• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caution: Homosexuality Dangerous to Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
LittleNipper said:
Oddly, it was the DEMOCRATIC PARTY that controlled the OLD SOUTH. The KKK were not Republicans-----to say the least. There is alot to learn... The KKK were founded by Southern Democrats who despised the carpet baggers being placed in power by the Northern Republicans during reconstruction of the South after the Civil War.

Hmmm. I would've thought it was common knowledge that fifty years ago the Democrats switched from being the racists and religious fundamentalists to championing civil rights, equality, and religious tolerance. Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond,(former NC and SC senators, I'm from north carolina) and the other grand old southern racists (aka protectors of traditional southern values) realized that their ideology was switching from that of the Democratic party to the Republicans when Kennedy ran. Note the strong strides toward civil rights made by the kennedy and johnson administrations. Note also the South's switch from Democrat to Republican because of civil rights. True, the KKK was founded by Southern Democrats, but those democrats and members of the religious right have switched to become republicans, bush supporters, and anti-gay. Anybody payed attention to news/current events for the past fifty years? I'd think yall would know this stuff a little better than me, since I'm just 17.

LittleNipper said:
The problem is that YOU WILL still suffer the consequences of your actions.
A small child might not know that fire burns but it does whether he accepts or understand the fact.

GOD provided LAWs to help us and not to hurt us.

I doubt you'll agree with me Little Nipper, but I think no matter how strong a Christian one is, one cannot ignore the fact that we do not 'know' that God exists, that Jesus is our savior, that the Bible wasn't just written by some crackpot. We instead only 'believe' that, often against all odds. Faith (and even evangelism) are not about asserting that other people are wrong or that they must believe in our God or that they need to worry about judgment by God. It is about constantly questioning and challenging your beliefs, but at the same time holding to an unprovable idea despite a lack of empirical evidence. Evangelism is about telling people what you believe and why you believe it, and then letting them make their own decision about what to believe.

That last post is superb, I'm so happy to hear a religious person say that! I think what sankazhria said in the above post is one of my favorite posts ever. Great points.

Greyson

I understand that you think Christianity is superior to any other religion, but it isn't about religion, it's about Faith. About your relationship with God. Religion is merely a Social Club, where women wear scant clothing and men look lustfully upon their exposed flesh. That has nothing to do with God, sorry. I know, i'm clergy.
Times HAVE changed, drastically. Now other clergy support war, and say that killing in this case is fine, we're at war...when the commandment crearly states, "Thou shalt not kill. So it's ok to go against God in killing, yet we are to condemn homosexuals because a few straight people get their panties in a bunch and complain? Whom is casting stones here? Have not ALL fallen short of the glory of God? Mine Dad is gay, mine sister is gay as well. Mine Mother and I are straight...matter of fact, I have a beautiful loving Wife, mine version of the 'feast before the famin' lol. Should I therefore, being straight, condemn mine Dad and Sister because they are gay? They love with all their hearts, and I have contracted no 'gay-disease' from them, so why should I be anti-gay? Many people complain about the many ramifications and possible threats of homosexuals, using the bible to confirm their complaint. Yet the bible says many things, and these same people manage to overlook everything else because it isn't convenient. If people do so desire to argue about how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin, let them. The debate is rendered mundane however. I these complainers about homosexuals have nothing better to do than whine about gays, then they obviously are not practising their Christianity and filling their time in a productive manner.
Ty.

Greyson

Reactions: Pah
I agree, great post, Greyson. I'm totally with ya on the war bit. It's so weird that so many so-called Christians support war and even support it frivolously(rather than as a last resort). More telling even than 'thou shalt not kill,' I think, is Jesus' pacifism - love your enemy, turn the other cheek.

This anti-gayism is nothing but fear of that which is different from you, as well as some Christians need to make themselves look religious or devout (in contrast to 'bad Christians' like me) by condemning others.

It's also a great way to get more Republicans in office because the majority is against same sex marriage.

Melody

<<I understand that you think Christianity is superior to any other religion, but it isn't about religion, it's about Faith. About your relationship with God. Religion is merely a Social Club, where women wear scant clothing and men look lustfully upon their exposed flesh. That has nothing to do with God, sorry. I know, i'm clergy.>>

To me, clergy is a pastor, priest or minister. With your cynical view of what church is, I sincerely hope you mean you are ex-clergy and not an active member.

I don't know what kind of churches you've been hanging around at, but the church I'm currently attending (and most of the ones I've attended in the past) is not full of scantily clad women and ogling men. The dress ranges from casual jeans to suits and ties but is tasteful and respectful. We don't come together to admire each others clothes...or each other. We come together to worship and praise the Lord with other like minded individuals.

Melody

MarkT

Once they use it irresponsibly, they are choosing to become addicts. What else would they believe the consequences of their actions?

By definition, being under stress leaves you unable to think.

Do you have any proof of this? Seriously, many gay people grew up in ideal family situations with the same pressures and stress as a heterosexual. You can't make claims like this without at least some evidence proving this, and there is none. The evidence leans toward genetics or the environment in the womb.

I was thinking of Ronald Reagan and Dick Cheney. I heard Reagan was never there for his kids. I don't know about Cheney but I suspect it's true of ambitious people. They don't have time for their kids.

Our genes determine our physical appearance and so indirectly you could say our genes contribute to our behavior. But it's not in the way of cause and effect.

You know people care about their appearance alot these days. That produces stress, societal stress. You know how much pressure comes from advertising on TV, for example, to get you to buy something that is supposed to make you look better.

