• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic wisdom for the day.......

Scott1

Lord, hear my voice when I call to you. You are my help; do not cast me off, do not desert me, my Savior God. (Ps 26)

God our Father, we rejoice in the faith that draws us together, aware that selfishness can drive us apart. Let your encouragement be our constant strength. Keep us one in the love that has sealed our lives, help us to live as one family the gospel we profess. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

God is the strength of his people. In him, we his chosen live in safety. Save us, Lord, who share in your life, and give us your blessing; be our shepherd for ever. (Ps 27)

God our Father, you give us the model of what a shepherd is all about in how to tend to the flock. It is difficult to be the shepherd in keeping track of the flock, yet you gave witness to going after the lost sheep. Give us the strength and courage to seek out those who are lost and bring them back to the fold with gentleness and forgiveness. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

If you, O Lord, laid bare our guilt, who could endure it? But you are forgiving, God of Israel. (Ps 129)

God our Father, you have shown us the path of life. May your love for us be a sign of your unendng desire for us to stay focused on the path that you have chosen for us to follow. You go before us on this pilgrimage, anticipating our needs and preventing us from falling. May we be ever grateful for your guidance as we walk this journey in life. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (Ps 95)

2004101432.jpg

Lord Jesus, we desire to hear your voice in our lives. However, there are many distractions that can make it difficult at times for us to hear your voice. We strive to clear the noise and confusion that surround us, yet at times, we fall short of achieving this task in our lives. We are in need of your help to make clear the path that leads us to hear your voice. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

With Christ I am nailed to the cross. I live now not with my own life, but Christ lives within me. I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and sacrificed himself for me. (Gal 2)

Lord Jesus, we celebrate this day the feast of St. Ignatius of Antioch who devoted his life to giving witness to following the way of Christ. His witness of this profession of faith cost him his life. May we learn from his example what giving all means in our profession of faith. May we grow stronger in our witness to following Christ in all that we do each day. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

October 17, 2004, 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time

“As long as Moses kept his hands raised up, Israel had the better of the fight.” (Exodus 17)

READINGS:
1. Exodus 17:8-13
2. 2 Timothy 3:14-42
3. Gospel of Luke 18:1-8

REFLECTION: The Sunday readings mesh almost perfectly. This is one of those times when the three readings most clearly spell out the theme of the day: perseverance in prayer. These readings tell us two important things: that our prayers will be heard and how they will be heard.

PRAYER: Lord our God, on You we live and move and have our being. Teach us how to live fully in your great and bountiful presence, which answers all our needs and fills us with peace beyond all understanding. Amen.

FAMILY DISCUSSION/ACTIVITY:

Monday:
What is your favorite form of prayer? Why do you prefer it?

Tuesday:
Make prayer especially this week to be part of your family activity. Emphasize the prayer times in your family life.

Wednesday:
Pray the rosary with the family today. Pray for world peace.

Thursday:
Do some spiritual reading today on prayer.

Friday:
A form of prayer is prayer in action, praying as we work or perform our duties. Offer an activity to God today in prayer.

Saturday:
Take time today to pray for the poor and the needy.

PRAYER: Lord our God, give us the strength to persevere in prayer. Like Moses and the widow in the Gospel, may we never lose heart. Fill us with faith and trust. Amen.

Scott1

I call upon you, God, for you will answer me; bend your ear and hear my prayer. Guard me as the pupil of your eye; hide me in the shade of your wings. (Ps. 16)

Lord our God, you guard us under the shadow of your wings and search into the depths of our hearts. Help us to learn to turn toward you in times of sorrow and in times of joy. May we always know that you are here for us in our journey in life. When we loose sight of your presence in our lives, may we be able to seek you with our hearts and rest once again in your loving embrace. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

All you who fear the God, both the great and the small, give praise to him! For his salvation and strength have come, the power of Christ.

Father, you restored your people to eternal life by raising Christ your Son from death. Make our faith be strong and our hope sure. May we never doubt that you will fulfill the promises you have made. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

God himself is my help. The Lord upholds my life. I will offer you a willing sacrifice; I will praise your name, O Lord, for its goodness. (Ps 53)

God our Father, we want to serve you in faith, hope and love. Yet, at times, we fail because of our own human pride and stubborness in wanting to do things 'our way' that we forget to keep our focus on you. Keep us watchful in prayer and true to your teachings so that we may serve you in faith, hope and love. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

October 24, 2004, 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time

“O God, be merciful to me a sinner.” (Luke 18)

READINGS:
1. Ecclesiasticus 35:12-14, 16-18
2. 2 Timothy 4:6-8,16-18
3. Gospel of Luke 18:9-14

REFLECTION: The Tax Collector in today’s Gospel prayed for God’s mercy and for nothing else: “O God, be merciful to me a sinner.” Just as Moses feared to walk on ground made holy by the Presence of God, so this Tax Collector knew reality. He saw himself as a man who could not change without the mercy of God. And that, Jesus says, is what prayer is all about.

