• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

celtic paganism

SCAITH

hi im sorry if this isent in the right topic im new :) any way i was hoping to become "a pagan" particularly of the irish celt or feudle germanic veraiaty but prefribly irish. any way i was looking for a good informative book on it so that i could no if i could even worship it as a religion or if it is just a topic to be studied like mytholigy? im not intrested in wicca or any of that kind of stuff. thank you.

Zephyr

Moved on
I have a friend who's a Celtic Pagan. In practice though, he comes off as some sort of mix of an Asatruar and a Wiccan with Celtic gods, leaving me confused. I'm not sure of many good sources.

Hello, I am sort of new to the posts here. I notice that many are simply one or two liners. I guess perhaps people tend to make real short posts so they can rack up more points! I see some have thousands behind them. Is it quantity above quality? Perhaps one should hide the number of posts they make in order to keep people from knowing how they waste their time. It seems that the minute examination of conflicting biblical texts and all the arguing over what is consistent and what is not is somehow practical or useful.

I hope you will all excuse me from all this overly objective analysis. I am just trying to rack up points so I can put in my link. I am getting 430 hits per day and want others to see why!

This is my 15th post! Next time I can post it, but now it is bedime here in the midwester USA and that will have to wait until next time!

gnomon

First off, I would ask the pagan members to realize this is the mythology thread. Not paganism. Please don't spoil this thread on celtic mythology with reconstructed religious talk.

Not trying to be rude, here, but celtic mythology is not celtic paganism. For those interested in the ancient folklore, mythology and religion of the vast and varying Celtic peoples I wouldn't want them to have to wade through someones religious beliefs.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
charles brough said:
Hello, I am sort of new to the posts here. I notice that many are simply one or two liners. I guess perhaps people tend to make real short posts so they can rack up more points! I see some have thousands behind them. Is it quantity above quality? Perhaps one should hide the number of posts they make in order to keep people from knowing how they waste their time. It seems that the minute examination of conflicting biblical texts and all the arguing over what is consistent and what is not is somehow practical or useful.

I hope you will all excuse me from all this overly objective analysis. I am just trying to rack up points so I can put in my link. I am getting 430 hits per day and want others to see why!

This is my 15th post! Next time I can post it, but now it is bedime here in the midwester USA and that will have to wait until next time!

Glad you made it to your 15th! :hug: I look forward to getting to know you even better!

Zephyr

Moved on
gnomon said:
First off, I would ask the pagan members to realize this is the mythology thread. Not paganism. Please don't spoil this thread on celtic mythology with reconstructed religious talk.

Not trying to be rude, here, but celtic mythology is not celtic paganism. For those interested in the ancient folklore, mythology and religion of the vast and varying Celtic peoples I wouldn't want them to have to wade through someones religious beliefs.
Yes this is the mythology subforum, but if you look at even just the title of the thread, this is indeed about paganism.

gnostic

The Lost One
scaith said:
hi im sorry if this isent in the right topic im new :) any way i was hoping to become "a pagan" particularly of the irish celt or feudle germanic veraiaty but prefribly irish. any way i was looking for a good informative book on it so that i could no if i could even worship it as a religion or if it is just a topic to be studied like mytholigy? im not intrested in wicca or any of that kind of stuff. thank you.
I don't know much about Celtic religion, but I am familar with Celtic mythology. If you have any particular question about the mythological part, IM or send me an email.

I have a site on Celtic mythology (Timeless Myths), which covers mostly Irish myths and legends, but I have some on Welsh myths. I don't have much on Scottish and Breton, but do have some info on their folklore under Faeries.

I only have general information on Celtic religion and customs, and on Druids. Most of the information about Druids are actually about druids who appeared in Irish mythology.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Gnostic,
I'm interested in finding out more about myths surrounding Scotias grave, her death, and the Battle of Sliabh Mish.
Are you familiar with any of them ?

gnostic

The Lost One
This is all I could find about your queries, in the Lebor Gabala Erenn.

