• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catnip...for those who wanted to know...

exchemist

Veteran Member
researchers have figured out what it is about catnip that cats go crazy for...

https://phys.org/news/2022-06-cats-catnip-strange-reactions-insect.html
Interesting as far as it goes, but leaves a lot of open questions. If it enables cats to avoid being bitten by mosquitos this needs to be tested, not just speculated. And how do we know it is mosquitos they want to repel? It could be fleas, or something else. And why, if this is so effective, is it only cats that have worked this out?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Interesting as far as it goes, but leaves a lot of open questions. If it enables cats to avoid being bitten by mosquitos this needs to be tested, not just speculated. And how do we know it is mosquitos they want to repel? It could be fleas, or something else. And why, if this is so effective, is it only cats that have worked this out?

For the same reasons some plants work for us and not others. Exposure, and the ability of chemical brain receptors to recieved it.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Clearly, they've worked it out because they are gods:D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Evolution: Cats who react positively to catnip by chewing, licking, and rolling, etc., have a higher probability of surviving and successfully reproducing than those who do not respond positively to it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
black-cats-love-the-nip

Gargovic Malkav

My cats hate catnip.
I still put the catnip to good use because you can make a decent tea out of it.

My cats do seem to get intoxicated by the smell of my sweat though.
The armpit areas of my shirts makes them go crazy after I've worn them on a hot day.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My cats hate catnip.
I still put the catnip to good use because you can make a decent tea out of it.

My cats do seem to get intoxicated by the smell of my sweat though.
The armpit areas of my shirts makes them go crazy after I've worn them on a hot day.

I have one cat that loves nothing more than a pair of dirty underwear.

exchemist

Veteran Member
For the same reasons some plants work for us and not others. Exposure, and the ability of chemical brain receptors to recieved it.
But that doesn’t make sense. The claim is this cat behaviour deters biting insects, not that cats just happen to like the smell. If it deters biting insects for cats, why not other furry mammals too: dogs, rabbits, gerbils, weasels, rats..............? Why should this supposedly evolutionary trait have developed only in cats?

I am sceptical, as I suspect there could equally well be an explanation related To @JustGeorge ’s dirty knickers, etc. It could be the scent has some of the same elements as cat scent glands, or something like that, which could account for why it is specific to cats.

pearl

When we had cats I planted catnip in the garden, they would remove the leaves as fast as it was growing, had to have several plants. But it wasn't 'till much later when I discovered what I think it was that drew them to the plant. I always had chewing gun in my purse, very often I would find a stick of gum, still there but with several teeth marks in it. Found out it was the mint in the gum and in the catnip they were hooked on.