PRAYER: Psalm 34
The Lord hears the cry of the poor.
I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall be ever in my mouth.
Let my soul glory in the Lord;
the lowly will hear me and be glad.

Monday:
The first reading Sunday speaks of the Lord’s compassionate ear. Pray today for the poor and needy.

Tuesday:
Your concept of God will determine how you pray and dialog with the Lord. Take time today to meditate on your concept of God.

Wednesday:
Pray the rosary with your family today. Pray for the upcoming elections.

Thursday:
Do something peaceful and enjoyable with your family today celebrating the season of harvest.

Friday:
One of the main problems in praying and in listening to God’s response is something called human weakness. This is why the Spirit comes to help us in our weakness. Be quiet today and let the Spirit work through you.

Saturday:
Mary, the Mother of Jesus, was a true listener. Her heart was sensitive to God speaking to her. Be a sensitive listener to God and to your family today.

PRAYER: Lord our God, we have in Mary a wonderful model of listening and faith. May we strive to imitate her in these ways with strength and confidence. Amen.

Scott1

God our protector, keep us in mind; always give strength to your people. For if we can be with you even one day, it is better than a thousand without you. (Ps 83)

God our Father, may our love for you know no boundaries and may our love for you tear down the walls of prejudice that sometimes can keep us from being truly loving persons with all whom we encounter each day. May our love for you grow as we keep our focus on you. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Gunga_ann

SOGFPP said:
Advice from Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered: Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives: Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and true enemies: Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you: Be frank and honest anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight: Build anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow: Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have and it my never be enough: Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it's between you and God: It was never between you and them anyway.
I love this quote! I keep it in my journal!

It is soo true!

Scott1

Let hearts rejoice who search for the Lord. Seek the Lord and his strength, seek always the face of the Lord. (Ps 104)

Lord Jesus, when you were on this earth, you gave us many examples to show your forgiving presence in our lives. By this example may we come to know you in the sacrament of reconciliation and participate in the many opportunities to receive your grace. Strengthen us on this path of life. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

I call to you all day long, have mercy on me, O Lord. You are good and forgiving, full of love for all who call to you. (Ps 85)

Lord God of power and might, nothing is good which is against your will, and all is of value which comes from your hand. Fill our hearts with love for you. Increase our faith, and by your constant care protect the good you have given us. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

October 31, 2004, 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time

Zacchaeus…was trying to see what Jesus was like, but being small of stature he was unable to do so…he climbed a sycamore tree in order to see. (Luke 19)

READINGS:
1. Wisdom 11:22-12:2
2. 2 Thessalonians 1:11-2:2
3. Gospel of Luke 19:1-10

REFLECTION: Why Zacchaeus? Maybe Jesus singled out Zacchaeus because he felt sorry for him. Maybe it was a reward for his climbing the tree to see him. Most likely it was for a greater reason. By inviting Zacchaeus Jesus had an opportunity to teach about his mission in the world. He could teach something about the relationship between God and human beings.

PRAYER: Lord, we all have a little Zacchaeus in us. We need you to call us forth to better ways and to show us the way out of our sins. May the light of your Presence lead the way and the strength of your Spirit help us to follow in faith and love. Amen.

Monday:
All Saints Day. Celebrate this day with the family knowing we all are called to holiness of life with God. Talk about the family names and the saints they represent.

Tuesday:
All Souls Day. Those who have died are members of the Communion of Saints. Put some pictures of those who have died on your dinner table tonight. Take some time to talk about them.

Wednesday:
Yesterday was Election Day. Pray the rosary today for those who have been elected to important offices especially the President of our country.

Thursday:
The first reading for Sunday talks about the patience of God. God loves us even when we do wrong. He stands ever ready to forgive and to restore. Reflect on this with regard to your family relationships.

Friday:
Attend Mass today to pray for all departed persons.

Saturday:
Spend time today in meditation on this past Sunday’s reading.

