• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changing minds...

Tristesse

I'm just curious. Has anyone on RF had their mind changed on any position? Whether it's your religious beliefs or lackthereof, or your position on gay rights, evolution etc..? Has anyone on here been converted to a different religion based on evidence or arguments, or has anyone left their religious beliefs based on evidence or arguments, and if so, what was the evidence or argument that changed your position? Keep in mind, I'm referring to having your position changed while being a member of RF, not before. And if it was someone on RF that changed your position, all the better. Thanks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting.
I'd add a question....what was the attitude of those who affected your views....friendly, neutral, argumentative, hostile?

Photonic

Ad astra!
I'd add a question....what was the attitude of those who affected your views....friendly, neutral, argumentative, hostile?

I've never responded well to someone who was hostile, but that hasn't stopped be from noting the points in their view and pondering on them, and in the end absorb them as knowledge.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh yea. On a number of occasions I had moved in different directions, paused, and bowed out based on what others have put forth on the forum. Tetra, Smoke, Zenzero, Mystic, Chinu* have all put forth information that resonated well enough to cause a change in thoughts and trust me, a whole slew of others are responsible as well for making me a much better researcher than before on the various topics at hand, and even more importiantly, made me a better person for it overall. Not all were through posted content either, as I am affected by a persons demeanor and disposition on how they carried themselves through debate and conversation. Even during instances where compassion** applies by way of the kousaku stick in the Zen tradition as it were.

I would say my most memorable change of direction here was brought about during a heated debate whereby Zenzero interjected, who through his own examples of kindness and compassion, has since then caused me to reflect and temper my own disposition where as before my own emotions and ego would become enflamed more frequently, and as a result get at times stuck on a mental monorail cursing to myself as I type.

*Who sorta reminds me of a fellow who went by the name Flakey from another E-forum years ago. I really miss that dude and drink a cup of hot apple tea in his honor.

** Easily confused with being an ******* when its not really the case.

Tristesse

Oh yea. On a number of occasions I had moved in different directions, paused, and bowed out based on what others have put forth on the forum. Tetra, Smoke, Zenzero, Mystic, Chinu* have all put forth information that resonated well enough to cause a change in thoughts and trust me, a whole slew of others are responsible as well for making me a much better researcher than before on the various topics at hand, and even more importiantly, made me a better person for it overall. Not all were through posted content either, as I am affected by a persons demeanor and disposition on how they carried themselves through debate and conversation. Even during instances where compassion** applies by way of the kousaku stick in the Zen tradition as it were.

I would say my most memorable change of direction here was brought about during a heated debate whereby Zenzero interjected, who through his own examples of kindness and compassion, has since then caused me to reflect and temper my own disposition where as before my own emotions and ego would become enflamed more frequently, and as a result get at times stuck on a mental monorail cursing to myself as I type.

*Who sorta reminds me of a fellow who went by the name Flakey from another E-forum years ago. I really miss that dude and drink a cup of hot apple tea in his honor.

** Easily confused with being an ******* when its not really the case.

Thats great to hear(or read as the case may be). Changing minds is a powerful tool, particularly in the case of religion. If you don't mind me asking, what were your religious views prior to becoming a member of RF? Have they changed?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm just curious. Has anyone on RF had their mind changed on any position? Whether it's your religious beliefs or lackthereof, or your position on gay rights, evolution etc..? Has anyone on here been converted to a different religion based on evidence or arguments, or has anyone left their religious beliefs based on evidence or arguments, and if so, what was the evidence or argument that changed your position? Keep in mind, I'm referring to having your position changed while being a member of RF, not before. And if it was someone on RF that changed your position, all the better. Thanks.
I don't think that my own personal position on any major issue has swung from one end of the spectrum to the other, but I think I've mellowed a lot on my feelings toward other views.

...for the most part. There are a few issues where I think my stance has become hardened or more extreme; the two that come to mind are LGBT rights and abortion. I think the opposition I've seen to these things here (definitely not from everyone, but from some people) has taught me that what is good and right (IMO) is under constant threat, and it's important for me to defend it.

