• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Channukah Thoughts

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Every year for the last number of years, there's a hubbub in Israel over Christmas trees Novy God trees in public spaces such as shopping malls. Like you said, secular or not, it's founded upon Christmas, much like one could argue that the whole USSR secularism is founded upon Christian Europe. L'havdil, Tommy Lapid (father of Yair Lapid) is said to have once stated: "I will never walk into a synagogue. But the synagogue I will never walk into is an Orthodox one." I am not writing this as a dig at other Jews, I am saying that Lapid's secularism was founded upon Orthodox Judaism.

rosends

Every year for the last number of years, there's a hubbub in Israel over Christmas trees Novy God trees in public spaces such as shopping malls. Like you said, secular or not, it's founded upon Christmas, much like one could argue that the whole USSR secularism is founded upon Christian Europe. L'havdil, Tommy Lapid (father of Yair Lapid) is said to have once stated: "I will never walk into a synagogue. But the synagogue I will never walk into is an Orthodox one." I am not writing this as a dig at other Jews, I am saying that Lapid's secularism was founded upon Orthodox Judaism.
I'll pass on Silvester also.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll pass on Silvester also.
Unfortunately, same story here in Israel. :disappointed:

I am often reminded this time of year of when the Christian and secular new year came when I was in the army. It was supposed to be on Sunday night. On my part, I was completely oblivious to it. On Sunday I took a bus up north to the Chatzor Haglilit central bus station, where soldiers from my base gathered and waited for a bus organized by the base to go straight to the base. I rarely made it on time and usually had to wait for another bus to Katzrin in the Golan and from there another bus to base. But this time I made it on time. I was, however, surprised that there were only like three other guys there, of them one was a religious officer and another was a Bedouin soldier. I asked one of the guys where everyone was and he said: "Tonight's the new year. Everyone took a vacation day to party..."
And yes, because we weren't enough people, the base did not send a bus. Once again I took two more busses to the base.......:laughing:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
On Shabbat I chanced upon a copy of the latest issue of Motzash (מוצ"ש), an Israeli Modern Orthodox weekly magazine. In it were two articles about the growing phenomenon of Chanukristmas in Israel, where Israelis treat Christmas traditions as secular and merge them with Chanukah. :cry:
Anyway, both articles, written by popular MO rabbis, made the same point you did: This claim of secularization is nonsense. But on the other hand, there's a need to fill Chanukah with empowering content of Judaism, Torah, faith, etc.