• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chastity or Promiscuity? Which is best and why?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Chastity in this age of promiscuity is generally frowned upon but I wish to explore its benefits both psychological and medical so any doctors in the House please contribute.

Researchers have found that chastity before marriage offers many benefits, including a decreased chance of psychological damage from expressing intimacy without commitment, freedom from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unwanted pregnancies, and an increase in marital stability and satisfaction.

A Christian view on chastity : The Benefits of Chastity Before Marriage

World religions :https://www.quora.com/What-religion...r-celibacy-by-their-religious-leaders-priests

Wouldn’t all women be safer in a world that practised chastity before marriage? Women please have your say.

For instance [in the future] should a woman ..., who is unsurpassed in her beauty and adorned with the most exquisite and priceless jewels, travel unveiled and alone, from the east of the world to the west thereof, passing through every land and journeying in all countries, there would be such a standard of justice, trustworthiness and faith on the one hand, and lack of treachery and degradation on the other, that no one would be found who would wish to rob her of her possessions or to cast a treacherous and lustful eye upon her beauteous chastity!...’ Baha’u’llah

HonestJoe

Chastity in this age of promiscuity is generally frowned upon but I wish to explore its benefits both psychological and medical so any doctors in the House please contribute.
Why are you inventing an argument between two extremes? This isn’t a singular binary choice but a complex question of varied ongoing behaviour.

Researchers have found that chastity before marriage offers many benefits, including a decreased chance of psychological damage from expressing intimacy without commitment, freedom from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unwanted pregnancies, and an increase in marital stability and satisfaction.
Researchers find lots of different, often contradictory things, especially if you’re not overly picky about which “researchers” you choose to select from. Reality is much more complex and varied than you seem willing to give it credit for.

A Christian view on chastity…
Is irrelevant to your proposed topic of the thread. :)

Wouldn’t all women be safer in a world that practised chastity before marriage? Women please have your say.
Women (and the men you apparently don’t care about) would be safer if everyone only practiced perfectly safe and consensual sexual practices, with or without marriage. Obviously neither fantasy world is ever going to exist though.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see virginity as a virtue for either (any) gender.

People should explore what they like sexually prior to marriage (even if they don't get married) with partners they trust. And they should not expect virginity in a marriage partner. In fact, having prior partners should be regarded as a benefit, not a problem.

Society today is both promiscuous and prudish in a very strange way. We advertise with sex, but get bent out of shape if a nipple is exposed. We can see a person's naked backside while not their front. I find this to be a very unhealthy combination.

Promiscuity suggests that there is no discernment or caring involved in the sex. I see that as not being a good thing in general. Chastity, on the other hand, seems to suggest either virginity or a general lack of experience. That is also not a good option.

Much better is the middle road: people have sex with people they care about, but don't expect a prospective partner to be a virgin. Instead, have the assumption that it is *good* to have experience in this vitally important aspect of life. Do away with both the prudishness and the salaciousness and have a healthy regard for the body and sexuality.

nPeace

Veteran Member

A Christian view on chastity : The Benefits of Chastity Before Marriage

World religions :https://www.quora.com/What-religion...r-celibacy-by-their-religious-leaders-priests

For instance [in the future] should a woman ..., who is unsurpassed in her beauty and adorned with the most exquisite and priceless jewels, travel unveiled and alone, from the east of the world to the west thereof, passing through every land and journeying in all countries, there would be such a standard of justice, trustworthiness and faith on the one hand, and lack of treachery and degradation on the other, that no one would be found who would wish to rob her of her possessions or to cast a treacherous and lustful eye upon her beauteous chastity!...’ Baha’u’llah
Yes.
I am actually shocked and appalled, when I watch a court case, and in ever case, the accused was involved in an extramarital affair.
Promiscuity is so rampant, that people think it is okay to sleep around with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and then go home to their mate and children. I find it sickening and disgusting.
Yes, I think it stems from the view that there is nothing wrong with sexual relations outside of marriage. :(

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.
I am actually shocked and appalled, when I watch a court case, and in ever case, the accused was involved in an extramarital affair.
Promiscuity is so rampant, that people think it is okay to sleep around with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, and then go home to their mate and children. I find it sickening and disgusting.
Yes, I think it stems from the view that there is nothing wrong with sexual relations outside of marriage. :(

I think it stems more from a lack of respect towards one's spouse.

