• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chanukah and the Book of Daniel

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Worth reading in my opinion is TheTorah.com article:

which concludes:

The apocalypses of Daniel thus contain the earliest version of the story of Chanukah, told in the form of an apocalyptic vision. More accurately, they contain descriptions of the Antiochian persecutions, but without the resolution. The vision in ch. 7 was, therefore, composed at the height of his religious decrees, sometime between 167–164 BCE.[22] At that time, salvation could be imagined only through direct divine intervention, and not through the human agency of the Hasmonean revolt that occurred only a few years later. Daniel 7–12 thus offers a different religious lens by which to understand the Chanukah story.​

Please note that this has been posted in the Judaism DIR. This is not the place for Christian interpretation and debate.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Worth reading in my opinion is TheTorah.com article:

which concludes:

The apocalypses of Daniel thus contain the earliest version of the story of Chanukah, told in the form of an apocalyptic vision. More accurately, they contain descriptions of the Antiochian persecutions, but without the resolution. The vision in ch. 7 was, therefore, composed at the height of his religious decrees, sometime between 167–164 BCE.[22] At that time, salvation could be imagined only through direct divine intervention, and not through the human agency of the Hasmonean revolt that occurred only a few years later. Daniel 7–12 thus offers a different religious lens by which to understand the Chanukah story.​

Please note that this has been posted in the Judaism DIR. This is not the place for Christian interpretation and debate.
I like it! Some of the best biblical metaphor out there. I might actually have to read it !! Cool pic too !! Our teachers don’t do a good job teaching this prelude to Hanukah. Good find @ Jaybo !!

Last edited: