• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlottesville Confederate statue removal blocked by judge

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Again after the fact. After a victory was clear and done. You failed to cite a single thing before the war. Rulings made by members of Lincoln's staff do not impress me no more than selective war crime trials after WW2 which only called out one side.

Well, yes, it's usually after the event that the courts might be called upon to decide the legal issues surrounding it. Just like a lot of laws come into effect after events occur. Another example would be the creation of the Secret Service after Lincoln's assassination. No one thought to have such an agency before that event.

Again do the math. The ruling was decades after independence. Four years after the war. POTUS opinion is not law.

But it wasn't "overlooked." It's just that there were many who were too spineless to make a decision and take a stand.

POTUS opinion especially from one side means nothing to me. Davis thought the opposite of Lincoln. He was a POTCSA. The opinions cancel each other out in my view thus are irrrelevent. More so voicing an opinion while the war was on going is not impressive. As I pointed out before Lincoln can never accept secession so his opinion is irrelevant.

So, what was "overlooked" then? What seems to be the greater error here, in your view? That Congress never made such a law against secession, or that Lincoln pursued the war without any actual written law to back his position?

I would submit that the issues of secession and civil war go beyond the technicalities of law. We're not talking about laws like jaywalking or disorderly conduct. This was much bigger than a bunch of lawyers making deals in smoke-filled rooms.

Whole states were being mobilized, militias were being called up, troops were being trained and armed to do battle. If all of this was "illegal," then they didn't make much of an attempt to hide it, did they?

Ergo Judicial can not make law thus rule something is illegal.

They were called upon to settle a dispute, and they clarified the law; they didn't actually "make" law. You may not like the ruling, and it's not uncommon in America for people to criticize the Supreme Court if they don't like how they've ruled on a case.

But as with anything, if enough people don't like it, they can call for a Constitutional Amendment to change the structure of government, even if it means clipping the wings of the Supreme Court. There have been quite a few people who criticize the judiciary for "legislating from the bench," but unless the people push for real change, then that's the system we have at present.

And no one result in a law about secession.

Realistically, how do you think they could have done that?

That is irrelevant as Lincoln refused any negotiations before a shot war fired

The battle lines were drawn before Lincoln's election, as well as the blood. States were seceding before Lincoln was even inaugurated. They didn't even give him a chance, so what kind of negotiations could ever have been done in good faith?

Compare that with Brexit, where they voted to leave more than three years ago, yet they're still trying to hammer out a deal. The South could have been more patient.

The populations in the two states I mentioned were far more divided. There wasn't a clear super-majority when the votes occurred.

California was divided, too. So was Missouri.

I think it could have been far worse than the South is today as the war ended the slavery economy outright and the money from Reconstruction pumped into the area.

They would have had to restructure their economy from an agrarian one to an industrial one.

I completely disagree with motive. Woodrow Wilson pointed out the flaws of the treaty and was proven right when ww2 started. The UK and France were broke with massive debts to the USA hence economy destroying reparation.. A German Empire would be a threat to France as Germany had been since Prussia. Beside France and the UK didn't go about providing independence to it's colonies which were far different than French or UK culture compared to former parts of the German Empire. A united Germany was something neither would tolerate.

It wasn't just the German Empire, but the Austro-Hungarian, Russian, and Ottoman Empires which were broken up in the name of self-determination. But yeah, there might have been some ulterior motives on the part of the Western Allies. The Russian Provisional Government had been proposing "peace without annexations or indemnities," but Britain and France didn't really want to go along with that either.

This just furthers my point that dismantling the German Empire was for politics not some high-minded principle. Toss in Austria/Hungary was collapsing before the war ended.

Well, yeah, the politics of war. They didn't want their enemy to be able to grow powerful again. There is a certain practical sense in doing so, even if it may not be as high-minded as we might like.

Of course, it didn't really work to prevent Germany from becoming powerful. They had a chance to stop Hitler in his early days, but they just kind of sat there and did nothing as he rearmed and remilitarized the Rhineland. They got caught behind in the arms race. That was their biggest mistake.

