• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celibacy in spiritual lifestyle

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What is your understanding (not your view) on living in celibasy when living a spiritual life?

When both people in a relationship live a spiritual life, and live in celibasy, what is your view on it?

JJ50

What is your understanding (not your view) on living in celibasy when living a spiritual life?

When both people in a relationship live a spiritual life, and live in celibasy, what is your view on it?

No one should be forced to be celibate for the sake of a mere religion. Not that it is any excuse, but I suspect that the RCC crazy celibacy rule could be one reason for the high rate of sexual abuse perpetrated by priests.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
It's good for some. It's nice that there is an acceptable way to live celibate. (Personally, I'm happier being celibate than otherwise.)
It's none of my business.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
First I do not believe you can differentiate between one's understanding and one's point of view.

I do not believe celibacy in and of itself is spiritual. It is a material effort in hopes of being spiritual, which is a contradiction.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm all for celibacy if one feels a natural need or desire to be celibate. I am opposed to celibacy in cases where it must be willed. If you must will yourself to be celibate, you most likely shouldn't try to be celibate.

As for whether celibacy confers any spiritual advantages, I'd say that it might if it's a natural response to a need or desire, but that it probably does not confer any spiritual advantages if it must be willed or if it is involuntary.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think that in general, celibacy should be confined to monasticism, and not brought into the general populace. Yes, there are exceptions. For some it's just a natural thing, non unlike being gay. It's within the diversity of sexuality we have on this planet.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No one should be forced to be celibate for the sake of a mere religion. Not that it is any excuse, but I suspect that the RCC crazy celibacy rule could be one reason for the high rate of sexual abuse perpetrated by priests.

When you learn that this Roman lawyer had to sleep with this priest to steal scandalous Vatican documents, you get this celibacy-thing is just a farce.
172602197-8f157421-6643-4d34-a058-a076ecee34fa.jpg

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Personally i am in a relationship with a woman and the last two years we have lived in celibasy because of spirituality. And no there is nothing forcing us to do so. we do it of free will. But it is not said that we will live this way for the rest of our lives. But we both find the spiiritual wisdom come more easy when we do not have any form desire for the sexual part of the relationship.

Most of those who live a monatic life will be in a celibasy and one reason is to understand how to let go of attachments to it.

JJ50

It's good for some. It's nice that there is an acceptable way to live celibate. (Personally, I'm happier being celibate than otherwise.)

It's none of my business.

If a person wishes to be celibate that is their choice, but it should never be forced upon them as most people like to have a sexual relationship.,

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Personally i am in a relationship with a woman and the last two years we have lived in celibasy because of spirituality. And no there is nothing forcing us to do so. we do it of free will. But it is not said that we will live this way for the rest of our lives. But we both find the spiiritual wisdom come more easy when we do not have any form desire for the sexual part of the relationship.

Most of those who live a monatic life will be in a celibasy and one reason is to understand how to let go of attachments to it.
That's chastity. Celibacy is when you're single:)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If a person wishes to be celibate that is their choice, but it should never be forced upon them as most people like to have a sexual relationship.,
The big different from those who want to live a mundane life and those who wish to live a spiritual lifestyle or even become monastic is that those who live a mundane life style does not let go of their attachments to the "normal " life. while those who live a lifestl full of spirituality will go the extra part to reach the goal they have set.

In my humble opinion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

So we aren't talking about someone who's asexual, has a low sex drive, or otherwise just doesn't want to engage in sexuality?

Assuming we're talking about people who want to have sex but make a deliberate choice not to act on it, my view is pity, for the most part.

If you don't want to have sex, it's fine not to have sex, but I don't see any benefit from denying one's feelings in this way.

GoodbyeDave

If you are asexual, and some people are, then it's silly to have sex just because it's what other people do. But the idea that abstaining from sex has some spiritual value completely escapes me. It seems to be confined to (some) Christianity, (modern) Hinduism, and Buddhism: it's certainly not part of my religion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So we aren't talking about someone who's asexual, has a low sex drive, or otherwise just doesn't want to engage in sexuality?

Assuming we're talking about people who want to have sex but make a deliberate choice not to act on it, my view is pity, for the most part.

If you don't want to have sex, it's fine not to have sex, but I don't see any benefit from denying one's feelings in this way.

It is about not having attachments to it, meaning, if of some reason sex is not an option, then one would not think about it and if one does have sex it is not something one get obsessed with and can not live without. it become just a "thing"
And when one study deeper form of spiritual life one does not need the part of sex. it become something just for making babies. nothing more.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you are asexual, and some people are, then it's silly to have sex just because it's what other people do. But the idea that abstaining from sex has some spiritual value completely escapes me. It seems to be confined to (some) Christianity, (modern) Hinduism, and Buddhism: it's certainly not part of my religion.
No not asexual :) just have no deeper desire about it other then it is not wrong to have sexual activity with a partner. But because the spiritual life is more important that is what is in focus

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Absolutely not. The priesthood attracts pedophiles because it gives them access to children in a protected role. Being denied sex doesn't make them pedophiles. If that were the case, it would be like saying all those poor boys who "can't get any" from the girls when they are teens, become rapists. These behaviors are entirely unrelated to a lack of sex, or homosexuality, etc. It's the same thing with why leadership roles in the boy scouts are sought out by predators: free access to vulnerable children.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is about not having attachments to it, meaning, if of some reason sex is not an option, then one would not think about it and if one does have sex it is not something one get obsessed with and can not live without. it become just a "thing"
I know. That's the view that I'm pitying.

And when one study deeper form of spiritual life one does not need the part of sex. it become something just for making babies. nothing more.
What do you mean by "deeper form of spiritual life" and what makes it "spiritual" (or "deep")?