Lebor Gabala Erenn: The Book of Invasions said:
When the sons of Mil reached their landing-place they made no delay until they reached Sliab Mis; and the battle of Sliab Mis was fought between them and the Tuatha De Danann, and the victory was with the sons of Mil. Many of the Tuatha De Dannan were killed in that battle. It is there that Fas wife of Un son of Uicce fell, from whom is named Glen Faise. Scota wife of Mil fell in the same valley; from her is named "Scota's Grave", between Sliab Mis and the sea.

Sorry, but if you want more detail about the battle or Scota's grave, then you won't find it.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
This is all I could find about your queries, in the Lebor Gabala Erenn.

Sorry, but if you want more detail about the battle or Scota's grave, then you won't find it.

Thank you very much indeed. I often go walking by Scotias grave and have often wondered if it would be possible to find out more. Now I know. I appreciate your time.Thanks.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i was given a gift form a good friend yesterday, it's a book entitled "Magic of the Celtic Otherworld - Irish History, Lore and Rituals" by Steve Blamires. the first two chapters are dedicated to the what we know of the Irish Celts from archaeological and literary sources, and there is a good bibliography for more information on the subject.

the rest of the book seems to be a reconstruction attempt at the Irish belief system, but is still based upon what we can gather from the literary sources. it looks like a good read, but like i said, i was only given it yesterday so i've only read the first 2 chapters.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
i was given a gift form a good friend yesterday, it's a book entitled "Magic of the Celtic Otherworld - Irish History, Lore and Rituals" by Steve Blamires. the first two chapters are dedicated to the what we know of the Irish Celts from archaeological and literary sources, and there is a good bibliography for more information on the subject.

the rest of the book seems to be a reconstruction attempt at the Irish belief system, but is still based upon what we can gather from the literary sources. it looks like a good read, but like i said, i was only given it yesterday so i've only read the first 2 chapters.

That sounds great! Thanks! I have two books on Irish myths and legends, and they are very thorough with the tales of gods and men, but I'm always looking for new and historical information about Celtic belief systems.

gnostic

The Lost One
Thank you very much indeed. I often go walking by Scotias grave and have often wondered if it would be possible to find out more. Now I know. I appreciate your time.Thanks.
You're welcome.

You can find the full translation in e-text, here - Lebor Gabala Erenn: The Book of Invasions, vol. 5 The Coming of Milesians. I have actually read and done my research of the 5 volumes at Melbourne's State Library; unfortunately I don't have my own copies.

But fortunately I found this site has translations of many Celtic literature - The Celtic Literature Collective, by Mary Jones.

My site, Timeless Myths, contained only summary of the literature that I have researched, pieced together the various sources, and retold in my own way.

Darkwater

Noble son of Ugoine,
How attains one to full knowledge of Ireland?
He arose from Scythia,
Did Feinius Farsaid himself;
Nél reached Egypt,
Remained awhile faithfully
With Pharao in journeys.
A betrothal of Nél, of Scota,
The conception of our father Gáedil,
The surname of “Scot” spread abroad
Did the fair daughter of Pharao.
The people of the Good God arrived together
With smiting of a great host.
Cincris was extinguished,
Drowned in the Red Sea.
They voyaged the sea-surface
Arrived at Scythia,
Which Eber Scot harried;
They smote Refioir,
Did Agnomain, Lamfind.
They sailed over Caspian
Entered on Liuis,
Made for Toirrian,
Followed on past Africa,
Arrived at Spain,
Where were conceived Erimon,
And Eber to Mile.
Soon Brego, Bile,
For avenging of Ith,
Grouped in their barks,
Sixty their number.
The men as they returned
Divided Ireland
Among twice six chieftains.
Let the truth of the history suffice!
I answer the question keenly.

Quite a bit of history referred to here,the fall of Egypt after Pharoh's army was drowned in the red sea,which maybe co-incides with Santorini exploding or some other natural disaster/plague/

Last edited: