• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic wisdom for the day.......

Scott1

The Lord is near to all who call upon him. (Ps 145)

Lord Jesus, we strive to remain faithful to your words in our lives and to live in holiness, yet we sometimes fall short of this goal. At times, we are fragile and weak, and are in need of your mercy in our lives. In these moments when we have failed to remain faithful, we ask for your forgiveness and mercy. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

quote-13_image-01-sm.jpg

"Two years before my ordination, I was stricken with a severe attack of tuberculosis. In that infirmary, I reached the depths of discouragement and hopelessness. But it was there too that I really found Mary. In my darkest hour, I tuned to her for help. She responded with love. I recovered, returned to the seminary and was ordained."

Father Patrick Peyton

Scott1

May all the earth give you worship and praise, and break into song to your name, O God, Most High. (Ps 65)
pc-sm6.gif

Almighty Father, help us to embrace your will, give us the strength to follow your call, so that your truth may live in our hearts and reflect peace to those who believe in your love. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God (Mt 5:9)

Political and social unrest arises from injustice, whether real or perceived. Peace, on the other hand, is the fruit of justice, when all the members of a society receive what is their due. In our moral life, too, when we have a clear understanding of moral principles and habitual control of our emotions and our actions so that we do always what we ought to do, we are at peace with ourselves. St. Augustine was right when he defined peace as the tranquility of order.

To have order there must be some principle to base the order on. Students in a class can be ordered according to their age, or their size, or their grades, or by the alphabet. If we are to accomplish anything worthwhile our daily actions must be ordered to some goal: to making money, to becoming a lawyer, to caring for our family.

Christ has given us one goal to which we must subordinate everything else: holiness. “Seek first the kingdom of God and his holiness.” (Mt 6:33) To be holy is to be godlike, that is, to “be perfect even as our heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48). St. John tells us that “God is love” (1Jn 4:8) and Christ has told us how we are to love if we are to be holy and grow in perfection: “Love one another as I have loved you. Greater love than this no one has than to lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends” (Jn 15:12-13). To love as Christ loved us is the ultimate goal we must pursue in life. Christ-like love is the ideal we use to establish right order on all our actions and to be holy as our heavenly Father. If we are going to be a doctor or lawyer, we must be holy in our profession. Therefore, if we are in business to make a profit, it must be a just profit and we must use our profits for noble purposes and not let riches and the craving for wealth be our downfall. The psalmist is right: “Those who love your law enjoy abundant peace” (Ps 119:165).

For we believe that God is our Father. We pray that his will be done on earth as it is in heaven because his law or commandment to love points out the way we must follow if we are to enjoy our lives and find true peace. “I think thoughts of peace, not of affliction” (Jr 29:31), God tells us through the prophet Jeremiah.

When, therefore, we open our hearts to the Holy Spirit we share God’s life and enjoy the fruits of the Spirit: charity, joy and peace.

We live in a sinful world but our Lord, sending his disciples on their first missionary journey told them: “When you go into a house, wish the owner of the house peace. If he is a peaceable man, your peace will rest on him. If not it will come back to you” (Mt 10:13). It will not be lost. If our efforts are rebuffed, our peace returns to us. For as long as we have done our best we know God is pleased with us so we have nothing to worry about and we are at peace.

Christ has told us that one man sows, another man reaps (Jn 4:38). We should not, therefore, judge the value of our work by its apparent success or failure. Our efforts may end in apparent failure, but we know God does not judge our work by its success but by our honest efforts to bring about his kingdom on earth, “a kingdom of justice, peace and love” (Preface for the Feast of Christ the King). When we love God and work selflessly for him, no one can take his peace and his joy from us. That is why the peacemakers are blessed and shall be called the children of God.

Scott1

Save us, Lord our God, and gather us together from the nations, that we may proclaim your holy name and glory in your praise. (Ps 105)

Father in heaven, we desire to proclaim your name holy and to give you praise in our lives. May we serve you with our every desire and show love for one another as you have loved us. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

September 26, 2004, 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

“Between you and us there is a great gulf, so that those who might wish to cross from here to you cannot do so, nor can anyone cross from your side to us.” (Luke 16:26)

READINGS:
1. Amos 6:1, 4-7
2. 1 Timothy 6:11-16
3. Gospel of Luke 16:19-31

REFLECTION: The Gospel deals with distance, with gaps between human beings, with the failure to connect and communicate, to feel one another’s pain and offer one another support. It deals with something worse than active hatred: indifference.

PRAYER: Lord Jesus, your greatest wish is for us to come together in unity. Strengthen our determination and give energy to our efforts that we may grow closer to one another and to you. Amen.