No that was because 1. The UK was pressured to dismantle it's Empire. 2. France lost it's empire. 3. Both prior to the war and in the first year both nation provided to be incompetent.

Neither the UK or France were able to hold on to their Empires anymore. This left a power vacuum in the world, and the US had to fill the void left by the inability of the UK or France to maintain and defend the world order which they had previously set up.

Both became puppets of rival ideaologies.

Yes, and they're pretty much stuck in that role.

Which is only going to happen following a SK model. You should know this and see it for what it is. Political babble talk with no real progress.

I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, but it may be possible at some point in the future. Who can say?

Possibly. There were a number of units in the Union military comprised of citizens of Southern states. Likewise Maryland would flip as the only thing keeping it in the Union was the military.

There were sympathizers on both sides. It was truly a very strange, sad war.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, yes, it's usually after the event that the courts might be called upon to decide the legal issues surrounding it. Just like a lot of laws come into effect after events occur. Another example would be the creation of the Secret Service after Lincoln's assassination. No one thought to have such an agency before that event.

Except the ruling was made by a pro-Union court with a weak argument. Reminds me of the Nuremberg trials which never put an Ally on trial.

But it wasn't "overlooked." It's just that there were many who were too spineless to make a decision and take a stand.

Ergo there was no illegality in secession.

So, what was "overlooked" then? What seems to be the greater error here, in your view? That Congress never made such a law against secession, or that Lincoln pursued the war without any actual written law to back his position?

Law namely.

I would submit that the issues of secession and civil war go beyond the technicalities of law. We're not talking about laws like jaywalking or disorderly conduct. This was much bigger than a bunch of lawyers making deals in smoke-filled rooms.

The legality of it is all about law.

Whole states were being mobilized, militias were being called up, troops were being trained and armed to do battle. If all of this was "illegal," then they didn't make much of an attempt to hide it, did they?

Did the Union agree to secession? No? War was inevitable under those conditions. It happens when negotiations break down or never happen.

They were called upon to settle a dispute, and they clarified the law; they didn't actually "make" law.

Nope as there was no law about secession. Judicial overreach.

You may not like the ruling, and it's not uncommon in America for people to criticize the Supreme Court if they don't like how they've ruled on a case.

Again SCOTUS is creating law which is overreach.

But as with anything, if enough people don't like it, they can call for a Constitutional Amendment to change the structure of government, even if it means clipping the wings of the Supreme Court. There have been quite a few people who criticize the judiciary for "legislating from the bench," but unless the people push for real change, then that's the system we have at present. [/quote]

No Amendment making secession illegal yet.

Realistically, how do you think they could have done that?

It is called legislation ie Congress

The battle lines were drawn before Lincoln's election, as well as the blood. States were seceding before Lincoln was even inaugurated. They didn't even give him a chance, so what kind of negotiations could ever have been done in good faith?

Lincoln's campaign was a tipping point as many believe he was radical enough to purse an abolition policy

Compare that with Brexit, where they voted to leave more than three years ago, yet they're still trying to hammer out a deal. The South could have been more patient.

UK politicians are stalling.

Every CSA delegation was refused. There was never going to be any negotiation for a peaceful separation.

California was divided, too. So was Missouri.

Not to the same extend or scale which is why I use those two as an example.

They would have had to restructure their economy from an agrarian one to an industrial one.

Yes making Germany a 3rd world nation. How gracious the West was in victory.... An industrialized Germany not allied with France and/or UK would always be a threat at that point in time

It wasn't just the German Empire, but the Austro-Hungarian, Russian, and Ottoman Empires which were broken up in the name of self-determination. But yeah, there might have been some ulterior motives on the part of the Western Allies. The Russian Provisional Government had been proposing "peace without annexations or indemnities," but Britain and France didn't really want to go along with that either.

See the above.

