• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chat?

Kirran

Premium Member
As the vast majority of users were opting to use external chat rooms to talk to one another rather than the one hosted on RF, its traffic decreased, so it got removed.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My opinion of what happened:

It was so dead most of the time. The programmers did some things to try to get it going, but those things didn't work. First they added a notifier, so you could see how many people were in chat -- a little red number in the main forum. Even so, people would sit in chat and not respond to newcomers, so it stayed mostly dead. Like if there were 4 people in chat, it did not mean people were chatting. It could mean there were 4 people sitting there doing nothing. We also tried to start a thread where you could say you were in chat and wanted to chat, but that didn't drum up chat either.

Then there was the problem of hooligans showing up in chat when no mods were there, and they'd start taking the rip out of other folks. Then we'd get complaints. So it was more of a pain to administer than it was benefiting. Plus there was the extra server overhead, the problem of keeping the chat room family friendly. Its a family friendly site that allows people 13 and up to create accounts, but sometimes 13 years olds aren't 'Family friendly' either! Besides that, a lot of times people would go into chat with 4 or 5 people in there, yet no chatting would happen. So in the end...I guess chat killed itself.

Kirran

Premium Member

It was so dead most of the time. The programmers did some things to try to get it going, but those things didn't work. First they added a notifier, so you could see how many people were in chat -- a little red number in the main forum. Even so, people would sit in chat and not respond to newcomers, so it stayed mostly dead. Like if there were 4 people in chat, it did not mean people were chatting. It could mean there were 4 people sitting there doing nothing. We also tried to start a thread where you could say you were in chat and wanted to chat, but that didn't drum up chat either.

Then there was the problem of hooligans showing up in chat when no mods were there, and they'd start taking the rip out of other folks. Then we'd get complaints. So it was more of a pain to administer than it was benefiting. Plus there was the extra server overhead, the problem of keeping the chat room family friendly. Its a family friendly site that allows people 13 and up to create accounts, but sometimes 13 years olds aren't 'Family friendly' either! Besides that, a lot of times people would go into chat with 4 or 5 people in there, yet no chatting would happen. So in the end...I guess chat killed itself.

It did seem to still have life in it prior to the emergence of Bad Chat and the rest.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

That was pretty much my experience. If @Sunstone or a few others weren't there things were pretty boring. Carrying a conversation gets a bit dull. I can do that at home with my sister and give my fingers a rest. :)

Riders

Oh yea I remember an incident where there was a 17 year old guy or maybe it was girl, not sure but an adult who was a predator was trying to talk to them into private chat or something.Thats a bad thing.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yea I remember an incident where there was a 17 year old guy or maybe it was girl, not sure but an adult who was a predator was trying to talk to them into private chat or something.Thats a bad thing.
Ooh that's bad!

VioletVortex

The chatroom was one of this site's greatest virtues, it's a shame that it was taken down. Badchat killed it, that describes what happened to a tee.

Riders

So I thought I read something on here last year saying not only do we have chat now but we have chat rooms for all the different religions is this true? If so how do I go there?