• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celibacy in spiritual lifestyle

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is your understanding (not your view) on living in celibasy when living a spiritual life?

When both people in a relationship live a spiritual life, and live in celibasy, what is your view on it?
We know from anthropology that in all cultures self-denial gives rise to feelings of self-worth / virtue, so we can conclude that this tendency is genetic, part of the equipment of being human.

So, as with the eunuch priests of old, this can be perceived as the ultimate form (especially for males) of self-denial as an offering in exchange for divine favor.

As the RCC has shown, the religious fervor, particularly among males, that may induce the original commitment can be outgrown (secus if you took the eunuch road of course).

GoodbyeDave

Because living in celibasy make one more focused on the spiritual part of life…
In my religion, we do not distinguish between the "spiritual" and the "material". I am an embodied spirit: it's what I'm meant to be. To take one aspect of out nature and devalue it is simply unbalanced.

Semen, and more importantly, the energy within it, when held back, is transmuted.
… In my school it's considered a necessary practice for the deeper nirvikalpa samadhi to occur.
And where's the evidence for that transmutation? And how do women achieve "nirvikalpa samadhi"? This is the sort of thing that put me off Hinduism!

I don't know of religious authorities that support [celibacy], and until recently it would get you thrown into a Psych Ward.
Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans? I haven't noticed our local priests or religious being dragged off, either!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my religion, we do not distinguish between the "spiritual" and the "material". I am an embodied spirit: it's what I'm meant to be. To take one aspect of out nature and devalue it is simply unbalanced.

And where's the evidence for that transmutation? And how do women achieve "nirvikalpa samadhi"? This is the sort of thing that put me off Hinduism!

Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans? I haven't noticed our local priests or religious being dragged off, either!
I Buddhism the materialistic world is not the "true" life, we are only here to understand how to let of suffering/attachments to Greed,anger, dispear, jealosy, lies, like/dislike,and so on. and to end samsara/reincarnation cycle and become enlighten,

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

As I said, there is no evidence. In celibate saintly women. menstruation ceases. The same forces, female physically, get transmuted. But it's fine with me that you disagree because of no proof. I'm just offering an explanation, as you asked for one.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I Buddhism the materialistic world is not the "true" life, we are only here to understand how to let of suffering/attachments to Greed,anger, dispear, jealosy, lies, like/dislike,and so on. and to end samsara/reincarnation cycle and become enlighten,
What is the road that leads into such a belief? I don't think a person suddenly believes all of it do they?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The buddhist path is a path that take time to cultivate. Personally i been on the path for 20 years
My limited experience with craving is that it is a tool. Coffee is best when you wait until you no longer desire it, and then you reattach yourself by drinking some. Then that terrible craving comes and makes that coffee seem so good. If you drink coffee constantly you lose the enjoyment, and if you simply stop drinking it you lose the enjoyment.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My limited experience with craving is that it is a tool. Coffee is best when you wait until you no longer desire it, and then you reattach yourself by drinking some. Then that terrible craving comes and makes that coffee seem so good. If you drink coffee constantly you lose the enjoyment, and if you simply stop drinking it you lose the enjoyment.
Well i dont have those feelings for food or drink anymore.Or should i say i do not have craving for it. But i do know what you mean by your statement.

Bear Wild

Because living in celibasy make one more focused on the spiritual part of life, how to actually live as the teaching teach is the best way to obtain the wisdom within the religion one is following. to let go of the human mundaine lifestyle and 100% be able to focus on the path
Sexuality also can make you understand wisdom. You do not need celibacy for enlightenment.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Faithfulness is fulfillment when its totally willful.

There are far greater loves then sex, its too bad some people treat sex as if it was the only love there is.

Outside of virtue i reckon all things miserable.

Celibacy, and chastity are wonderful commitments.

I reject wantonness myself.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't believe in celibacy. It seems to be saying that sexuality is the opposite of spirituality. Well, screw that. I couldn't be celibate or in a celibate relationship. My sex drive is too high. That would only be good if you're asexual, really.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

There are far greater loves then sex, its too bad some people treat sex as if it was the only love there is.

It seems as if there are two camps on this thread....
I am in your camp. I am happy that I am not camping alone. :D

JJ50

It would be a weird relationship if the partners were celibate. But of course there is much more to a marriage than sex, especially when you are getting on in years.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Me neither. It's rare.
Then why say it should be confined to monasticism, and not allowed in the general populace? I think it's not quite as rare as you believe. A very large percentage of people I know are voluntarily celibate, and happy to be so. I'm the only Buddhist amongst them.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Then why say it should be confined to monasticism, and not allowed in the general populace? I think it's not quite as rare as you believe. A very large percentage of people I know are voluntarily celibate, and happy to be so. I'm the only Buddhist amongst them.

Yes there are exceptions. Perhaps many more than I know of.

Looncall

Ah well, I suppose that perversion will be self-limiting as those prone to it fail to reproduce.

I do not see rejecting one's humanity as a good thing.

osgart

Ah well, I suppose that perversion will be self-limiting as those prone to it fail to reproduce.

I do not see rejecting one's humanity as a good thing.

Im not rejecting my humanity!

I simply know for myself that wantonness is miserable. Faithfulness is the best in sexuality. I dont go for the popular glorifications of lust. To me that is poison.

Bear Wild

I can't agree with you. There are many aspects to love in a relationship but sexuality is one of those aspects and it is an expression of love between two partners. When approached spiritually it represents a natural and beautiful expression of love. After all we are naturally sexual creatures created from a sexual union from our parents. It seemed demonized by the Christian church associated by shame. Mary had to be a virgin to be acceptable. Yes a relationship between two people has many as aspects that need to be present for a healthy relationship but sexuality is one of them. There may be reasons why two cannot be sexually connected and is does not diminish their love but intentional celibacy and chastity as a choice denies a natural human expression of love. It would be better to say there are many wonderful aspects of love and sex is one of those aspects.

osgart

I can't agree with you. There are many aspects to love in a relationship but sexuality is one of those aspects and it is an expression of love between two partners. When approached spiritually it represents a natural and beautiful expression of love. After all we are naturally sexual creatures created from a sexual union from our parents. It seemed demonized by the Christian church associated by shame. Mary had to be a virgin to be acceptable. Yes a relationship between two people has many as aspects that need to be present for a healthy relationship but sexuality is one of them. There may be reasons why two cannot be sexually connected and is does not diminish their love but intentional celibacy and chastity as a choice denies a natural human expression of love. It would be better to say there are many wonderful aspects of love and sex is one of those aspects.

Sexuality to me is beautiful when its faithful love, and well worth waiting for. I just dont see it as the greatest love by far.