FAMILY DISCUSSION/ACTIVITY:

Monday:
Meditate today on your family communications, your immediate family and your wider family. What are the best communication practices you have?

Tuesday:
Think of someone today that you have been separated from by distance or misunderstanding. What can you begin to do to bridge that gap?

Wednesday:
Pray the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary today for those who are separated because of war.

Thursday:
Make an effort today to become more involved in your parish and the activities they do for the poor.

Friday:
Enjoy the fall season tonight with a special meal and prayer of thanksgiving.

Saturday:
Review the time you spend today on material things as compared to time spent on spiritual growth. Remember quality time with the family is spiritual.

PRAYER: Lord God and Giver of all gifts, free us from too much concern with material things and help us to develop our spiritual riches. We ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Scott1

I am the way and the truth and the life, says the Lord; no one comes to the Father except through me. (Jn 14)

Lord Jesus, we believe that you are the way, the truth and the life. Because of this belief, we bring before you our concerns, our worries, our fears as we walk the path of life that will bring us closer to you and to your Father. We are in need of your graces in our lives in order to grow deeper and stronger in our belief in you. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Mt.5:10)

pc-sm7.gif
At first glance it is hard to see how persecution contributes to anyone’s happiness. In fact, many kinds of persecution do not. We can be persecuted out of prejudice, hatred, jealousy, ignorance and our lives made miserable not happy. But Our Lord is speaking of persecution arising from our pursuit of righteousness, holiness of life. This is the kind of persecution that leads to happiness, for it forces us to grow stronger in our commitment to the Gospel.

The proof of an athlete’s excellence is his success in competition against those who excel in the sport. The proof of the strength of our commitment to practice the virtues is our determination to be virtuous with those who are not. For it is hard to be kind to those who are not. It is hard to be patient with those who are impatient and in situations that push us to the limit. But by being pushed beyond our present limits we can grow in virtue for we succeed in acting virtuously by God’s grace. Our commitment to him remains firm in the face of ever more threatening challenges. When we are firm in the face of assaults against our religious faith, our trust in God and our commitment to do his will become more and more deeply rooted in our minds and hearts. This faith commitment allows us to see what is truly important - doing God’s will, holiness of life - and never lets us lose our focus or relax in our efforts. In fact, as we progress in holiness, we are less and less inclined to do evil, e.g., to be unkind or impatient, we would never even think of lying or stealing. The stronger our commitment to holiness, the less evil attracts us. What attracts us more than giving in to any excess of emotion or temporary immoral satisfaction is acting in a Christ-like way in every situation.

When we suffer persecution for the sake of righteousness, therefore, we grow stronger and stronger in our commitment to Christ. Our lives are rooted in faith, which the gates of hell shall not prevail against. The strength of our commitment comes from the Holy Spirit dwelling within us who comforts us in our trials by pouring his gifts into our hearts; charity, joy, peace, patience, long suffering, gentleness and chastity (Ga 5:8). In the midst of all our trials, then, we are never alone, never deprived of the support we need. Our commitment remains strong and our souls at peace. Besides the firmness and tranquility we experience in our present lives, we also know what awaits us in eternity. Christ has told us: “Happy are you when people abuse you and persecute you and speak all kinds of calumny against you on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven” (Mt. 5:11-12).

Scott1

Come, let us worship the Lord. Let us bow down in the presence of our maker, for he is the Lord our God. (Ps 94)

In faith and love we ask you, God our Father, to watch over your family. In your mercy and loving kindness no thought of ours is left unguarded, no tear unheeded, no joy unnoticed. Through the prayer of Jesus may the blessings promised to the poor in spirit lead us to the treasures of your heavenly kingdom. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me. (Jn 10)

Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, in your unbounded mercy you have revealed the beauty of your power through your constant forgiveness of our sins. May the power of this love be in our hearts to bring your pardon and your kingdom to all we meet. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

Incline your ear to me and hear my word. (Ps 17)

Father, you gave St. Jerome delight in his study of holy scripture. May your people find in your word the food of salvation and the fountain of life. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

To learn more about Saint Jerome, click here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32510&posted=1#post32510

Scott1

Bless the Lord, all you angels of the Lord. Sing his glory and praise forever. (Dan 3)

God our Father, in your loving providence you send your holy angels to watch over us. Hear our prayers, defend us always by their protection and let us share your life with them for ever. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

October 3, 2004, 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time

“If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this tree, ‘Be uprooted and transplanted into the sea,’ and it would obey you.” (Luke 17:6)

READINGS:
1. Hebrews 1:2-3, 2:2-4
2. 2 Timothy 1:6-8, 13-14
3. Gospel of Luke 17:5-10

REFLECTION: Think of the expectations you have of others and those they have of you. Sunday’s Gospel is about both living by expectations and having spiritual vision. Jesus tells his apostles, “Even if you do everything that I expect of you, you will have done only what you should do. Don’t think you can earn special rewards for doing what is only your duty.”

