• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenging Judaism's politics

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Leviticus 19:34

"When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong.The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God. 35'You shall do no wrong in judgment, in measurement of weight, or capacity.…"

-Leviticus19:34

I was sad someone who was a holocaust survivor said 2:18.......I do remember Hitler saying the same something similar about "his country."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

rosends

"When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong.The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God. 35'You shall do no wrong in judgment, in measurement of weight, or capacity.…"

I was sad someone who was a holocaust survivor said 2:18.......I do remember Hitler saying the same something similar about "his country."
That's a difficult position to take not because one might feel empathy or believe that a proper domestic policy would operate differently, but because the Jewish understanding of the verse in question has nothing to do with the political situation you try to apply it to.

There are also Jewish quotes about abiding by law and exercising justice even when one might wish to be merciful (and vice versa). Conflating a literal reading of a verse with the political machinations of a secular government won't lead to clarity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Meanwhile, I am still waiting for some clarification on why Muslims are so consistently inimical to Israel.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
That's a difficult position to take not because one might feel empathy or believe that a proper domestic policy would operate differently, but because the Jewish understanding of the verse in question has nothing to do with the political situation you try to apply it to.
Rather, Jewish understandings - plural. It's hard for me to believe that the interpretation of ger did not suffer from a bit of self-serving rabbinic recalibration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meanwhile, I am still waiting for some clarification on why Muslims are so consistently inimical to Israel.
What I hear from Muslims.....
Israelis take Muslim lands with help from allies (predominantly Xian nations).
Israelis (with the same help as before) abuse Muslims.
Israeli allies continue attacking Muslim countries (Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc).

Before debating & whataboutism, just consider that (right or wrong)
that these acts add up to the reason for seeing Israel as the enemy.
It becomes about religion when 2/3 of Abrahamic faiths oppose Islam.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

There are also Jewish quotes about abiding by law and exercising justice even when one might wish to be merciful (and vice versa). Conflating a literal reading of a verse with the political machinations of a secular government won't lead to clarity.

However that may be, but as a Jewish friend once told me here, Jews were given the task to observe all the laws given to them by God through the lawgiver Moses. In a similar fashion with Muslims sometimes the justice that exists within these laws do not reflect outward in their respective societies. I was really saddened by the lady who of course who stated she wants that land to be Jewish. In my view, and this is strictly my view, none of this land belongs to us. All of this land belongs to God (you and I know this) we are mere inhabitants. But if the righteousness in the scriptures does not reflect that through us then what is any group supposed to tell the world that being observant means you are to be the "light of all nations?"

With the displacement of refugees some looking for work and some wanting to escape violence and tyranny the following is a small excerpt from haaretz regarding the expulsion of Ethiopian Jews:

"We also know that Israel was very excited about the aliyah of Russian-speaking white people and even made changes in the Law of Return (amending the law in 1970) on behalf of this aliyah, while at the same time it rejected the aliyah from Ethiopia. Three years later, the Interior Ministry headed by Arye Dery – excuse me, Yosef Burg – issued deportation orders to five young Ethiopian Jews who were described as “infiltrators.”

They didn't want Ethiopian Jews in Israel, either

joe1776

Why are Muslims and Jews enemies? You could ask the same question about any two religious groups going back thousands of years.

I think it's all about the need to feel superior to others. My group is superior to yours! I doubt that it has anything to do with religion. I think religion, national pride and racial pride are just excuses. Any difference will do.

rosends

as a Jewish friend once told me here, Jews were given the task to observe all the laws given to them by God through the lawgiver Moses.
This must explain our constant stoning of those who break the Sabbath. Or is it the carrying of a shovel to bury our waste? Maybe it is that eye for an eye thing.

You are combining two separate ideas -- Jewish law and Israeli governmental policy.

It is important to understand a couple of ideas: one is that the actions are being done by Israel and not Judaism, and the second is that your particular and literal understanding of a text does not establish any normative Jewish understanding(s) of that text so your expectations about performance may be consistently disappointed but only because you are starting with an alien perception of what the text means and demands.

Shaul

Premium Member

But these aren’t strangers which are residing among the Israelis, such as Arabs or Druze Israelis. They are foreigners attempting to invade. All strangers are not the same. The more apt quotation would be, “Your country is desolate, your cities burned with fire your fields are being stripped by foreigners right before you, laid waste as when overthrown by strangers.”

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This must explain our constant stoning of those who break the Sabbath. Or is it the carrying of a shovel to bury our waste? Maybe it is that eye for an eye thing.

You are combining two separate ideas -- Jewish law and Israeli governmental policy.

It is important to understand a couple of ideas: one is that the actions are being done by Israel and not Judaism, and the second is that your particular and literal understanding of a text does not establish any normative Jewish understanding(s) of that text so your expectations about performance may be consistently disappointed but only because you are starting with an alien perception of what the text means and demands.

So Judaism has no influence in politics? Then what do you explain with the links?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
But these aren’t strangers which are residing among the Israelis, such as Arabs or Druze Israelis. They are foreigners attempting to invade. All strangers are not the same. The more apt quotation would be, “Your country is desolate, your cities burned with fire your fields are being stripped by foreigners right before you, laid waste as when overthrown by strangers.”

How do we know they're invaders? Did you look at the videos?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why are Muslims and Jews enemies? You could ask the same question about any two religious groups going back thousands of years.

I could. And in nearly all cases the answer would be "they are not, and have rarely if ever been".

Therefore, my question remains. And you will notice that I acknowledge its asymmetry, which is IMO very significant in and of itself.

Muslims very rarely have much if any sympathy for Israel and/or the Jewish People (except to the extent that they may see them as potential "reverts", perhaps).

Israel and the Jewish People tend to be much superior in their treatment of Muslims, and it shows - despite all the very significant atrocities of war.