• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Chaplan's "Great Dictator" speech

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was reminded of it today by this cartoon:

343dabe007d20138d9ae005056a9545d

Today the battle is not between armies of Democracy and armies of dictators, but within nations with authoritarian leaders and those that follow them versus those who believe in something better. While the speech is the product of it's time, these words resonate with me today.

Charlie Chaplin : The Final Speech from The Great Dictator
Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I don’t normally care about the Donald one way or the other.
I’ll admit, from the outside looking in, watching the whole “make America great again” and the cult of personality and overtly jingoistic pride (even for Americanstan standards) was a bit eery, to say the least.