PRAYER: Lord our God, help us to recognize the good and holy persons among us and to imitate their example. Give us the strength ourselves to live as caring, helpful, inspiring persons, in service to one another. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

November 7, 2004, 32nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

"God is not the God of the dead but of the living." (Luke 20:38)

READINGS:
1. 2 Maccabees 7:1-2, 9-14
2. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-3:5
3. Gospel of Luke 20:27-38

REFLECTION: The Gospel today is one of the ways Luke used to teach about the resurrection of the dead. The Sadducees were religious people who did not believe in an afterlife. They wanted to find out where Jesus stood on this question. He explained that in the kingdom of the risen, there is no need for the ordinary activities of life.

PRAYER: Lord, you conquered death by dying and rising to new life. Give that new life to all souls so that they may be happy forever. Amen.

Monday:
Continue this week to remember all those in your family who have died. Keep their pictures obvious in your home.

Tuesday:
If anyone in your family has died this year, create a special prayer for that person. Make a call or send a “thinking of you” note to their closest loved ones.

Wednesday:
Pray the rosary, the Mysteries of Light today for all deceased souls, especially those most in need.

Thursday:
Today is Veteran’s Day. Take time today to meditate and appreciate the Veterans of all wars. Pray for them and our country.

Friday:
Make an effort today to attend Mass to pray for All Souls.

Saturday:
Take time today to review the reading for this coming Sunday.
Malachi 3:19-20
2 Thessolonians 3:7-12
Luke 21:5-19

PRAYER: Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full. Amen.

Dawny

I just loved your message!
Mother theresa s quotation was amazing!:162:
I m a wanabe christian and this is why I like christianity so much.:D
this was my little light of the day...
cheers
dawny

Scott1

The Lord is faithful in all his words and holy in his deeds. (Ps.145)

Lord Jesus, we strive to remain faithful to your words in our lives and to live in holiness, yet we sometimes fall short of this goal. At times, we are fragile and weak, and are in need of your mercy in our lives. In these moments, when we have failed to remain faithful, we ask for your forgiveness and mercy. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

November 14, 2004, 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

“By patient endurance you will save your lives.” (2 Thessalonians 3)

READINGS:
1. Malachi 3:19-20
2. 2 Thessalonians 3:7-12
3. Gospel of Luke 21:5-19

REFLECTION: Patient endurance is a prerequisite for surviving today and struggling to do more than merely exist. Even if we eliminate the “big questions” and focus on the home, parents have to comfort—with patient endurance—such threats as drugs, illness, terrorism, and materialism.

PRAYER: Loving Lord, strengthen our efforts to live by your ways. Give us patience that we may endure present trials and attain a future of peace in union with you. Amen.

Monday:
November is the end of the harvest. It is also the end of the Church’s year. Enjoy a special harvest meal tonight.

Tuesday:
This year has seen so many natural disasters in this world. Pray today for all those caught in these disasters.

Wednesday:
Pray the rosary with the family tonight for world peace.

Thursday:
Pray especially today for our newly elected President and those who serve our country.

Friday:
Practice today patient endurance.

Saturday:
As the cold days arrive, especially in the North, remember the poor and needy. Give food or clothing to your nearest food pantry.

PRAYER: Lead us from death to life, from falsehood to truth. Lead us from despair to hope, from fear to trust. Lead us from hate to love, from war to peace. Let peace fill our hearts, our world, our universe. Amen.

Scott1

November 14, 2004, 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

“By patient endurance you will save your lives.” (2 Thessalonians 3)

READINGS:
1. Malachi 3:19-20
2. 2 Thessalonians 3:7-12
3. Gospel of Luke 21:5-19

REFLECTION: Patient endurance is a prerequisite for surviving today and struggling to do more than merely exist. Even if we eliminate the “big questions” and focus on the home, parents have to comfort—with patient endurance—such threats as drugs, illness, terrorism, and materialism.

PRAYER: Loving Lord, strengthen our efforts to live by your ways. Give us patience that we may endure present trials and attain a future of peace in union with you. Amen.

Monday:
November is the end of the harvest. It is also the end of the Church’s year. Enjoy a special harvest meal tonight.

Tuesday:
This year has seen so many natural disasters in this world. Pray today for all those caught in these disasters.

Wednesday:
Pray the rosary with the family tonight for world peace.

Thursday:
Pray especially today for our newly elected President and those who serve our country.

Friday:
Practice today patient endurance.

Saturday:
As the cold days arrive, especially in the North, remember the poor and needy. Give food or clothing to your nearest food pantry.

PRAYER: Lead us from death to life, from falsehood to truth. Lead us from despair to hope, from fear to trust. Lead us from hate to love, from war to peace. Let peace fill our hearts, our world, our universe. Amen.