Well, yeah, the politics of war. They didn't want their enemy to be able to grow powerful again. There is a certain practical sense in doing so, even if it may not be as high-minded as we might like.

Of course. However you framed it differently before which is what I object to, the framing. It is understandable to defang a potential future enemy. However the treaty crippled Germany completely and made it dirt poor as France and Germany didn't want to pay off their own debt. Compare that to the Marshall plan

Of course, it didn't really work to prevent Germany from becoming powerful. They had a chance to stop Hitler in his early days, but they just kind of sat there and did nothing as he rearmed and remilitarized the Rhineland. They got caught behind in the arms race. That was their biggest mistake.

The Allies were not behind in the arms race. France and the UK had more equipment, better tanks, more aircraft and more manpower. Both had low morale and a lack of political willpower combined with incompetent military leadership. That is why Germany won in the early stages.

Neither the UK or France were able to hold on to their Empires anymore. This left a power vacuum in the world, and the US had to fill the void left by the inability of the UK or France to maintain and defend the world order which they had previously set up.

There was American pressure due to the "image" America promoting decolonization. The UK admitted it especially as US was wasn't going to fight against revolutions in their interest. France fought until the 60s over it's empire. It still tried to play world power until the 70s.

Yes, and they're pretty much stuck in that role.

Although one is benefiting thus has far more self-interest at the population level to maintain their system within some limits (Accounting for reforms or minor changes in systems). I do not believe people in NK like starving but I could be wrong about their level of brainwashing.

I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, but it may be possible at some point in the future. Who can say?

I do not expect a unified state short of a war anytime soon. A peace accord, demilitarization and opening of some trade seems more likely. Perhaps something similar to the progress between Taiwan and China.

There were sympathizers on both sides. It was truly a very strange, sad war.

Most civil wars are given the enemy is not some "other". Some of the journals of West Point Generals on both side are interesting to read given they were fighting friends they had known for years. The US/Mexico War created a lot of bonds which were divided later.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

For those unfamiliar, this is from the Declaration of Independence.
While I am not a Southern Sympathizer exactly, I see no reason that this principle from the foundation of the USA wouldn't apply to the Confederacy.

What makes the irony really burn is this. Those words were penned by a wealthy liberal elitist, whose fortune was founded upon genocide and slavery. Like much of US culture, especially in the south.

In a way, I see the War of Northern Aggression as an unfortunate outcome of the serious schizophrenia of building a country on the fault lines between EuroColonialist Christianity and Enlightenment philosophy and values.
Tom

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Did you link the Fed orders to the Gov. of Texas to form a government loyal to the Union post-war? Or the offer of political positions if one supported the Union.

No I haven't. I am well aware of the sham of the political govt. that the North was trying to establish in the South during the Reconstruction. It even became an embarrassment to many yankees.

And of the oath taking by white Southernors which was worded in such a way that no Southernor could hardly take the oath of loyalty. Which left them as outlaws and no rights, including the vote.

The whole thing was riddled with greed and power. And the blacks were the tools the North hoped to use to form that Republican power.

The actions of the Yankee government during the Reconstruction proved the reasons that the South seceded were correct as laid out by Jeff Davis.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Shad

Veteran Member
In a way, I see the War of Northern Aggression as an unfortunate outcome of the serious schizophrenia of building a country on the fault lines between EuroColonialist Christianity and Enlightenment philosophy and values.
Tom

Many of the Founders that compromised between pro/anti slavery views believed that slavery would die out within 30 years thus would resolve itself based on profit margins. The slave economy had been declining in production for years compared existing agrarian and emerging wage based labour. The cotton gin being introduced into the US and US modification made slavery very profitable thus the economic fortunes changed from previous projections and predictions. This reignited the conflict between radicals and the elite. A lot of the citizens on both sides didn't care about slavery one way or another thus were really tools of various leaders to get what they wanted.

Milton Platt

I agree with his decision. We can't erase history, we can only learn from it.

