• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing our forum software? Make a donation

Rex

Founder
I have been doing some research about changing out forum software over to the more advanced system called Vbulletin or VB.

I was just wondering what you guys think about it.

Here is the site: http://www.vbulletin.com/ , so please go check it out and tell me what you think.

The only problem is the software costs like $150 or something so it might be awhile untill I can actually purchase it. The google ads on the site has generated maybe 1/5 of that cost in 2 months, so maybe in 8 months we can make the move.. :cry:

x-click-but21.gif

Click Here

Pah

Uber all member
http://www.theologyweb.com/index.php? and http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/index.php? has that system but it has been modified by hackers to include an unimagineable number of "bells and whistles". Of the "vanilla" Vb systems there is not much more than this system. One difference might be the post formatting code that are available.

All that is from a member's perspective. There may be significant differences in administrative functions not apparent to me.

The only "complaint" I have here is that posts sometimes have no "word wrap" and sometimes the cursor position disappears. Other than that it is clean and functional

What makes this place great is the policies of enforced tolerance and curtesy - unlike any other board I've investigated. That is the reason I left Tweb and the reason I'll stay here.

Rex

Founder
True True.

But VB is just awesome, there are so many features that can be added for the users is unbelievable. Plus it is very clean looking and can fit every screen resolution size.

It's just an upgrade from phpbb. FREE vs Paid. The ultimate battle. I would love to have VB here but again $160 is not something I have just laying around being a poor college kid. hehe

Anybody have $160 ?

hehe

Pah

Uber all member
Rex_Admin said:
True True.

But VB is just awesome, there are so many features that can be added for the users is unbelievable. Plus it is very clean looking and can fit every screen resolution size.

It's just an upgrade from phpbb. FREE vs Paid. The ultimate battle. I would love to have VB here but again $160 is not something I have just laying around being a poor college kid. hehe

Anybody have $160 ?

hehe

I've been thinking about it too since the last post. It is awesome and will go over well with the membership once it is learned. It has better editting and much more formatting code than BBCode. Tweb , at least, had personal recogniotion by "pearls" instead of "frubals" - I think that's standard to VB

September is the month I start to draw Social Security - there'll be some "extra" money available if ya can wait that long. We also may have some left over after putting in a lawn (about an acre and a half). I would really like to help and I'm sure others can "chip" in too!

Rex

Founder
I figured I would show a list of generic features is comes with standard. This does not even include the 100s of hacks we can apply to the software!

General Forum Features
Threads

Thread display options - sort by, sort order, from date
Thread and forum subscription (notification by email optional)
Thread preview on mouse-over (optional, via Admin CP)
Active Users viewing thread shown
New Post Indicator
Printer Friendly versions on threads
Admin tools for Threads - edit/delete/move/lock/Make sticky/ etc
Email page to a friend option
Similar Threads displayed on all thread views

Linear, Threaded, Hybrid display views available
Supports BB Code in posts
Supports HTML in post
Smilies
Optional WYSIWYG or standard editors for posts and Private Messages
Attachment images (.gif,.jpg, etc) are no longer in the database (optional, via Admin CP)
Quick reply box (with optional "forced" click on post to quote)
Preview post option
Post rating
User reputation
Polls
Post Reporting - report posts to moderators
User post count
Admin tools for Posts - edit/delete/move/ etc
Preview safe attachments

Members

Member List
Member Search
User Style picker
Private Messaging
Buddy list
Member Birthdays shown on Forum home

Calendar Features

Supports multiple private and public calendars
Viewable public and private events (adminCP option)
Weekly, monthly and yearly views
Jump to Today option
Add single, ranged or recurring events
Add all day events
Option to show calendar event on forum home page (adminCP option)
Show events to specific usergroups (adminCP option)
Calendar Moderation
Private events reminder
Ability to add custom fields

General
Who's online
Search

User Control Panel Features
Editable user profile

This information can be viewed by other members from the member list. Custom user title, URL home page, date of birth, instant messaging medium, location, occupation, biography, interests, vB version, plus any other custom user fields that may be defined by the administrator

Profile pictures

Allows members to upload pictures that can be viewed in the users' profile.

Private Messaging

Pop-up notification when new PM recieved
Private Message Tracking
Private Message filing in custom folders

User Options

These include Daylight Savings options, forum style chooser, selection of notification types for PM, emails etc, thread display options, WYSIWYG editor options, language chooser, vCard downloads to allow the user profile to be placed into an address book

Attachment Management

View attachment statistics - shows limit and used space
View the attachments you have posted (link or thumbnail views available)
Remove attachments

Admin Defined Avatars
Custom Avatars - upload from your own computer or specify a URL

General

View and manage subscribed threads and forums
Calendar event reminders for subscribed events
Pop-up auto-refreshing buddylist with ICQ-style alerts when new buddies come online
Signature Editor
Email and password changes require current password
Joinable Public User Groups

Admin Control Panel Features
Styling & Templates

Templated system
Conditionals supported in the templates
Ability to create multiple styles which can be applied to different forums and users
Ability to upload / download styles and languages

Language & Phrase Management

Language manager - allows you to easily translate you forums in any language
Multiple languages supported
Phrase manager

Users & Usergroups

User registration options
User banning (by name & IP)
Global ignore user aka 'Tachy goes to Coventry' - when enabled all posts by the specified user will be ignored/unseen by other members. Automatically added to the all users ingnore lists
Unlimited Moderators and SuperModerators
Permission system, based on user, usergroup or forums

Board Maintenance

Task Scheduler
Control Panel, Moderator & Task logs
Board statistics
Maintentance - Database backups, table repair
Post Prunning

Moderation

Moderation queues for user registration and posting
Calendar moderation

Import Facility

Import facility - import posts and members seamlessly upgrade from other bulletin board systems, including Infopop's Ultimate Bulletin Board, UBBThreads, OpenTopic, ezboard, and Ikonboard

Attachments

Multiple attachments and types (types defeined by admin in CP)
Attachment thumbnails (requires PHP to have GD enabled)
Storage type options for attachements (database or file system)
Attachment moderation

General

Multiple calendars supported
Paid Subscriptions (PayPal, WorldPay, NOCHEX and Authorize.net)
Private forums
COPPA compliant
Server Settings and Optimisation options configurable via the adminCP
Editable FAQ for your own boards
Context sensitive help throughout the adminCP

THE DEVIL

Rex_Admin said:
I have been doing some research about changing out forum software over to the more advanced system called Vbulletin or VB.

I was just wondering what you guys think about it.

Here is the site: http://www.vbulletin.com/ , so please go check it out and tell me what you think.

The only problem is the software costs like $150 or something so it might be awhile untill I can actually purchase it. The google ads on the site has generated maybe 1/5 of that cost in 2 months, so maybe in 8 months we can make the move.. :cry:

x-click-but21.gif

Click Here

I would say no to the vboard. I found your board very unique, and although there are many on the internet excited about everything new, they often lose sight of what has come before. I actually wrote about your board, rex, at phpbb, to the site leader (a jelly donut). I mentioned that I'd never seen anything like it, and that your smilies were very, very unique. He was ignorant of the creative side of the thing. Often with these tech types they see the mountain but they miss the flame. In other words they ain't moses or anything. I prefer your board the way it is in other words. And it's nice to go with the familiar sometimes. The site has grown in a short time but I see no need to change the look... it looks real nice, rex. Anyway I've said my opinion. You do what you have to.

THE DEVIL

pah said:
http://www.theologyweb.com/index.php? and http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/index.php? has that system but it has been modified by hackers to include an unimagineable number of "bells and whistles". Of the "vanilla" Vb systems there is not much more than this system. One difference might be the post formatting code that are available.

All that is from a member's perspective. There may be significant differences in administrative functions not apparent to me.

The only "complaint" I have here is that posts sometimes have no "word wrap" and sometimes the cursor position disappears. Other than that it is clean and functional

What makes this place great is the policies of enforced tolerance and curtesy - unlike any other board I've investigated. That is the reason I left Tweb and the reason I'll stay here.

Well said.