• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changed religion so many times, reluctant to label myself..

FranklinMichaelV.3

It's hard to say yes because you mean in your heart you're not sure that you believe in God and Jesus ?

I don't think that it is a disbelief in God or Jesus (not trying to speak for NoraSariah), but more to do with religion itself.

I like to think people don't turn away from God, they turn away from the way religion defines God.

NoraSariah

It's hard to say yes because you mean in your heart you're not sure that you believe in God and Jesus ?

Yeah, exactly. Like, do I believe what I was raised with because I think it's true, or because I was told it was true from an early age?

NoraSariah

I don't think that it is a disbelief in God or Jesus (not trying to speak for NoraSariah), but more to do with religion itself.

I like to think people don't turn away from God, they turn away from the way religion defines God.

That's another part of it. It just depends on the type of God, if that makes sense.

FranklinMichaelV.3

That's another part of it. It just depends on the type of God, if that makes sense.

I understand where you are coming from.

I grew up in a Christian Household, and I consider myself christian, but while others look around and see an angry or extremely loving God. I see a God that merely created us to be what we were. That any differentation is of our own making and not Gods.

Maija

i love that this thread continued in my absence. i came back to Monotheistic hinduism, specifically vaishnavism which i had left more bc of religious guilt which i can go into later.

i am out at the park with the bebe but will respond after she goes down for a nap

Maija

So the update:

I did try and go back to Islam for maybe 3 months, this was a very trying time for my relationship, given a few factors.

My husband is not a Muslim (we tried hanging out with other Muslim couples at the time and I tried to lead a good example) he drinks alcohol on occasion, usually when with family, eats pork when he wants to. He did not like seeing me in hijab or abaya like when I went to the mosque and had definite fears that I would wear hijab- this was understandable, changes are not always easy for someone when they are drastic!

From my perspective, if I take on a religion, I want to do it correctly, I would WANT to wear hijab because the religion I felt, asks that. I would WANT my marriage to be valid and thus have a husband who if he at least didn't practice 100%, respected the faith. This was asking a lot for a man with no spiritual upbringing, though he has the qualities most spiritual aspirants seek in his demeanor, the understanding of why one would need to make changes that seemed unnecessary, i.e. what does being a good religious person have to do with eating pork or covering hair-things we now know answers to, these were not clear to him.

In the end, I decided this was not a path that he would see as a good match. Given that I feel that there is more than one path way to God, I figured a happy marriage is something that is also key to spiritual health.

To say, I left practicing Islam for my husband sounds so easy to judge, granted there will be those who sit there and think that. I think the greater message is that, I DO want my husband to discover God through a pathway that is a good match for him, that is a big priority for me, to eventually be on the same path to God with him. I felt like teaching my daughter about religion would be hard if our views were splintered, I would be risking her rebelling against either one of us and I don't want a child raised in a home without a solid foundation/faith.

So, this has brought me back to Vaishnavism. It's interesting, I left because things got too intense, people might have heard me say this before: If you are doing anything right, it can get very intense or intimate (not of course in an inappropriate sense!). I felt like I was bitten by the bhakti bug, I felt ecstatic during kirtan, I would feel weight lifted and so close to God, moments that felt effervescent (light and sweet) and full of epiphany.

At the same time, I felt, this religion is so different on the surface, especially to explain, than what I have come from. It was hard for me to say, I practice Vaishnavism or Hinduism because one is so foreign I'd have to explain it and I didn't know how without losing people and the other seemed so vague and still foreign to people.

Coming from an Abrahamic path I feared the direction I was heading, was it the right one? And so I went back to something more familiar, something which left me blocking out mantras and banning thoughts from my head.
After a while I felt like it was not as meaningful, like I made a fear based decision...

Here I had been praying for years for God to show me the path for me. I prayed for Him to make it known whichever path I should choose and I would follow without second thought. I didn't choose Sanatana Dharma or love of Hinduism, to be honest I would not have choosen something so far from my own although it always fascinated me.

I read the Gita and was very quickly seeing things in a more positive light, whereas I'd felt so spiritually lost and lifeless, far from God, hear I was, walking and singing and feeling this very presence of the Divine near to me.

