• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing the Bible

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Matthew 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. NIV

wmam

That does not answer my question. I no we are to love our own enemies but do we love the enemies of YAH?

A

angellous_evangellous

jgallandt said:
If you or your Church believe that the original author/s of the Bible where wrong, do you believe that you can/should change it?
The Church came before the Bible. We wrote it, we collected the texts and canonized it, and we have been editing it for the past 2000 years. To be more precise, we are not going to stop changing it.

wmam

NetDoc said:
Oh, it answered it alright. Who are my enemies, but the enemies of God?
Oh .... o.k.

I was thinking in terms of ones personal enemies and not that of YAH that we are to love but I believe differently on that of the enemies of YAH. Though vengence is His..........

I'll tell you what..........

I'll love them right up to the time He smotes them o.k.?

Are we suppose to love the world to being that we have all this love going on?

Scuba Pete

That's up to you, wmam. While I don't love the world, I surely love those STUCK in the world.

joeboonda

12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

(King James Bible, Psalms)

3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

(King James Bible, 2 Timothy)

Did God preserve His word to us like he promised? Did Jesus lie when he said not one jot nor tittle would pass away? Did God lie when he said he would preserve his word forever? Is his word not a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path? I believe we have God's word, we can rely on it, we can trust it for all matters of life and death, salvation, doctrine, etc. Anyway, I trust it, and have found it to be true and accurate and helpful in all things I deal with in my life. Just my opinion.

wmam

joeboonda said:
3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
This is of the LAW. As much as many have tried to change the Scriptures into what they want it to say for anything to keep them from doing the will of YAH, the Truth still stands and will glare at them 'til the end of time.

Scuba Pete

joeboonda said:
Did God preserve His word to us like he promised? Did Jesus lie when he said not one jot nor tittle would pass away? Did God lie when he said he would preserve his word forever? Is his word not a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path? I believe we have God's word, we can rely on it, we can trust it for all matters of life and death, salvation, doctrine, etc. Anyway, I trust it, and have found it to be true and accurate and helpful in all things I deal with in my life. Just my opinion.
You are confusing scripture with the Word of God. They are not the same thing.

wmam

NetDoc said:
If they are not the same then are you insinuating that one or the other is false then?

A

angellous_evangellous

NetDoc said:
Very good point, NetDoc. Most folks miss this...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
If it were up to me, I'd add the Gospel of Thomas to the Bible.

Right beside John, that would be interesting! Along with some other texts that were left out... I think they would give a more complete view of who Jesus was, not just one view. The early Christians certainly weren't united on who Jesus was and what it meant to be a Christian and while it may have been important at the time to unify just to survive, I think Christianity is so big now that it can handle some differing viewpoints, imo.

I think the texts and documents in the Bible have been changed time and time again over the ages and trying to change it back to whatever the original would have been would be futile and impossible. So, all I would change is our attitude towards it and not view it as literal and/or inerrant.

Scuba Pete

wmam said:
If they are not the same then are you insinuating that one or the other is false then?
Why would I insinuate such a thing? I stated that they are different. As others have since pointed out, many don't understand or see the distinction.

A

angellous_evangellous

Maize said:

Right beside John, that would be interesting! Along with some other texts that were left out... I think they would give a more complete view of who Jesus was, not just one view. The early Christians certainly weren't united on who Jesus was and what it meant to be a Christian and while it may have been important at the time to unify just to survive, I think Christianity is so big now that it can handle some differing viewpoints, imo.

I think the texts and documents in the Bible have been changed time and time again over the ages and trying to change it back to whatever the original would have been would be futile and impossible. So, all I would change is our attitude towards it and not view it as literal and/or inerrant.
We can give it our best guess. The goal of textual criticism is to sort out the best guess of what the originals might have said, and the techniques of text criticism are the most reliable methodological study of the New Testament. It is because of text criticism that we even know that the Bible has been edited.

wmam

NetDoc said:
Why would I insinuate such a thing? I stated that they are different. As others have since pointed out, many don't understand or see the distinction.
You stated that.........

NetDoc said:
The Word, or Truth, of Elohim is within the Scriptures as the Scriptures are within the Truth. They are to be one in purpose and understanding so how can one say that one is confused of the other? That would make one or the other false. One upholds the other or it doesn't. When one quotes Scriptures then they are in fact quoting the same if in fact it is something that upholds the Truth. Some believe that the Scriptures as a whole are the inspired Word of Elohim. Some believe, as I think you do, that it is broken up into what Elohim said and that of what man said. Yes............. this is True but that which man said was to glorify and to uphold the will of Elohim. Therefore they are in one accordance and purpose. There is no confusion other than that of what the unrighteous man would have others to believe.

Scuba Pete

Trot out some scriptures or are you making this up as you go along?

Show me where the scriptures claim to be inerrant.

Show me where the scriptures claim to be the Word of God.