• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlottesville Confederate statue removal blocked by judge

Shad

Veteran Member
I agree with his decision. We can't erase history, we can only learn from it.

However if people want to try to erase history by removing anything that has to do with slavery, IMO we should start with the president's that owned slaves that we honor with statues, birthday holidays, put them on money, etc. And if we are going to do it, do it all the way. Let's do away with everything else that is a reminder of slavery which would include many afro-american things as well.

Again we can't erase history, we can only learn from it.

Circuit Court Judge Richard Moore ruled that any attempts to remove the Robert E. Lee statue violate a state law protecting war memorials, the Daily Progress reported. The decision last week ends a lawsuit filed in March 2017 opposing the Charlottesville City Council vote to remove statue on the grounds that it sends a racist message.

Charlottesville Confederate statue removal blocked by judge

History can be maintained in other ways such as museums.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Museums require intention from the viewers.
Public displays find the inadvertent ones.

Notice something interesting?
It's some of our liberal friends here who oppose
public display of uncomfortable history. They want
it shielded....requiring effort to discover it. Now, I
know they're not opposing free speech...they just
don't want too much of it assaulting our sensitive
sensibilities. That seems wrong.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Museums require intention from the viewers.
Public displays find the inadvertent ones.

Notice something interesting?
It's some of our liberal friends here who oppose
public display of uncomfortable history. They want
it shielded....requiring effort to discover it. Now, I
know they're not opposing free speech...they just
don't want too much of it assaulting our sensitive
sensibilities. That seems wrong.

I never advocated shielding people. Education can easily fill the gap thus all or at least all public education students are exposed to history. A give and take if you will.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never advocated shielding people. Education can easily fill the gap thus all or at least all public education students are exposed to history. A give and take if you will.
Students are to be educated, but then to not be reminded.
We must agree to disagree that this is the best way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Works for WW2 fine. There are not a lot of statues of Hitler around yet people still know who Hitler was.
There should be.
But then....he never set foot on our soil,
& his war machine never did either.
And in this age we've reminders in other media....
The Producers (movie)
Preacher (TV)
Godwin's Law (internet)
Democrats calling Republican Presidents "Hitler" (political discourse)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's true personally I think we should remove all manner of historical icons including the good guys as well as the bad guys from all government owned property.

And yes that includes Martin Luther King , Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, and everyone else.

Total neutrality.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's true personally I think we should remove all manner of historical icons including the good guys as well as the bad guys from all government owned property.

And yes that includes Martin Luther King , Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, and everyone else.

Total neutrality.
So, you can't think of anyone to scrub from the public statue list except black people?

Curious, that.
Tom

Good-Ole-Rebel

The north was doing quite well around the time of the Civil War.
Manufacturing technology was advancing rapidly, with standardization,
precision, steam power (replacing water), mass production, & automation
advancing rapidly.

See the 'Panic of 1857'. It affected the North largely , not the South. This forced their dependence on the South.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Gave victory to the Union soldiers and government.
Tom

Because a united America was in His plan for what He wanted to do. That says nothing concerning who was right or wrong in what they were fighting for.

Jesus Christ was doing everything right. Yet God had the Jews and Rome kill Him. Why do you suppose He did that?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Well, lets up the annie.

Abraham Lincoln. The blacks see him as the great emancipator. He, just like God, led the blacks out of slavery into the promised land. Glory. Build that great memorial to him and the blacks he liberated. Don't touch that monument.

Has anyone here ever read the 'emancipation proclamation'? Does any one know the date that the 'emancipation' took place? I ask blacks this when I argue with them in person and most don't even know the date the civil war started much less the emancipation.

The war started in 1861. The emacipation proclamation was in 1863. What is wrong with this picture? Lincoln was not trying to free slaves. If he was he would have emancipated them before or at least in 1861. The emancipation was a war measure, not a humanitarian measure. Lincoln hoped in 1863 that he could encourage the slaves in the South to rise up and kill the white Southernors thereby shortning the war.

And as for the slaves that the emancipation freed, it freed none. Read it. Lincoln only emancipated the slaves in the Southern held territories. He didn't free any slaves in Yankee held territories. And in 1863 there was quite a lot of slaves in Yankee held territories due to the victories they had gotten in the South. He didn't free a one. They were still slaves.

The emancipation was just a political move by Lincoln. But, blacks see him as the great Moses of their delieverence. And he cared not one wit about them. Smoke,... and they inhaled it. Forty acres and a mule.

So, when are yall going to tear that Lincoln memorial down?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
See the 'Panic of 1857'. It affected the North largely , not the South. This forced their dependence on the South.

Good-Ole-Rebel
There are regular depressions in generally strong economies.
They recover.
And wasn't the Civil War sometime after 1857?

Good-Ole-Rebel

There are regular depressions in generally strong economies.
They recover.
And wasn't the Civil War sometime after 1857?

Are you really asking? Not long after.

The Dred Scott decision affected the Panic of 1857 for the North. And that decision, as a Supreme Court decison, would affect the U.S. for a long time. Meaning it had lasting affects upon the North's economy.

The industrialized North was affected. The South was not affected in a bad way.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So, you can't think of anyone to scrub from the public statue list except black people?

Curious, that.
Tom
That's the whole reason why I purposely listed black men and women. It strikes right into entire premise as to why the monuments are being removed. The whole thing is about racism right? Racism isn't relegated just to bad people in history which is what the point is I think @Good-Ole-Rebel is making here.

You dove right into the premise of it all noting that they're all black Americans right away. No other reason for the reply except they were black. Your whole argument is about skin color because psychologically that's the thing you noticed right away with my post.

You're looking at the bad connotations like slavery of the era without realizing the kind of man Robert E Lee was. There's a lot more to him than you think.

Let's go to a neutral unbiased source like Canada to explain a bit further......

That's why a lot of southern people who are not racist yet are proud of their Southern history are trying very hard to relay the message that for most, " It's Heritage not hate".

For the record, the people I mentioned namely MLK, Harriet Tubman and George Washington Carver are among my favorite Americans of note for their undying spirit and selfless nature.

Special mention BTW to George Washington Carver for his love for peanuts and his spirited determination and innovation. Might not be the glue he wanted but he came out on top regardless.

Excuse me while I go make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is the way it is. Humans everywhere are subjugated and enslaved. Wherever you live you are a slave to that government. Or you are a slave to your employer. You may say, yes, but I can leave. Well, yes, but then you have to find another slave owner. Another government to live under. Another employer to serve.

After a war takes place the loser becomes slaves to the winner. Oh they may get treated alright, but their whole way of life has now changed. It is the way it is. And it will never change.

To your question, a simple yes or not does not answer. It is like asking, 'do you think it is ethically wrong to kill someone?'

Good-Ole-Rebel
Didn't know I worked for free and when someone tells me to.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you really asking? Not long after.

The Dred Scott decision affected the Panic of 1857 for the North. And that decision, as a Supreme Court decison, would affect the U.S. for a long time. Meaning it had lasting affects upon the North's economy.

The industrialized North was affected. The South was not affected in a bad way.

Good-Ole-Rebel
The northern economy had stabilized by 1859.
And by the time of the Civil War, northern
manufacturing might enabled crushing the south.

Last edited: