• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Character is higher than intellect

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Character is higher than intellect" -- Emerson

It seems to me that our society values intelligence above all other human qualities. But should we? Shouldn't virtues like human decency and kindness be more important to us than how smart we are? What do you think? Is Emerson right?

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:

It seems to me that our society values intelligence above all other human qualities. But should we? Shouldn't virtues like human decency and kindness be more important to us than how smart we are? What do you think? Is Emerson right?
I think it's intelligent to have character. Yes, I agree that character is higher than intellect. A person with character is going to have real friends, because he/she can be trusted. Building trust is higher than intellect.

I agree with you Lightkeeper. I'd rather hang around a person of high character and low intellect than a person of high intellect and low character any day.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:

Can not high character be formed from some high intellect?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
pah said:
Can not high character be formed from some high intellect?
I certainly think our intellect can help guide us to forming good character. But I have also known some people who did not have outstanding intelligence, but who had sterling characters. So I do not feel that intellect is absolutely necessary to forming good character.

I think the most important thing to the formation of good character is that we learn how to listen to our own spirit and then have the courage to be true to ourselves.