I don't think there is anything wrong with sex outside of marriage *if* all concerned know about it and approve.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Each case is individual, I think. Way too many different causes, often dependent on the personalities involved, to make any generalizations.
Okay, but you seem not to have any specific one in mind. Do you?
How about these...
Might the fact that sexual intercourse outside of marriage does not show respect for one's self and the other person, be one? Might not having a standard moral rule of conduct, be another?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I think promiscuity is a bad idea in general. A lot of times, it stems from emotional problems, especially in women, where they are confusing sex with love and are very lonely. I see that a lot. But that doesn't mean sex before marriage is always a bad idea. Life just doesn't fit in neat black and white scenarios. Surely you can be in a committed relationship and not be legally married. Marriage can be a goal but you may not be there yet.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, but you seem not to have any specific one in mind. Do you?

Nope. Nothing specific.

How about these...
Might the fact that sexual intercourse outside of marriage does not show respect for one's self and the other person, be one?
I think that lying and breaking promises is worse than having sex. Those are ultimately the problem. I fthe marriage allows for sex outside, then there isn't an issue.

Might not having a standard moral rule of conduct, be another?

I don't think a 'standard' moral rule is required, just an *agreement* between those involved.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A very odd topic, in my view. Such a wide range of sexual behaviours on this planet, yet it's condensed into two choices. It's essentially being judgemental. Your sexuality is your business. Other peoples sexuality is their business, not yours. In most places on this planet, education about all options is available, and folks are free to do what they do. Why anyone thinks it's their business what others do is beyond me.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Compare the 2 and you'll easily find your answer.

OK, I've compared them. I still don't see anything obvious. Please give some details.

/E: I just looked up the definition of promiscuous. It merely involves having more than one sexual partner. So, I take back my previous statement. I think promiscuity wins out over chastity hands down.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Nope. Nothing specific.

I think that lying and breaking promises is worse than having sex. Those are ultimately the problem. I fthe marriage allows for sex outside, then there isn't an issue.

I don't think a 'standard' moral rule is required, just an *agreement* between those involved.
I think as humans, who are actually trying to find their way, as is evident from our experience and observation, we tend to miss the first domino to fall, and then we try to work out by our own standards, why all these dominoes are falling... but alas! The answer can be so simple, but we prefer to look elsewhere.

Respect
noun
a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

Similar:
esteem
regard
high regard
high opinion
acclaim
admiration
approbation
approval
appreciation
estimation
favor

popularity
recognition
veneration
awe
reverence
deference
honor
praise

homage

Opposite:
contempt

due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.

Similar:
due regard
consideration
thoughtfulness
attentiveness
politeness
courtesy
civility
deference

Opposite:
disrespect

verb
admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

When a young lady respects herself, she earns respect from others. She is admired and held in high esteem.
Sure there are the jealous bunch that will try to tarnish her reputation, and violate her, but the civilized respectable person looks at her with admiration.
Such a girl, will be chaste, and keep herself that way, while looking for Mr. Right - a respectable, and respected guy.

A young man who respects himself, can't not admire such a girl, and he will respect her. Why? Because she is a queen in his eye - highly esteemed, and he is awed at her inner beauty.

Both these individuals would be mindful of the feelings of one another, and not do anything that might ruin their dignity, and respect for self.
If that is broken at any time, respect has lost its value. So chastity is vital for respect to flourish.

A marriage between these two will be a marriage where there is deep respect. It is not easily broken,
However, it is easier to break a cord of two strands , than three, so having another kind of respect is even better. (Ecclesiastes 4:11, 12)

A married couple who has a mutual moral rule of conduct that guides their every thought, word, and deed, will be forever guided to maintain respect throughout their marriage life.

This is where God's moral law comes in. Because there is an obligation on both individuals, to respect God, and his standards, they have a mutual commitment - First to God (1), and to each other (2) = 3. The cord is stronger.

A person may argue that they can have their own morality apart from God, but the problem with that is, it may not be mutual, and even if it is agreed upon, it is not anchored to anything, and can easily be changed, removed, broken, and discarded.

So I would say, we need God's moral standards to strengthen the bond of respect between two persons. The potential for breakage is greatly reduced.

IMO.

Earthtank

OK, I've compared them. I still don't see anything obvious. Please give some details.

Truthfully, I don't see either as a very good way to live life.

Let me ask you this, and this is a genuine question, can you give me a scenario in where being promiscuous is better than being chaste? in this scenario please consider the big picture and how that person got themselves in that predicament to begin with. I am defining Chastity as it's understood, which is to be refrain from sex and the types of environments and situations that could lead to such consequences. Such as not sending nudes to people, not getting drunk at parties, dressing modestly, not experiment, with drugs and so forth. Someone that is "Pure" and "virtuous"