However if people want to try to erase history by removing anything that has to do with slavery, IMO we should start with the president's that owned slaves that we honor with statues, birthday holidays, put them on money, etc. And if we are going to do it, do it all the way. Let's do away with everything else that is a reminder of slavery which would include many afro-american things as well.

Again we can't erase history, we can only learn from it.

Circuit Court Judge Richard Moore ruled that any attempts to remove the Robert E. Lee statue violate a state law protecting war memorials, the Daily Progress reported. The decision last week ends a lawsuit filed in March 2017 opposing the Charlottesville City Council vote to remove statue on the grounds that it sends a racist message.

Charlottesville Confederate statue removal blocked by judge

I agree with the sentiment that the statue should be removed....but it should not be destroyed, it should be placed in a museum, perhaps one dedicated to documenting the period of slavery in the USA. I think that having it where it is suggests there should be reverence given to a supporter of slavery. But it should be preserved. Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've showed you the hypocrisy of the North. And the hate of those wanting to remove Southern statues only because of their hate against Southern white people. The North was and is just as racist as the South. If not more so. And, we haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg.

I've never denied the hypocrisy of the North. As I said above, our country as a whole has been trying to reconcile its history and address our sins of the past - North, South, East, and West. It's not really a regional thing, it's a moral imperative. But it's not because of hate against Southern white people. That's where you're dead wrong.

I have showed you that the South was not traitor to the Union. The South was for upholding the Constitution. The Yankees hated the Constitution. So how can the South be traitor. She can't. She was just opposed to the North. Whose the real traitor here. When the South lost, America lost.

Terms like "traitor" are a matter of perception. When a state formally secedes and says "UNION IS DISSOLVED," then their contempt and scorn for that Union is unambiguous and direct. They made war against the United States, which pretty much fits the definition. When you say that Southerners were US citizens "by the bayonet," you're implying that the Southerners don't want nor like the idea of being US citizens. What can be deduced by this kind of rhetoric?

So, you can't remove the statues because we were traitors. You can't remove them for racism and slavery as the North and Lincoln were racists and Lincoln was all for slavery. Which means you must remove the Lincoln memorial. The only option you have is your racism and hatred of the Southern white people.

No, the removal of the statues might indicate hatred of the Confederacy and its leadership, but I remind you that the Confederacy only existed from 1861-1865. From 1776-1861 and from 1865-2019, the people in question are all Americans, and it's your rhetoric which engenders hatred between Americans (of all races).

Given the world situation at present, America needs to be more unified right now. We don't need to refight the Civil War. It's too late for that. We need to live in the present, not the past.

I guess you didn't care for my questions concerning your statements about statehood and citizenship during the Reconstruction Period. Did you look into it? When the South is divided into 5 Military districts, how is that citizenship. If you have no state, you have no citizenship.

I just didn't see those questions and arguments as being relevant to the topic.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Except the ruling was made by a pro-Union court with a weak argument. Reminds me of the Nuremberg trials which never put an Ally on trial.

I wouldn't compare Reconstruction or other Postbellum policies with the Nuremberg trials or Denazification. That's like comparing apples to atomic bombs.

On the other hand, we did pour in a lot aid into West Germany to help them rebuild their industries and infrastructure. If we had done that in the South, they would have recovered much more quickly.

Ergo there was no illegality in secession.

Of course, using the same argument, there was no illegality in the Union using military force to oppose secession.

Law namely.

The legality of it is all about law.

So, no law against secession, and no law forbidding the Federal government to use force to oppose secession.

Did the Union agree to secession? No? War was inevitable under those conditions. It happens when negotiations break down or never happen.

Yes, but where does "the law" come into this? Was it a war of anarchist vs. anarchist?

Nope as there was no law about secession. Judicial overreach.

Then it wasn't really so much of a legal question as much as it was a political question. But the law is made by politicians, and judges are de facto politicians anyway. Always have been, always will be. Even judges have to be practical and acknowledge that, in the dispute in question, there was a clear winner and a clear loser.

The South wasn't really in much of a position to challenge it, and it was clear that they were willing to accept judgment on secession and the abolition of slavery. So, instead, they argued for segregationist, Jim Crow policies and white supremacy - which the North accepted, since they embraced many of the same principles.

Again SCOTUS is creating law which is overreach.

Maybe. Or maybe it was more of a "rubber stamp" of a decision which was previously made in the Executive Branch. In any case, it doesn't appear that they were any kind of crusading liberal judges using the bench to pursue their own personal agenda. A lot of conservatives criticize judges on that basis, but I don't believe that was the case in 1869.

No Amendment making secession illegal yet.

No, but then again, no state has dared try to secede since the Civil War. At most, cries of "secession" (such as in California these days) are symbolic acts of protest, but they're never considered to be serious proposals. Every state is heavily vested in America as a whole, so secession is a political and practical impossibility.

It is called legislation ie Congress

Yes, I've heard of it. But I've also heard that Congress has had periods of divisiveness and gridlock, oftentimes very dysfunctional and inundated with squabbling fools. It's easy for you to say that they should have made a law, but seriously, if you were in Congress at the time, what could you have done to persuade your fellow congressmen to make a law about secession?

Lincoln's campaign was a tipping point as many believe he was radical enough to purse an abolition policy

By seceding and setting the stage for war, they forced his hand. They gave him no other choice and created a national emergency which justified Lincoln exercising broad, quasi-dictatorial powers. If they had stayed in the Union, they could have done more to stifle Lincoln than they did by seceding. Any proposals towards Abolition could have been tied up in Congress for years, and they certainly wouldn't have gotten enough states to ratify any amendments - not simply through Lincoln's oratory alone, nor even through the very limited powers of the presidency.

By seceding, the South unwittingly gave Lincoln the power to end slavery. They ended up being hoisted by their own petard.

UK politicians are stalling.

Every CSA delegation was refused. There was never going to be any negotiation for a peaceful separation.

The Union didn't want a separation. But they might have been willing to make compromises, as they had done in the past - as long as the South stayed in the Union. Lincoln already said as much. But how could they accept a CSA delegation when their position was that the CSA had no right to exist? If they came as USA politicians from Southern states, it might have been different.

Not to the same extend or scale which is why I use those two as an example.

Yeah, although I think the overall point is that it would have been a very messy situation indeed - even if the Union allowed for a "peaceful separation" at first. The situation was already deteriorating before Lincoln even took office.

Yes making Germany a 3rd world nation. How gracious the West was in victory.... An industrialized Germany not allied with France and/or UK would always be a threat at that point in time

Actually, when I said "They would have had to restructure their economy from an agrarian one to an industrial one," I was referring to the CSA in the hypothetical circumstance that they would be able to remain independent.

As for Germany, I don't think the West was totally unified on that. Americans were on the Allied side and fought against Germany. But unlike Britain and France, America had no real deep-seated hatred of Germany. So, we didn't really want to stick it to them like they did.

But even before WW1, there seemed to be a desire on the part of Britain and France to contain Germany, as there were growing fears of German nationalism and potential expansionism.

Of course. However you framed it differently before which is what I object to, the framing. It is understandable to defang a potential future enemy. However the treaty crippled Germany completely and made it dirt poor as France and Germany didn't want to pay off their own debt. Compare that to the Marshall plan

What's interesting is that this was a major sticky point between the US and USSR towards the end of WW2. The Soviets (and French, to a lesser extent) wanted to totally dismantle Germany and turn it into a giant goat pasture. Even some in the US and UK wanted that as well, but ultimately, the West decided to rebuild their portion of occupied Germany, as well as maintain occupation of West Berlin. That rattled the Soviets and led us into a Cold War which lasted more than 40 years.

The Allies were not behind in the arms race. France and the UK had more equipment, better tanks, more aircraft and more manpower. Both had low morale and a lack of political willpower combined with incompetent military leadership. That is why Germany won in the early stages.

I thought the Allies were behind on aircraft in 1938, but they were in somewhat better shape by 1939. I don't think it was a problem with political willpower. If that was the case, they would have taken Hitler's peace offer and hoped for the USSR and Germany to wipe each other out.

There was American pressure due to the "image" America promoting decolonization. The UK admitted it especially as US was wasn't going to fight against revolutions in their interest. France fought until the 60s over it's empire. It still tried to play world power until the 70s.

Maybe, although wasn't there growing public opinion within Britain itself against colonialism? American policy was mainly focused on suppressing communist uprisings (real or imagined) and containing Soviet expansion. We had no stake in the British or French imperial systems and no real reason to defend it. There was definitely an "image" problem there, and US policy seemed to be all about "gaining hearts and minds."

Somehow, it was believed it would work better if we controlled puppet governments which were nominally "independent" than to simply take over and rule them as colonies. We wanted to apply the "banana republic" philosophy to the rest of the world. It still didn't turn out well for our "image," so I'm not sure if anyone was actually fooled - except for large segments of the American voting public.

Although one is benefiting thus has far more self-interest at the population level to maintain their system within some limits (Accounting for reforms or minor changes in systems). I do not believe people in NK like starving but I could be wrong about their level of brainwashing.

I guess starvation can be used as a tool in brainwashing, but they might be persuaded to blame it on the US, not their own government.

I do not expect a unified state short of a war anytime soon. A peace accord, demilitarization and opening of some trade seems more likely. Perhaps something similar to the progress between Taiwan and China.

Possibly. If the US wants to eliminate the potential threat of NK, we would need the help of China. If we want something from them, they might want something from us in regards to Taiwan.

Most civil wars are given the enemy is not some "other". Some of the journals of West Point Generals on both side are interesting to read given they were fighting friends they had known for years. The US/Mexico War created a lot of bonds which were divided later.

This is true. I remember this line from the movie Gettysburg (which was adapted from The Killer Angels), and it was a rather interesting commentary by a British military observer during the Civil War.

Col. Arthur Freemantle : You call yourselves Americans, but you're really just transplanted Englishmen. Look at your names: Lee, Hood, Longstreet, Jackson, Stuart...

Lieutenant General James Longstreet : My people were Dutch...

Col. Arthur Freemantle : And the same for your adversaries: Meade, Hooker, Hancock, and - shall I say - Lincoln! The same God, same language, same culture and history, same songs, stories, legends, myths - different dreams. Different dreams. So very sad.

It does kind of wax poetic there a bit, but then I have to think: What was the South's "dream"? To own slaves? To have a white supremacist society?

Good-Ole-Rebel

I've never denied the hypocrisy of the North. As I said above, our country as a whole has been trying to reconcile its history and address our sins of the past - North, South, East, and West. It's not really a regional thing, it's a moral imperative. But it's not because of hate against Southern white people. That's where you're dead wrong.

Terms like "traitor" are a matter of perception. When a state formally secedes and says "UNION IS DISSOLVED," then their contempt and scorn for that Union is unambiguous and direct. They made war against the United States, which pretty much fits the definition. When you say that Southerners were US citizens "by the bayonet," you're implying that the Southerners don't want nor like the idea of being US citizens. What can be deduced by this kind of rhetoric?

No, the removal of the statues might indicate hatred of the Confederacy and its leadership, but I remind you that the Confederacy only existed from 1861-1865. From 1776-1861 and from 1865-2019, the people in question are all Americans, and it's your rhetoric which engenders hatred between Americans (of all races).

Given the world situation at present, America needs to be more unified right now. We don't need to refight the Civil War. It's too late for that. We need to live in the present, not the past.

I just didn't see those questions and arguments as being relevant to the topic.

BS. Our country has not been trying to reconcile it's history. It has been trying to continue to 'reconstruct' the South. You say at the end, that America doesn't need to refight the Civil War. Well, tell the NAACP and the Yankees that. They are the ones that continue to remove our flags and statues. This is typical yankee bull. Just like with the Compromises. The yankees use the NAACP to come against our flags and monuments. We say no. They hollar, ' why can't you Southernors just leave the past alone'? Well, if you want to leave the past alone, leave us alone. If I can ever find a yankee that is willing to mind his own business I think we should make a monument to him.

Now you say 'traitor' is a matter of perception. That is not the song you were singing earlier. I have proven that the South is not traitor. That leaves the question, who was the traitor? Who else but the North who hated the Constitution? And, no, the North made war against the South. We did not attack the North. The North had been attacking us long before Fort Sumter. The attack by John Brown at Harpers Ferry was an attack upon the South. It was not an attack upon the North. It was supported by big moneymen in the North. John Brown was allowed to make his plans for it while in the North roaming free and gathering funds in political circles for his attack. And that after he was already wanted for the murder five men, hacked up in front of their families. The North wanted this war. They started it. And they got it. And they are still waging it. Our reconstruction is still going on.

Americans....by the bayonet. Your hatred of the Confederacy and it's leadership is unfounded. I have showed you that it was the South that fought for the Constitution. The North fought against the Constitution. The South was fighting for America. The North was overthrowing America. Jeff Davis was set free because the North knew he was no traitor and that they would be seen as the real traitor.

No, you saw that you didn't know what you were talking about. You probably looked into it a little. Probably googled a little. You saw enough to know that you were wrong. Thus it is better to say it is really irrelevant. Sort of like when the North set Jeff Davis free. Just go away.

If we need to live in the present and not the past, then you should be against the blacks taking down our statues. Right? I mean they are living in the past. Right? Your statements are foolish.

Good-Ole-Rebel

MikeDwight

o_O

Come again?

Treatment of slaves in the United States - Wikipedia

Edit: and between Germany and the UK (and Germany and Canada, and Germany and the US, etc.), it wasn't Germany who attacked first.
Demographics of the British Empire - Wikipedia
People should start by asking themselves, what? Do they think Dixie was a break-off for the British Empire? A british Empire that didn't care? Which one was racist? They were both racist? I see, and , they didn't like each other .Well, look at it. They've been these places 300 years and all the Christians in the entire British Empire are still in the United Kingdom. This is some military-commercial cooperative called British Empire.

Now Dixie had slaves on account of Religion. No one claimed any other account since the law was on non-Christians being Slave anyway. The Claim was God had Made slavery said Jackson. Robert E Lee said Christianity can end slavery.
map16rel.gif

I mean if they had a 1200 Crusade in the 1860s, they'd butcher everybody from morocco to Timbuktu, and put white people there ,and praise Jesus, but keeping Slaves oh my GOD. Somebody call the Devil!
The process of people's into Christianity.

Last edited:

MikeDwight

Well you could convert any time any of the above nations' declared war on your pagan nation and of course there's no wars. Hungary is totally new horsetribe moved in there in the 800's. Poland and Lithuania have a complicated history with the Teutonics/Prussia and self-made Christianity. Byzantines converted Russia. Phillip of Spain went to the peoples in the Americas, and Phillipines. Oops and people remember Catholic Monks attributing Beowulf and Viking things in Scandinavian Religion. There's your Nazis, revive Germanic religion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not? In what way was the Confederate South any better than Nazi Germany?

I didn't say they were better. However, the CSA only existed from 1861-1865. From 1776-1861 and from 1865 to the present, it was all part of the USA.

Of course, one might argue (and many have) that the USA in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries was no better than Nazi Germany. One could make the same argument about Britain and France and other Allied powers as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I didn't say they were better. However, the CSA only existed from 1861-1865. From 1776-1861 and from 1865 to the present, it was all part of the USA.
And Nazi Germany only existed from 1933 to 1945. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Of course, one might argue (and many have) that the USA in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries was no better than Nazi Germany. One could make the same argument about Britain and France and other Allied powers as well.
All of those nations have changed over time, though. Calling back to the Confederate States specifically is like calling back to Nazi Germany specifically.

As you point out, "the South" was part of the USA, not the CSA, for most of its history. While patriotism to the USA may refer to any era, patriotism to the CSA necessarily refers to an era of - and ideals of - cruelty, racism, and treason.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
BS. Our country has not been trying to reconcile it's history. It has been trying to continue to 'reconstruct' the South. You say at the end, that America doesn't need to refight the Civil War. Well, tell the NAACP and the Yankees that. They are the ones that continue to remove our flags and statues. This is typical yankee bull. Just like with the Compromises. The yankees use the NAACP to come against our flags and monuments. We say no. They hollar, ' why can't you Southernors just leave the past alone'? Well, if you want to leave the past alone, leave us alone. If I can ever find a yankee that is willing to mind his own business I think we should make a monument to him.

Now you say 'traitor' is a matter of perception. That is not the song you were singing earlier. I have proven that the South is not traitor. That leaves the question, who was the traitor? Who else but the North who hated the Constitution? And, no, the North made war against the South. We did not attack the North. The North had been attacking us long before Fort Sumter. The attack by John Brown at Harpers Ferry was an attack upon the South. It was not an attack upon the North. It was supported by big moneymen in the North. John Brown was allowed to make his plans for it while in the North roaming free and gathering funds in political circles for his attack. And that after he was already wanted for the murder five men, hacked up in front of their families. The North wanted this war. They started it. And they got it. And they are still waging it. Our reconstruction is still going on.

Americans....by the bayonet. Your hatred of the Confederacy and it's leadership is unfounded. I have showed you that it was the South that fought for the Constitution. The North fought against the Constitution. The South was fighting for America. The North was overthrowing America. Jeff Davis was set free because the North knew he was no traitor and that they would be seen as the real traitor.

No, you saw that you didn't know what you were talking about. You probably looked into it a little. Probably googled a little. You saw enough to know that you were wrong. Thus it is better to say it is really irrelevant. Sort of like when the North set Jeff Davis free. Just go away.

If we need to live in the present and not the past, then you should be against the blacks taking down our statues. Right? I mean they are living in the past. Right? Your statements are foolish.

I notice that you keep using language and rhetoric which suggests that you still view the Confederacy as a separate and distinct geopolitical entity and an independent nation. You keep saying "our" statues and monuments. You say "leave us alone" and that Yankees should "mind their own business."

Are you really that upset about being part of the United States?

As for me, I was born in this country, and in my family tree, one can find both Confederates and Yankees. I see North and South USA as being two branches within the same family. As a unified nation since the Civil War, we've endured two world wars, a Great Depression, and a Cold War - along with the accompanying hot wars and brinkmanship that could have led to the end of us all. In case you weren't aware, America (both North and South) has had a history since 1865. A lot has happened between now and then.

But you seem to disregard all of that and still believe we live in 1865 and that America is still divided. Your sectionalism is coming through loud and clear.

My view on the statues is that I have no real interest in defending them, but I don't think it's a wise use of liberals' dwindling political capital to press for their removal. Liberals should probably pick their battles more carefully, and they should be relevant with today's politics.

I would be happy if there was more affordable housing, better educational opportunities, better wages, and stronger labor unions - the kinds of things liberals used to fight for once upon a time. Instead, they sold out to Wall Street and embraced identity politics to trick people into thinking that they're still "fighting the good fight." It's all a ruse. I realize that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My view on the statues is that I have no real interest in defending them, but I don't think it's a wise use of liberals' dwindling political capital to press for their removal. Liberals should probably pick their battles more carefully, and they should be relevant with today's politics.
I'm not so sure about that. If it weren't for the proposal to remove the Confederate monument in Charlottesville, we wouldn't have had the rally that showed to everyone just how pervasive neo-Nazis, the KKK, and white supremacists in general are in the American right wing today.