• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chapter 5 of Divine Art Living Prayer and Meditation - The Benefits of Prayer

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Chapter 5 Prayer and Meditation – The Benefits of Prayer

The state of prayer is the best of conditions, for man is then associating with God. Prayer verily bestoweth life, particularly when offered in private and at times, such as midnight, when freed from daily cares.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Selections from the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá", 172.1

We need to be in the state of prayer. Saying the words is not enough. This is the center of Baha'u'llah's revelation and any revelation:

O Son of Light! Forget all save Me and commune with My spirit. This is of the essence of My command, therefore turn unto it.
Bahá’u’lláh, "The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh", a16

For the core of religious faith is that mystic feeling which unites Man with God. This state of spiritual communion can be brought about and maintained by means of meditation and prayer. And this is the reason why Bahá’u’lláh has so much stressed the importance of worship. It is not sufficient for a believer merely to accept and observe the teachings. He should, in addition, cultivate the sense of spirituality which he can acquire chiefly by means of prayer. The Bahá’í Faith, like all other Divine Religions, is thus fundamentally mystic in character. Its chief goal is the development of the individual and society, through the acquisition of spiritual virtues and powers. It is the soul of man which has first to be fed. And this spiritual nourishment prayer can best provide.
Shoghi Effendi, "Directives from the Guardian", 223.4

This applies any time in our life, not just when we are saying the words of prayer.

Private prayer has always done more for me than prayers said in a public setting. I have never liked people feeling like they need to have a lot of prayers before a meeting. I usually don't say a prayer at that time. Some feel they are never freed from daily cares at any time of the day, and this is understandable.

...only in the remembrance of God can the heart find rest.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Selections from the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá", 60.1

Remembrance of Me cleanseth all things from defilement, could ye but perceive it.
Bahá’u’lláh, "Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh", 136

We become a better person, our hearts become pure, though I think gradually over time as we remember God. Remembering God, mind you, means to me dwelling on the attributes of God.

Occupy thyself in remembrance of the Beauty of Him Who is the Unconstrained at early morn, and seek communion with Him at the hour of dawn. O ‘Alí! Remembrance of Me is a healing medicine to the souls and a light to the hearts of men.

Bahá’u’lláh, from a Tablet to an individual believer — translated from the Persian
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, "Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude", 11

A light to hearts means spiritual knowledge, knowledge of the attributes of God within us, in my opinion.

Another correspondent asked: “Why pray? What is the wisdom thereof, for God has established everything and executes all affairs after the best order — therefore, what is the wisdom in beseeching and supplicating and in stating one’s wants and seeking help?”
John E. Esslemont, "Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era", 6.29

‘Abdu’l-Bahá replied:—

Know thou, verily, it is becoming in a weak one to supplicate to the Strong One, and it behooveth a seeker of bounty to beseech the Glorious Bountiful One. When one supplicates to his Lord, turns to Him and seeks bounty from His Ocean, this supplication brings light to his heart, illumination to his sight, life to his soul and exaltation to his being.
John E. Esslemont, "Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era"

Supplication to the Strong One and beseeching the Bountiful One increases our humility, whether we get an material benefit from this or not. Everybody wants that feeling of exaltation of spirituality wafting over us. What does illumination to the sight mean? This must refer to spiritual sight, perceiving spiritual realities.

During thy supplications to God and thy reciting, “Thy Name is my healing,” consider how thine heart is cheered, thy soul delighted by the spirit of the love of God, and thy mind attracted to the Kingdom of God! By these attractions one’s ability and capacity increase. When the vessel is enlarged the water increases, and when the thirst grows the bounty of the cloud becomes agreeable to the taste of man. This is the mystery of supplication and the wisdom of stating one’s wants.
(From a tablet to an American believer, translated by ‘Alí Kulí Khán, October 1908).
John E. Esslemont, "Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era", 6.32

The main reason for praying for healing is not that the probability of healing goes up, in my opinion. We can be healed or not regardless of praying for it. Also the main reason for praying is to exalt one's spiritual being and to be assisted to carry out actions that are good, not for material reasons for ourselves or others. Praying for other people's spiritual welfare is a higher prayer. Much praying within a community for healing indicates the community is dwelling too much on a material plane.