PRAYER: God and Father of the world to come, your goodness is beyond what we can imagine. Give us courage and faith and a vision of the goodness you hold in store for all the world. Amen.

Monday:
This is a week of special feasts. Take time this week to read about the lives of Sts. Therese of Lisieux and Francis of Assisi.

Tuesday:
Both Sts. Therese and Francis strove to lead lives of simplicity. Pray about something in your family life that you can simplify to give you more quality time.

Wednesday:
Pray the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary today for world peace.

Thursday:
Today is the feast of the Holy Rosary. Pray the rosary today with your family.

Friday:
Thinking in terms of expectations, take time today to review your expectations of those in your family.

Saturday:
As the beautiful October days continue, plan a walk in the woods or a drive in the country.

PRAYER: Loving Father, we come before you in trust and confidence. Help us to live up to what you ask of us by the way we live our lives. We need your strength if we are to be generous, loving, and responsible. Fill us with your living Presence. Amen.

Scott1

Francis, a man of God, left his home and gave away his wealth to become poor and in need. But the Lord cared for him.

Lord Jesus, St. Francis was a man of faith. Believing his call was to serve God and the poor, he reflected the image of Christ through a life of poverty and humility. May we, in our journey, follow the ways of your Son, by walking the path that Francis gave witness to in his life and by this way of life bring us ever closer too you. We ask this in your name. Amen.

Scott1

Lord, your mercy is my hope, my heart rejoices in your saving power. I will sing to the Lord for his goodness to me. (Ps 12)

Lord God, there are times in our journey when we are aware that we are in need of your mercy. This day, we come before you and cry out for this gift of your mercy in our lives. We are confident that you hear our prayers and that we will receive your mercy in our lives. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

Lord, your mercy is my hope, my heart rejoices in your saving power. I will sing to the Lord for his goodness to me. (Ps 12)

Lord God, there are times in our journey when we are aware that we are in need of your mercy. This day, we come before you and cry out for this gift of your mercy in our lives. We are confident that you hear our prayers and that we will receive your mercy in our lives. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

O Lord, you have given everything its place in the world, and no one can make it otherwise. For it is your creation, the heavens and the earth and the stars: you are the Lord of all. (Esther 13)

Almighty and eternal God, your love for us surpasses all our hopes and desires. We are thankful for your presence in our lives and for the beauty of the creation that surrounds us, for you are the Lord of all. Lead us to seek beyond our reach and give us the courage to stand before your truth. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

The Lord has been my strength; he has led me into freedom. He saved me because he loves me. (Ps 17)

Father in heaven, you have formed us in the likeness of your Son and so we ask you to help us deepen His presence in our lives. Our world is so fragile and broken that we need to become witnesses of joy and peace. Touch the hearts of all men and women that everyone may come to love each other. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scott1

title-prayer-family.gif

October 10, 2004, 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time

“Stand up and go your way; your faith has been your salvation.” (Luke 17)

READINGS:
1. 2 Kings 5:14-17
2. 2 Timothy 2:8-13
3. Gospel of Luke 11-19

REFLECTION: In the matter of faith and healing, the Lord sometimes tells us that he performs miracles so that we will come to believe in his power. Then again, he tells us that some persons have been healed because they already believed. Whether faith comes before or after healing does not really matter. The realization that we need help beyond our feeble self is what is important.

PRAYER: Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.

Monday:
Pray today for those who are physically, mentally, and spiritually sick.

Tuesday:
Do some healthy activity today with the family.

Wednesday:
Pray the Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary today in thanksgiving for good health.

Thursday:
Remember today to give thanks for all the blessings in your family. Do something to show this appreciation.

Friday:
Today is the feast of the great St. Theresa of Avila, Doctor of the Church. In her honor do some special reading about the church.

Saturday:
As Jesus listened to those who needed healing, be especially attentive today in listening to those who speak to you.

PRAYER: Lord, make our homes and our hearts places of peace and love. Help each of us to heal the other through acceptance and patience and humility. Amen.

Scott1

Open our hearts, O Lord, to listen to the words of your Son. (Acts 16)

Lord Jesus, you have told us over and over again that you hear our every word. Open our hearts so that we may hear your every word and that we may live according to your words. May we be free of distractions so that we may better understand the messages and lessons you want us to hear and to live by. We ask this in your name. Amen.