• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chabad Rabbi's Shiurim. What am I listening to?

LAGoff

I don't know what other Chabad rabbis' shiurim are like, but I go to this certain Chabad sometimes (rarely) and the rabbi talks and talks and talks (during his formal and informal shiurim) but I don't get anything out of them.
He speaks in a peculiar style to make his points, and it doesn't speak to me. I only ask because I don't think he or his style is unique to this one Chabad rabbi. I'd like to know more about it. I've come to call it 'homiletical', 'homey', 'midrashic'. Someday when I get the courage, I will ask him what this style is and why he speaks so... 'oLdly' / peculiarly during his talks and how I can enter into this speech-world in order to get something meaningful out of it instead of going away feeling -- at best -- like I've been to an Eastern European museum of the pre-Holocaust world.
I have listened to other Chabad rabbis in the past (many years ago) and I seem to recall the same style and the same 'not-getting-it' (i.e. understanding). Only now, I want to get something out of it, instead of the old 'here it goes again'. Thanks.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@LAGoff

Did you know that only Hasidim can participate, except for respectful questions, in this sub-forum DIR?

Do you think it might make more sense to move this into the more general Judaism DIR?