After leaving Islam (a religion I do love and respect, I think it requires a full supporti, i.e. husband and wife practicing, or at least full respect in many cases) and please don't think I had a bad experience with the religion, or that I left because of things I didn't agree with...

I realized that I had not completely trusted God, here I'd prayed for a sign or a message and God just came directly to me, in a name I'd not known but with His same love and compassion. On one side I could be doubtful, thinking...what Hinduism and is it the way?

But, why would God at a time of vulnerability, send something into my path that made me realize Him so much more, if it was a wayward way for me?

Sometimes answers come in different forms.

That is my story till now.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I believe this hits the nail right on the head. People get entrapped in the externals, rules and regulations of religions and lose sight of God. I've seen this in Christianity, I see it in Hinduism, I see it in Buddhism, and believe it or not, I see it in religious Taosim.

Maija

I believe this hits the nail right on the head. People get entrapped in the externals, rules and regulations of religions and lose sight of God. I've seen this in Christianity, I see it in Hinduism, I see it in Buddhism, and believe it or not, I see it in religious Taosim.

Yes, ^ THIS ^

Also, the more I found truth in many religions, it became a bit of a turn off when other religions preach superiority or having a monopoly over salvation.

At times, when I've been overly fearful or vulnerable, this can be a security blanket, "Oh, I'll get into Heaven following this path, it says right here- it's the 'only way..'" but at other times I know for a fact I've seen truth in other religions, it seems just, for a lack of a better word, wrong.

dynavert2012

After leaving Islam (a religion I do love and respect, I think it requires a full supporti, i.e. husband and wife practicing, or at least full respect in many cases) and please don't think I had a bad experience with the religion, or that I left because of things I didn't agree with...

I realized that I had not completely trusted God, here I'd prayed for a sign or a message and God just came directly to me, in a name I'd not known but with His same love and compassion. On one side I could be doubtful, thinking...what Hinduism and is it the way?

let me show my sadness for reading your leaving for Islam.
i'm not wondering of finding a sense of truth in any other religions as i think these religions maybe revealed by Allah to a certain nations like india or china but then it's modified by the age by ppl's actions, so it's logical to find a truth in it but i can say it's not the full truth that the god wills us to follow as i believe

if the only reason you left islam for was your husband so please excuse me for my words but i have to say it for your benefit
your husband is a man who you shouldn't love more than Allah, Allah said "And do not marry polytheistic women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you. And do not marry polytheistic men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. And He makes clear His verses to the people that perhaps they may remember." 2:221 so Allah alerted you from choosing a man and leaving the god for him, then you are exchanging what is better for what is less

Allah could let that man die now, so what will you do? return back to Islam?may you do and may Allah will accept you but do you think that you will be in Allah's gaze like a woman who left her family and husband for Allah only seeking his mercy and satisfaction.

Allah told us that anybody we will follow in a misguided way he will disassociate us in the other life and just cares about himself even he will not know us, Allah said "And [yet], among the people are those who take other than Allah as equals [to Him]. They love them as they [should] love Allah . But those who believe are stronger in love for Allah . And if only they who have wronged would consider [that] when they see the punishment, [they will be certain] that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishment, [And they should consider that] when those who have been followed disassociate themselves from those who followed [them], and they [all] see the punishment, and cut off from them are the ties [of relationship],
Those who followed will say, "If only we had another turn [at worldly life] so we could disassociate ourselves from them as they have disassociated themselves from us." Thus will Allah show them their deeds as regrets upon them. And they are never to emerge from the Fire.: 2:165-167

and said too"But when there comes the Deafening Blast, On the Day a man will flee from his brother, And his mother and his father, And his wife and his children,For every man, that Day, will be a matter adequate for him." 80:33-37

so it's a lost bargain
i'm sorry if my words were tough i don't mean that but i would say to be angry from me now is better than you regret in the other life

but if you have any comments about the Islam itself then you can post it in the islam DIR to be discussed there

wishing best regards

Maija

Hi Dynavert,

Thanks for your comments.
I appreciate your words, I know they come from love.