On these two issues, I think that being challenged has made me less tolerant of the other side, not more. While talking to people who I disagree with on these helps me to understand the rationale for their position, I think I care more about the people who would be negatively impacted by their views than I do about the people's ability to express (or at least act on) those views.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've changed my mind on some minor details, but nothing really major or anything about my faith itself.

Tristesse

I don't think that my own personal position on any major issue has swung from one end of the spectrum to the other, but I think I've mellowed a lot on my feelings toward other views.

...for the most part. There are a few issues where I think my stance has become hardened or more extreme; the two that come to mind are LGBT rights and abortion. I think the opposition I've seen to these things here (definitely not from everyone, but from some people) has taught me that what is good and right (IMO) is under constant threat, and it's important for me to defend it.

On these two issues, I think that being challenged has made me less tolerant of the other side, not more. While talking to people who I disagree with on these helps me to understand the rationale for their position, I think I care more about the people who would be negatively impacted by their views than I do about the people's ability to express (or at least act on) those views.

I feel very strongly about equal rights for everyone aswell. Thats why I think it's our duty to change minds with reasoned argument and evidence. And if you don't have a reasonable position, then it deserves to be torn down and in some cases ridiculed.

CynthiaCypher

I change my mind on evolution..I used to think it just might have a purpose...but alas evolution doesn't...also i learnt my hopes of bionic immortality aren't going to come true

Twilight Hue

Thats great to hear(or read as the case may be). Changing minds is a powerful tool, particularly in the case of religion. If you don't mind me asking, what were your religious views prior to becoming a member of RF? Have they changed?

About a decade ago I was a passionate Bible oriented Christian who little by little had became disenchanted over the years and painfully left that faith looking around for something more foundationally based on direct reality. I experimented around a bit, and stumbled across Taoism and Buddhist philosophy by way of another forum, and investigated it further, I was still wary in light of what had transpired during my sojurn with Christianity, so I scrutinized and kicked the tires as best I could for a year or two, and lastly found Zen practice so far as being the most reliable way for keeping the boots on the ground, and to experience a more natural understanding through direct illumination, rather than just through cogizent trains of thought that could trail off into something more ethereal.

*I actually was first exposed to some Taoist philosophy during my time as a Christian, as I held an interest in Martial arts, and additionaly watched loads of silly Kung-fu movies including poor lip syncing and all the crazy sound effects. :O)

outhouse

Atheistically

Yes

Fallingblood changed my mind about historical jesus, through education.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
About a decade ago I was a passionate Bible oriented Christian who little by little had became disenchanted over the years and painfully left that faith looking around for something more foundationally based on direct reality. I experimented around a bit, and stumbled across Taoism and Buddhist philosophy by way of another forum, and investigated it further, I was still wary in light of what had transpired during my sojurn with Christianity, so I scrutinized and kicked the tires as best I could for a year or two, and lastly found Zen practice so far as being the most reliable way for keeping the boots on the ground, and to experience a more natural understanding through direct illumination, rather than just through cogizent trains of thought that could trail off into something more ethereal.

*I actually was first exposed to some Taoist philosophy during my time as a Christian, as I held an interest in Martial arts, and additionaly watched loads of silly Kung-fu movies including poor lip syncing and all the crazy sound effects. :O)

I STILL watch all those old kung-fu movies with the bad lip syncing and poor choreography and only halfway decent story lines. I think I'm the only left who still does. :p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Before I joined RF, I thought a lot of religions had a lot of similar teachings, and found out that I was right about that- learning here. :)

Twilight Hue

I STILL watch all those old kung-fu movies with the bad lip syncing and poor choreography and only halfway decent story lines. I think I'm the only left who still does. :p

LOL Those were the times. Kung-fu theater in my area as it was called. Couldn't wait each time it aired especially when I mimic the moves with my buds.
We all were kung-fu fighting!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My mind has changed regarding certain people. Some people whom I thought were smart and/or had a sense of humor, turned out to be dullards, and other people whom I thought were kind of slow, turned out to be more insightful than I originally thought.