• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chapter from High Priest Gilmore's newest book; The Satanic Scriptures

Viconia

The Magic of Mystery

Being a Satanist, one is often mistaken for being a purveyor of mystic claptrap like so many "occultists" when in truth we are masters of reality, striving to understand and utilize the universe for our personal indulgence. One of the surest outward signs of the Satanist is not the sporting of all-black clothing or the prominent display of the Baphomet sigil - granting that these could be dead giveaways, but the projection of the self-confidence and success which springs from the mastery of a field. Satanists can DO things and do them quite well! This is why they have chosen to embrace Satanism, the only religion to revere the talented few who stand above the dim and barren hordes.

There is true magic in the mastering of skills. Most members of the herd will look with awe upon a talented and accomplished practitioner. To them, the producing of quality results with the effortless-seeming ease of mastery will appear to be pure wizardry. Just think of how similar to occult practices are many fields are when one becomes an "initiate." There is the inevitable jargon that serves as an "arcane" language. Computer programming has such mystic tongues as COBOL, Pascal, and Fortran. Painting has many "exotic" terms such as medium, ground, umber, cerulean, and uses esoteric items as aromatic oils, varnishes, and athamé-like pallet knives. Cooking has many abstruse practices such as maceration, basting, and sautéing and we know how effective a tool of Lesser Magic it is. Let's not forget mastery of mechanical and electronic devices, as those who know nothing about their vehicles and machines look at mechanics and repairmen as a priesthood privy to obscure and forbidden techniques. Music is a wonderful practice in that it has weird symbols that are incomprehensible to most people these days, while the result of virtuosity is the ability to communicate directly with people's emotions. Remember that such past masters as Paganini and Liszt were thought to have made pacts with the Devil for their skills.

In truth, anyone who excels in a material field has made a pact with Satan, as they have embraced the belief that success in the here and now is of the greatest importance. This is why Satanists are wonderful people to be around for they are brimming with honed talents to be experienced.

So to be a master of magic, toss out those musty grimoires, unless they're printed by Chilton. Pick some field and become an advanced practitioner. Be a writer, pastry chef, seamstress, flower arranger, plumber, sculptor, carpenter, photographer, upholsterer, electrician, pilot, beautician, steelworker, whatever you have an affinity for. You'll amaze those around you, gain their respect and envy, achieve material success and you won't even have to say "Shenhamforash" in public. The better you are, the more Satanic you'll be, a member of the true elite and able. The sheep will be so dazzled that they won't notice the Baphomet around your neck - if you choose to wear it. But when they do, they'll certainly think there is something to it because of your position of achievement in the mundane world. We not only rejoice in the fleshly life, we are masters of it. That is Satanic magic.

Gilmore, Peter. "The Magic of Mystery." The Satanic Scriptures, Baltimore MD; Scapegoat Publishing, 2006, pages 195-196.

This is a chapter that I think touches upon one of the most important ethical values of the Church of Satan.

My values have changed as I've become older and possess a more in-depth understanding of what it means to be a Satanist (or perhaps my temperament has changed as I leave my girlhood behind); the importance of my identity as being 'different' is becoming less and less. I've rejected Christian, altruistic, collectivist values; I've rejected the new religions of passiveness, mindlessness, the notion that to discriminate is evil, democratic values, and consumerism; now what do I want to do? This is unofficially called the transition out of "First-phase Satanism" by Church of Satan members.

I've been thinking lately about what got me to this point; was it my cynical yet loving policewoman mother and her finely tuned BS detector? Was it looking around at the people in society I was expected to respect and feeling instead disgust and nonchalance? Was it the sense of wonder and joy that I had as a girl towards life that I never lost, despite most adults saying that it would fade when I began to understand their ho-hum perception of reality?

What did it for you people? What drove you to choose individualism and alienate yourself from the majority of people?