Read about hinduism, most Hindus can tell you themselves, God is one, His names are many.

i'm not wondering of finding a sense of truth in any other religions as i think these religions maybe revealed by Allah to a certain nations like india or china but then it's modified by the age by ppl's actions, so it's logical to find a truth in it but i can say it's not the full truth that the god wills us to follow as i believe

And yes, religion changes with time, I don't see Islam being a religion uncorrupted with time or culture. I see a religion started by the prophet S.A.W which advanced womens rights, brought them a higher status, voting rights, inheritance. i see a man who sought peace between non muslims and muslims...today I see the opposite, while I'm not going to get into politics or airing dirty laundry, but, women fighting to drive, vote, child brides. We can throw sticks and stones, now religion is uncorrupted by humans, we can ALL agree. Religions are made perfect by God, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and etc...and humans misinterpret and ruin their image.

let's just say that if I were to go back to any Abrahamic religion, it would be Christianity.

Regards,

Last edited:

Maija

I didn't respond to the scriptural quotes because every religious text will say that it is the right path or the best, which one do you rely on? The one which came first?

In the BG, Krishna states all come through Him, even if you call Him other names, it is all the same. Jesus, also states that all must go through Him too. The Quran will say something else, in the end every religious text will answer questions if you have them. It becomes not about which answers are right, but which ones are the best fit.

Who am I to be seeking God and think, this Torah has gotten it wrong? This Bible is incorrect, people who were far brighter than I, inspired by God, sent by God were incorrect. I don't think God sent religions like this to confuse us.

In the end, God wants us to know Him and approach Him and sent many options to cater to different cultures and personalities.

In the end I prefer not to debate based on quotes/scripture for this reason, not because I am unfamiliar, but unless you stick within the same faith leads no where but division.

I didn't respond to the scriptural quotes because every religious text will say that it is the right path or the best, which one do you rely on? The one which came first?

In the BG, Krishna states all come through Him, even if you call Him other names, it is all the same. Jesus, also states that all must go through Him too. The Quran will say something else, in the end every religious text will answer questions if you have them. It becomes not about which answers are right, but which ones are the best fit.

Who am I to be seeking God and think, this Torah has gotten it wrong? This Bible is incorrect, people who were far brighter than I, inspired by God, sent by God were incorrect. I don't think God sent religions like this to confuse us.

In the end, God wants us to know Him and approach Him and sent many options to cater to different cultures and personalities.

Your own Helen Keller quote gives you your answer. Our God is invisible, but there is that truth that burns in your heart and then you know you have found our God. There is only one truth. :candle:

Maija

Your own Helen Keller quote gives you your answer. Our God is invisible, but there is that truth that burns in your heart and then you know you have found our God. There is only one truth. :candle:

Sometimes we just need reassurance, we are inspired by so many paths..are they all not too beautiful to pick one? And then you are made to feel like your faith is weak...I've never doubted the existence of God, I'm glad we're on the same page.

Let's be friends, ok?

dynavert2012

Hi Dynavert,

Thanks for your comments.
I appreciate your words, I know they come from love.

Read about hinduism, most Hindus can tell you themselves, God is one, His names are many.

And yes, religion changes with time, I don't see Islam being a religion uncorrupted with time or culture. I see a religion started by the prophet S.A.W which advanced womens rights, brought them a higher status, voting rights, inheritance. i see a man who sought peace between non muslims and muslims...today I see the opposite, while I'm not going to get into politics or airing dirty laundry, but, women fighting to drive, vote, child brides. We can throw sticks and stones, now religion is uncorrupted by humans, we can ALL agree. Religions are made perfect by God, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and etc...and humans misinterpret and ruin their image.

let's just say that if I were to go back to any Abrahamic religion, it would be Christianity.

Regards,

what pushed me to write to you that i felt that the reason of your conversion is your husband not an internal faith in Hinduism or refuting the Islam, i'm not judging or refuting you, it's not my duty nor right to do but this is what i felt from your words

Allah not sending all of this religions to confuse us but if you look for the religions you will find it for a particular ppl not for all the mankind except Islam, Hinduism was for India, Moses & Jesus for Israel and so on but Mohamed was for all the mankind as the quran states and as the prophet did when he sent messages to Egypt, Persia and Romans inviting them for Islam

misunderstanding of a religion by the ppl not means it's a corrupted religion, but means stupidity of the followers, nothing more
being a Muslim or not is your own decision, i'm just wishing the best for all

dynavert2012

In the end I prefer not to debate based on quotes/scripture for this reason, not because I am unfamiliar, but unless you stick within the same faith leads no where but division.

sorry if posting verses lead you to think that i'm calling for debate, i don't mean that at all, i'm just posting them to remind you by them

as i said before different religions isn't a confusion at least for me, if we consider them as a confusion so why the god doesn't send only one propeht? suggestions?

Maija

what pushed me to write to you that i felt that the reason of your conversion is your husband not an internal faith in Hinduism or refuting the Islam, i'm not judging or refuting you, it's not my duty nor right to do but this is what i felt from your words

Allah not sending all of this religions to confuse us but if you look for the religions you will find it for a particular ppl not for all the mankind except Islam, Hinduism was for India, Moses & Jesus for Israel and so on but Mohamed was for all the mankind as the quran states and as the prophet did when he sent messages to Egypt, Persia and Romans inviting them for Islam

misunderstanding of a religion by the ppl not means it's a corrupted religion, but means stupidity of the followers, nothing more
being a Muslim or not is your own decision, i'm just wishing the best for all

What made it apparent that Hinduism is only for India? What county is Buddhism only for, Im interested. Or Judaism? im afraid to think jews all over the world might be rather upset to learn that they are not rightfully jews or sikhs or christians if they arent in they arent native to the right country.

it does complicate things when you've had a history of conquering and converting. what about ppl who practiced African or tribal, indegenious religions and embraced christianity when missionaries came through? should they remain in their animist religions or accept truth?

no debating, i was just both surprised and interested, intrigued.

while you may not want to absorb any of the teachings in these other religious, it might be useful to get an overview of the history of such religions before making such claims, even when we speak from opinion, our opinion stands stronger if that initial interest or slight research was performed. for ie most Hindus will tell you that God is one, they are monotheistic, like the 99 names of Allah, all under one being.

nonetheless, it always beneficial to see diff POVs, thanks for your well wishings- hoping it all is well for you.

Last edited:

Maija

sorry if posting verses lead you to think that i'm calling for debate, i don't mean that at all, i'm just posting them to remind you by them

as i said before different religions isn't a confusion at least for me, if we consider them as a confusion so why the god doesn't send only one propeht? suggestions?

I dont understand the way you have worded that last phrase, but yes, God has sent many prophets throughout time.

thanks for the reminders, D.

dynavert2012

What made it apparent that Hinduism is only for India?

as i know that this religion wasn't known out of India, so in ancient times you won't find a Hindi in Egypt, Europe, pr any other place even i can't find that there was a Hindi temple outside India in the ancient time, that means it wasn't out of India, Moses was sent to the sons of Israel only it's mentioned in the Torah and he was just asking the Egyptians to let the Israelis go he didn't travel for yemen as an example and asking them to believe in him nor any other place just the blessed lands

Jesus said that too in the gospel that he was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel not also to the whole mankind, Christians are debating about that, but i care only about what Jesus himself said
and the same for Ishmael he was only for Arabs. only Mohamed who was sent to the whole mankind and he said that clearly in his hadith and Allah said that too in the quran..

it does complicate things when you've had a history of conquering and converting.
what do you mean by that?

what about ppl who practiced African or tribal, ingenious religions and embraced Christianity when missionaries came through? should they remain in their animist religions or accept truth?

everybody will be Judged according to what he already received, so even if they died with African religions and they don't hear about anything else, surly they will be judged according to what they had received, remember that Allah is merciful and fair
while you may not want to absorb any of the teachings in these other religious, it might be useful to get an overview of the history of such religions before making such claims, even when we speak from opinion, our opinion stands stronger if that initial interest or slight research was performed. for ie most Hindus will tell you that God is one, they are monotheistic, like the 99 names of Allah, all under one being.

i know that i don't say they are worshiping multiple gods, yes this was my initial idea but then i know it's only god