• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cause and Effect are not Dead

which came first? ....Spirit?.....or substance?

• Spirit

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • substance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I never saw the obituary....

and if you can believe the entire universe came from one location....

how then do you refuse the existence of God?

VioletVortex

I think that everything exists as "spirit", also known as "essence" or "concept" prior to coming into our side of reality. Everything has some primordial origin. For example, a child begins not as a zygote, but an instinctual driven impulse to procreate. It goes back further, and "the spiritual" would be the deepest extend of the noumenal world.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Easily, :D There is science behind the proposition that the universe originated from a single point, whereas the existence of god rests on faith. Faith is dependent on personal belief, science is not. So, believe it or not, one's personal convictions don't begin to match the conclusions of scientific inquiry for veracity.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thief

In what manner, do you say, this implies an imaginary being as the agent?

Especially since there was no one around at the time to imagine it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think you need more than just belief in order for it to be real.

The expanding universe and background radiation supports a singularity. You can go and check it for yourself in real time.

Do you know what, if anything, supports the existence of a god that you can go and check it out for yourself aside from just thinking about it?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Unknown, more probably nothing has never existed. We can not find a time in which nothing existed we just assume a some point there was nothing. It is very possible that things have always existed and always changed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
substance will remain rest until some force is upon it
this was presented in science class when I was soooooooo much younger

motion is the evidence of 'something' other than substance

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief

.....imagine it.....

there it is
you know

to say ....I AM!.....needs some evidence
and Someone had to be First
(we can ask Him how He did it.....when we meet)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
btw...time is a measure of motion

prior to the "bang" ......no motion to measure
not time

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Thief

There is also the problem that the universe did NOT come from a single location, even in general relativity. Yes, there was a singularity (in that theory), but that singularity does not have a location (technically, it is an absence, not a thing). And the expansion happens at *all* locations and is not an expansion outward from one location.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is also the problem that the universe did NOT come from a single location, even in general relativity. Yes, there was a singularity (in that theory), but that singularity does not have a location (technically, it is an absence, not a thing). And the expansion happens at *all* locations and is not an expansion outward from one location.
if you insist on more than one location....fine...

but one location had to be.......first
and all of them would need to be set into motion

substance doesn't jump.....because it 'wants to'

PureX

Veteran Member
This is just semantics, of course, caused by the limitations of our own words, and our cognitive ability to comprehend an infinity.

In order to accurately address the debate I first require someone to tell me: what is the spirit? What is it made of? How does it affect the material world? Why is the spirit necessary to the creation of material? Can the spirit become material and if so How? Can material become spirit and if so how?
Please cite any sources of study, research, and experimentation that support your claims when answering.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This is just semantics, of course, caused by the limitations of our own words, and our cognitive ability to comprehend an infinity.

I don't think infinity is the issue here as much as the concept of curved spacetime.

idav

Being
Premium Member

This "one location" you speak of exists, it's the universe and we are in it. Space expands in such a way that it doesn't move but rather stretches making one single point into a million or more points in spacetime.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This "one location" you speak of exists, it's the universe and we are in it. Space expands in such a way that it doesn't move but rather stretches making one single point into a million or more points in spacetime.
stretching is a movement

it had a beginning

and time does not exist