Psychological pressures exist.

This isn't about the homosexual act per se. Actions tells us about the spirit. We're not picking on you.

You said

And please. Public displays on indecency? Don't just link that to hom, I've seen much worse het stuff all over the place. They are many more hets who do that than homs.

You're right but I don't hear you complaining about indecency. Why is that?

Gay marriage is a stunt. It's a publicity stunt to promote the lifestyle.

It's evidence of a mentality ie. to parade, to show off, to dress up, to dress up something so it looks like something else, to put on a mask, a disguise.

No matter that it undermines the traditional concept of marriage. It doesn't look like anybody cares about that, that the traditional idea would be diminished.

This is the mentality, to put on a dress or a leather jacket, to create an image.

So it's not a particular desire of the flesh we're discussing though we know this act was unlawful. It's the spirit that promotes it.

According to the Bible temptation must come into the world but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes.

Pah

Uber all member
MarkT said:
By definition, being under stress leaves you unable to think.

Not so fast! Stress is also the "stuff" of heroes. Stress can also focus the mind to provide a solution.

//cut//

You're right but I don't hear you complaining about indecency. Why is that?

Let's see - a thread about the contrasts between the gay pride days and Spring break?

Gay marriage is a stunt. It's a publicity stunt to promote the lifestyle.

I think it has more to do with the same personal relationships that you favor.

And I'm curious as to what lifestyle you mean - the one where both partners work?, the one where kids are raised?, or perhaps the one where the nation is bettered by providing strong building blocks of society?

It's evidence of a mentality ie. to parade, to show off, to dress up, to dress up something so it looks like something else, to put on a mask, a disguise.

You mean like "finery" in church?

No matter that it undermines the traditional concept of marriage. It doesn't look like anybody cares about that, that the traditional idea would be diminished.

Another question - is that "traditional marriage" the one that was brokered by parents? or the one that Martin Luther turned back to the state? or the one like the "Cleavers"? or the second marriage after the first failed?

This is the mentality, to put on a dress or a leather jacket, to create an image.

Like the pious image of public prayer in school?

So it's not a particular desire of the flesh we're discussing though we know this act was unlawful. It's the spirit that promotes it.

The spirit of love and commitment?

-pah-

How does homosexuality undermine traditional marriage? Do those in traditional marriage look at homosexual couples and become jealous or tempted to pursue that type of relationship?

I doubt one would find that homosexuality is the chief cause for the failure of traditional marriages.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
civilcynic said:
How does homosexuality undermine traditional marriage?
It doesn't. The real threats to marriage are divorce, adultery, domestic abuse, quicky TV weddings, cohabitation, men abandoning their girlfriends after getting them pregnant, etc., yet, speaking out against these things and actively persuing laws to prevent these things from happening is not politically agreeable, however for some reason, promotion of discrimination against the BGLT community is.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
"traditional marriage" is a myth.... in my tradtition gay/bi persons were celebrated and certenly allowed the simple right of marriage.

to use the threat to 'tradtional marriage" is to clutch at straws... it was the same argument used to try to prevent mixed race marriage.

wa:do

Greyson

'To me, clergy is a pastor, priest or minister. With your cynical view of what church is, I sincerely hope you mean you are ex-clergy and not an active member.'

Cynical view....Christ already stated that you won't find Him in a building of stone and mortar, and yet you say i'm Cynical. Im coming from mine entire life and looking into the eyes of the dead everytime I go to 'church'. People with a head full of religion, but not really knowing exactly what the scriptures mean. i'm coming from talking with people whom say that disabled people should go to benny hin because he will heal them, who take a literal approach to the Word of my Father, God. People whom claim to be Christian, yet put human traits on God and thereby limit God with human limitations.
So when you say you hope i'm ex-clergy because I at least tell the truth, and hope i'm not an active member of the Church....i'm not limited to a building. Wherever I am, Church goes with me. Amen.
Ty.

Greyson

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
everyone has thier own personal temple/church in them.

the *traditional marriage* depends on the culture. in all cultures there is the sense of two people (man and wife) getting together. in islam and sometimes hinduism, men and many wives get together. in old fuedal japan, men would only marry women for family reasons, they would love outside the marriage with geisha or *start* to love their partner after marriage (just like in india).

i'm not a catholic nor do i pretend to know what i'm talking about here, but i think rather than marrying Jesus it's more like they can't get married to men so they can focus completely on and devote their whole lives to Jesus. It's sort of so they aren't torn between two allegiances - one to Jesus and one to a husband. Not that I agree with that. Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

Pah

Uber all member
sankazhria16 said:
i'm not a catholic nor do i pretend to know what i'm talking about here, but i think rather than marrying Jesus it's more like they can't get married to men so they can focus completely on and devote their whole lives to Jesus. It's sort of so they aren't torn between two allegiances - one to Jesus and one to a husband. Not that I agree with that. Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

In some orders, there is a strong focus on being a bride of Christ even so far as to include bridal symbols in the indiction into the order. In an interview I recently saw on TV, several nuns spoke of this "marriage". I don't know whether this philospohy is common or rare for I assume that some orders would be as you say be practising celibracy.

-pah-

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, marriage to god is not uncommon. there are stories of krishna splitting into several forms, making love to the hundreds of gopis (village women, devotees of krishna). oddly enough theres a gaykrishna thing going on. God can be worshiped as a divine lover, son, mother, father, friend, sister, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.