• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholicism vs. Christianity

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I've heard a whole lot of Protestants say that Catholics aren't Christian, but not heard any Catholics say that they aren't. I have heard a few Catholics say, however, that certain Protestant denominations or churches are not Christian...But that does not seem to have been a position of Church itself, but some individual members

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why do think some Catholics say that they are not Christians?

All Catholics I know (and I know A LOT personally) say they are Christian. The reason they say they are Catholic is because the Church (Roman) says only Catholics have a relationship with the physical Eucharistic mystery. So, that sets them a part from most protestants who say one is a christian by baptism and/or accepting jesus as savior.

Catholics are christian. I never heard one say they arent. Just protestants tend to say they arent.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Why do think some Catholics say that they are not Christians?
We Catholics most definitely say that we are Christians--the original ones, in fact. If you've met Catholics who say they're "not Christian", I can almost guarantee that they're only saying that because Protestant American culture has entrenched in their minds the odd idea that "Christian=Protestant", and so what they really mean to say is "I'm Catholic, not Protestant".

We Catholics most definitely say that we are Christians--the original ones, in fact. If you've met Catholics who say they're "not Christian", I can almost guarantee that they're only saying that because Protestant American culture has entrenched in their minds the odd idea that "Christian=Protestant", and so what they really mean to say is "I'm Catholic, not Protestant".
I agree... the first Christian Church was Roman Catholic Church. In Christianity you're either Catholic or Protestant. However I have met people who say they are Catholic but not Christian. I was curious what they meant, because they would not explain to me. Thanks for the post.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
It is common in my area (Central California) for Catholics and Christians alike to treat the two as separate religions and define the latter as exclusively Protestant and therefore heretical to the former. Indeed, I've had Catholic students argue with me when I tried to correct them on the issue, an endeavor that I have largely given up on. I have noticed that this is most often the case with people whose first language is Spanish, so perhaps this is a factor?

Another common problem is the definition of Catholic, which is often taken to mean Roman Catholic, leaving a large segment of the Christian world apparently unclassified.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
However I have met people who say they are Catholic but not Christian. I was curious what they meant, because they would not explain to me.
It is possible that what they meant was being culturally Catholic but not believing all the required theology. That would be a difficult thing to explain in a casual conversation.

I'm culturally very Catholic. I was born and raised in a seriously Irish Catholic family. But I have not been a believer in Christianity in over 40 years.
In a way, it's rather like Judaism or Hinduism. It's an ancient culture, and if you are raised in it you often never completely leave it. It doesn't matter what you believe about God and the afterlife and such.
Tom

shmogie

I agree... the first Christian Church was Roman Catholic Church. In Christianity you're either Catholic or Protestant. However I have met people who say they are Catholic but not Christian. I was curious what they meant, because they would not explain to me. Thanks for the post.
Just how do you extrapolate the strange idea that the first Christian church was Roman Catholic, and from what ?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Just how do you extrapolate the strange idea that the first Christian church was Roman Catholic, and from what ?
From Jesus. Matthew 17: 17-19

Then Simon Peter went to Rome and founded what is now known as the RCC.
Pretty simple really, if you read the Bible and know a bit of history. Jesus only founded one church so it is the first one.
:)
Tom

shmogie

From Jesus. Matthew 17: 17-19

Then Simon Peter went to Rome and founded what is now known as the RCC.
Pretty simple really, if you read the Bible and know a bit of history. Jesus only founded one church so it is the first one.
:)
Tom
With respect, that is nonsense. The first Christian Church was in Jerusalem (see Acts) , There were a number of Gentile churches, and Rome was just another of them. Yes Peter went to Rome and was killed, but so was Paul. Some 150 years later, or more, the plain old Bishop of Rome, just exactly like the other Bishops, decided that somehow he should be exalted over the other Bishops. It was centuries after the first Christian churches were established that the "Roman Catholic Church" was established. Then, by bogus revisionist history, this denomination attempted to establish itself through Peter as the "first church'. Theologically and historically it is a false narrative

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Not just "Roman" Catholic--there were plenty of other Catholic Churches, all united in faith, such as Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, the churches mentioned in the NT, the Gaulish, the Germanic, the Anglo-Saxon, the Celtic, the Arabian, the Mozarabic... The list goes on.

It's a very easy mistake to make that "Catholic Church=Roman Catholic Church", which is simply not true--my religion tag alone should be enough proof of this.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
With respect, that is nonsense. The first Christian Church was in Jerusalem (see Acts) , There were a number of Gentile churches, and Rome was just another of them. Yes Peter went to Rome and was killed, but so was Paul. Some 150 years later, or more, the plain old Bishop of Rome, just exactly like the other Bishops, decided that somehow he should be exalted over the other Bishops. It was centuries after the first Christian churches were established that the "Roman Catholic Church" was established. Then, by bogus revisionist history, this denomination attempted to establish itself through Peter as the "first church'. Theologically and historically it is a false narrative
There's problems with the above but let me just say that the post you were responding to made the mistake of saying "Roman Catholic church", whereas if the person had said "Catholic Church" they would be correct-- at least as far as it goes.;)

shmogie

There's problems with the above but let me just say that the post you were responding to made the mistake of saying "Roman Catholic church", whereas if the person had said "Catholic Church" they would be correct-- at least as far as it goes.;)
Correct !

shmogie

I've heard a whole lot of Protestants say that Catholics aren't Christian, but not heard any Catholics say that they aren't. I have heard a few Catholics say, however, that certain Protestant denominations or churches are not Christian...But that does not seem to have been a position of Church itself, but some individual members
Some Roman Catholic doctrines and beliefs are considered non Christian by Protestants, however it is totally non Christian to say that any person who proclaims Christ is not a Christian. We can judge actions and words, God judges motives and the heart.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some Roman Catholic doctrines and beliefs are considered non Christian by Protestants, however it is totally non Christian to say that any person who proclaims Christ is not a Christian. We can judge actions and words, God judges motives and the heart.
And in the distant past the RCC claimed much the same about Protestants in general, but fortunately they dropped that nonsense over time.

shmogie

And in the distant past the RCC claimed much the same about Protestants in general, but fortunately they dropped that nonsense over time.
Actually the Roman Catholic Church declared Protestants were lost, and killed them. Protestants did the same. Of course, none of this could have been done by Christians. A man can call himself a fence post, but that doesn;t make him one. Declaring yourself a Christian, doesn't mean you are

C-Faith

Catholicism has roots in Christianity, but left those roots to practice doctrines of men instead of God. Examples include 1 Timothy 4: 1-4