• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes to the Endowment

Watchmen

Premium Member
I just read there were major changes made to the endowment. It’s now more of a slide show than a movie, the wording of coveneants was changed to eliminate the sexism, and women no longer have to veil their faces in the prayer circle.

Has anyone experienced this revised endowment? Thoughts?

I’m reading that some find it a welcome change while others feel the sexist issues are being quietly swept under the rug without acknowledgment.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I’m not asking anyone to break his/her covenants. Just wondering what people think.

MJS

In my experience the changes are not major at all. Very minor. There was a moment where women make covenants to be obedient to the commandments that her husband receives from the Lord (very patriarchal) and that was changed to the woman making covenants directly with the Lord. Indeed they no longer veil their faces at key points (their faces were only veiled for a small part of it before, which was a symbolic gesture). I'm probably forgetting other changes, but it all seemed very minor to me.

FYI, there have been many, many changes to the endowment ceremony over the years. It has been a very fluid thing. The core aspects of it (the things that you are supposed to keep sacred and not talk about outside of the temple) have remained the same.

Watchmen

Premium Member
In my experience the changes are not major at all. Very minor. There was a moment where women make covenants to be obedient to the commandments that her husband receives from the Lord (very patriarchal) and that was changed to the woman making covenants directly with the Lord. Indeed they no longer veil their faces at key points (their faces were only veiled for a small part of it before, which was a symbolic gesture). I'm probably forgetting other changes, but it all seemed very minor to me.

FYI, there have been many, many changes to the endowment ceremony over the years. It has been a very fluid thing. The core aspects of it (the things that you are supposed to keep sacred and not talk about outside of the temple) have remained the same.
Core aspects haven’t changed? I guess that’s subjective.