this as an attempt of
Filing for a mistrial is SOP in a case like this. If there was a guilty plea there was probably going to be one. Now I am far from being a legal expert. So please do not take this as an attempt of statement of fact, but I wonder if the appeals court will base a decision on their view of Chauvin's guilt or innocence.

I would say a mistrial is out the window. Next step will be appeal.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree that justice has been served, although the link said they expect him to be sentenced in about 8 weeks. So, depending on what kind of sentence he gets, that might also trigger rioting (if the sentence is too light).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
OTOH, I guess we can understand why law enforcement personnel can become devoid of tender feelings when constantly dealing with chronic law breakers on a regular basis....we are all human after all......it’s an imperfect world.

That's one reason why so many want to substitute mental health professionals for police for many incidents. A criminal and someone who is mentally ill can both act the same with very different motivations.