• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cel shading

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
ss_96376dca753551169dda10976bee7c35c4e92ae4.1920x1080.jpg

445837-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.jpg

I got to thinking that cel-shading in video games doesn't necessarily benefit the consumer considering most people I talk to don't necessarily like it more than hyper realistic graphics except considering it a change of pace.

It also doesn't make a game perform better necessarily. Creating real cel-shading, graphics that look like Jet Set Radio and so on, and not fake stuff like the cartoon graphics of certain Wii 1 games, actually often puts a strain on the mathematical abilities of a graphics card to do it well or of the easiest and best implementation.

So who does it benefit? Texture artists. Texture work is still done to an extent, but you're taking a page long piece of code and having it replace hours and hours of extra texture work and texture detail, cutting the time necessary to make 3D art almost in half. Many games still have textured grounds, but the amount of work is still cut down significantly.

Nimos

So who does it benefit? Texture artists. Texture work is still done to an extent, but you're taking a page long piece of code and having it replace hours and hours of extra texture work and texture detail, cutting the time necessary to make 3D art almost in half. Many games still have textured grounds, but the amount of work is still cut down significantly.
Think its a hard one and not sure. I do however believe that its a mixture and several things. I think you are correct that it can save time, but also it can be due to expression. Another thing can be if you make a game and are going for realism, if you then fail at it, it can really make your game look bad, whereas if you aim for cell shading, people do not approach your game expecting the graphics to be realistic. But at the same time as you also point out, some people don't like that style etc. So I think from the developers point of view its a trade off between all these things.