• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge for Theists (How you can convert me to your religion)

Rational Agnostic

The Collatz conjecture is a conjecture in mathematics that concerns a sequence defined as follows: start with any positive integer n. Then each term is obtained from the previous term as follows: if the previous term is even, the next term is one half the previous term. If the previous term is odd, the next term is 3 times the previous term plus 1. The conjecture is that no matter what value of n, the sequence will always reach 1.

The Challenge: Pray to your God for a proof/disproof of the conjecture. Post the proof/disproof here. If your god gives you a valid proof/disproof, I will believe in your god and convert to your religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Collatz conjecture is a conjecture in mathematics that concerns a sequence defined as follows: start with any positive integer n. Then each term is obtained from the previous term as follows: if the previous term is even, the next term is one half the previous term. If the previous term is odd, the next term is 3 times the previous term plus 1. The conjecture is that no matter what value of n, the sequence will always reach 1.

The Challenge: Pray to your God for a proof/disproof of the conjecture. Post the proof/disproof here. If your god gives you a valid proof/disproof, I will believe in your god and convert to your religion.

What makes you think any religion would want you? (in jest)

danieldemol

Premium Member

Why would you do that? That they get 1 thing correct wouldn’t mean some religious savant got 100% of everything else in their religion correct.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why would you do that? That they get 1 thing correct wouldn’t mean some religious savant got 100% of everything else in their religion correct.

True. But then again, God doesn't prove things these days. As a teenager I was a bit distressed one time and told God if he was real, to strike me with lightning. I even cursed his name in my head to provoke him. I know it all sounds terrible, but nothing happened. Later that day, my mom figured out I was feeling down, not sure how, and took me out to eat.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Collatz conjecture is true only if you can prove the axioms of mathematical induction are true, which you can't. Pay up buddy.

Rational Agnostic

Collatz conjecture is true only if you can prove the axioms of mathematical induction are true, which you can't. Pay up buddy.

Mathematical induction has been proven to be a valid proof technique. However, induction may or may not be used in a proof of the collatz conjecture. It is only one of several proof techniques.

David T

Premium Member

i am not sure religion has a numerical system to place on god, beer, blonde and red head chicks. and crazy.

So you need to clarify how to take this song below and mathmatically state it first i think. Maybe some numerical cult might be better at it! Theists i dont think are into that. .

dianaiad

I have a question: God (at least the version of Him I believe in) created the universe. The whole shebang. Every galaxy, star and planet and all the gaseous material between worlds...of which there are countless.

Why would He drop all that and dance to your tune?

I mean, really; that's hubris.

As for my religion, we've been told how to find out if there is a God, and whether our beliefs are correct. There's a process for it; darned near scientific in its methods, steps and procedures. Before you insist upon God proving Himself to you (again, that's hubris risen to the nth power) why don't you try the method He has given us?

Some follow that set of steps and are converted. Some claim to have followed it and are not. (shrug) The belief in the existence of deity isn't something one can prove objectively, y'know.

Belief in deity is formed upon subjective evidence. And believe it or not, 'subjective' is NOT a swear word. Most good things are experienced subjectively rather than objectively. One CAN, of course, go on and on about the properties of light and how the atmosphere changes them so that different colors reach our eyes. That's perfectly valid.

Or...and 'and,'....one can exclaim over how beautiful the sunset is tonight.

And both things would be true.

The Reverend Bob

I have a question: God (at least the version of Him I believe in) created the universe. The whole shebang. Every galaxy, star and planet and all the gaseous material between worlds...of which there are countless.

Why would He drop all that and dance to your tune?

I mean, really; that's hubris.

As for my religion, we've been told how to find out if there is a God, and whether our beliefs are correct. There's a process for it; darned near scientific in its methods, steps and procedures. Before you insist upon God proving Himself to you (again, that's hubris risen to the nth power) why don't you try the method He has given us?

Some follow that set of steps and are converted. Some claim to have followed it and are not. (shrug) The belief in the existence of deity isn't something one can prove objectively, y'know.

Belief in deity is formed upon subjective evidence. And believe it or not, 'subjective' is NOT a swear word. Most good things are experienced subjectively rather than objectively. One CAN, of course, go on and on about the properties of light and how the atmosphere changes them so that different colors reach our eyes. That's perfectly valid.

Or...and 'and,'....one can exclaim over how beautiful the sunset is tonight.

And both things would be true.
So poor Hubert lost his wager in three different ways. First he can never prove the axioms of mathematical induction are true, then there is David's appeal to aesthetics which stands as reasonable and then there is your more philosophical argument. I am just wondering as to what religion we should impose on him since he lost his bet. I vote Voodoo since he seems most given to it

Rational Agnostic

So poor Hubert lost his wager in three different ways. First he can never prove the axioms of mathematical induction are true, then there is David's appeal to aesthetics which stands as reasonable and then there is your more philosophical argument. I am just wondering as to what religion we should impose on him since he lost his bet. I vote Voodoo since he seems most given to it

I didn't "lose" at anything. In fact, I won, and the rest of you lost, since y'all are too chicken to get your bubbles burst praying for something that's not gonna happen. Jokes on you. Lololol:laughing:

InChrist

Free4ever

God does not work that way. No one else can pray for proof for you or proof that would convince you. If you want proof you must seek God yourself, there is no go between. God desires a relationship with you personally and that you would seek Him directly to know of His existence or presence.

Rational Agnostic

God does not work that way. No one else can pray for proof for you or proof that would convince you. If you want proof you must seek God yourself, there is no go between. God desires a relationship with you personally and that you would seek Him directly to know of His existence or presence.

You want me to be saved and not be damned to hell, and you believe Jesus is omnipotent and wants all to be saved, right? Then, I'd suggest you get to prayin' lol, I'll be waiting for Jesus' proof of the collatz conjecture and then I will bow down and worship him with fervor and conviction.

InChrist

Free4ever
You want me to be saved and not be damned to hell, and you believe Jesus is omnipotent and wants all to be saved, right? Then, I'd suggest you get to prayin' lol, I'll be waiting for Jesus' proof of the collatz conjecture and then I will bow down and worship him with fervor and conviction.
Right...your whole tone and attitude is one of sarcasm and if I can pick up on that certainly God knows you are not sincere.

The Reverend Bob

As of now, yes. However, the challenge is still open. If anyone has the courage to take it on and pray for the proof/disproof, I will immediately admit defeat and bow down and worship the god or goddess that answered the prayer.
You got schooled boy, an atheist, an agnostic and a theist all schooled you and you don't want the lesson. We all schooled you. You thought it was going to be that easy? I got news for you. I vote you go Voodoo

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The challenge is of the God as a piñata that we can "whack" with prayers and who gives out goodies, in this case proof. The entire frame-of-reference of the question is invalid.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
God does not need to prove to anyone that be exist, it is you as a person who must do the spiritual work to understand God. God only appear when you cultivate body and mind. And if you need proof to accept him, then you misunderstand spiritual life. The more you clean your mind toward righterous living the more of God you will see and understand.