Praying increases our capacity, which means that our capacity is not fixed at birth and it can grow. We get more spiritual bounty from this increase in capacity.

If one friend feels love for another, he will wish to say so. Though he knows that the friend is aware that he loves him, he will still wish to say so.... God knows the wishes of all hearts. But the impulse to prayer is a natural one, springing from man’s love to God.
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, "Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude", 34

Prayer need not be in words, but rather in thought and attitude. But if this love and this desire are lacking, it is useless to try to force them. Words without love mean nothing. If a person talks to you as an unpleasant duty, with no love or pleasure in his meeting with you, do you wish to converse with him?
Report of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s words as quoted in J. E. Esslemont, “Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era”, p. 94
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, "Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude", 34.2

Don't pray if you feel no love towards God. What is the love of man for God, though?

The second is the love that flows from man to God. This is faith, attraction to the Divine, enkindlement, progress, entrance into the Kingdom of God, receiving the Bounties of God, illumination with the lights of the Kingdom. This love is the origin of all philanthropy; this love causes the hearts of men to reflect the rays of the Sun of Reality.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Paris Talks", 58.5

O thou spiritual friend! Thou hast asked the wisdom of prayer. Know thou that prayer is indispensable and obligatory, and man under no pretext whatsoever is excused from performing the prayer unless he be mentally unsound, or an insurmountable obstacle prevent him. The wisdom of prayer is this: That it causeth a connection between the servant and the True One, because in that state (i.e., prayer) man with all heart and soul turneth his face towards His Highness the Almighty, seeking His association and desiring His love and compassion. The greatest happiness for a lover is to converse with his beloved, and the greatest gift for a seeker is to become familiar with the object of his longing; that is why with every soul who is attracted to the Kingdom of God, his greatest hope is to find an opportunity to entreat and supplicate before his Beloved, appeal for His mercy and grace and be immersed in the ocean of His utterance, goodness and generosity.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Tablets of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá ‘Abbás vol. 1-3", 728.4

Prayer establishes a connection with God, which we try to maintain during the day in our susceptibilities and our actions. Our susceptibilities and our actions are one. Saying the prayer causes us to be more familiar with the attributes of God contained therein.

Beside all this, prayer and fasting is the cause of awakening and mindfulness and conducive to protection and preservation from tests.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Tablets of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá ‘Abbás vol. 1-3", 728.5

Protection and preservation from tests means to me being able to pass the tests better.

Intone, O My servant, the verses of God that have been received by thee, as intoned by them who have drawn nigh unto Him, that the sweetness of thy melody may kindle thine own soul, and attract the hearts of all men. Whoso reciteth, in the privacy of his chamber, the verses revealed by God, the scattering angels of the Almighty shall scatter abroad the fragrance of the words uttered by his mouth, and shall cause the heart of every righteous man to throb. Though he may, at first, remain unaware of its effect, yet the virtue of the grace vouchsafed unto him must needs sooner or later exercise its influence upon his soul.
Bahá’u’lláh, "Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh", 136.2

Not only will our soul be enkindled and be closer to God, but it has an effect on the rest of the world, though primarily it affects the one praying. We may not feel much of anything from prayer at first, but if we keep at it, it will have a positive effect on us.

O Son of Being! Make mention of Me on My earth, that in My heaven I may remember thee, thus shall Mine eyes and thine be solaced.
Bahá’u’lláh, "The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh", a43

This has a double meaning in my opinion. It is not just about praying, but also teaching. When we teach we are mentioning Baha'u'llah to others. What does it mean for God to remember us? To me this means we acquire a spiritual presence and existence which is at one with God.