• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Wedding Mass?

Ellen Brown

I'm reading a story where a Catholic Wedding Mass is mentioned like it is this uber special thing. I've been to a few Catholic Masses and liked them. I found "The Stations of the Cross" in the cathedral to be thought provoking.

I was a Protestant, am now unaffiliated but mostly Muslim.

Would someone please tell me a little bit about a "Catholic Wedding Mass?"

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm reading a story where a Catholic Wedding Mass is mentioned like it is this uber special thing. I've been to a few Catholic Masses and liked them. I found "The Stations of the Cross" in the cathedral to be thought provoking.

I can only state that my Catholic girlfriend was very concerned whether her church would accept my conversion to Catholicism, and allow us to marry in her church.

Which was weird. I had no intention of converting, nor had I asked her to marry me.

I sometimes wonder how much of Catholic tradition is related to Catholic belief, and how much to tradition. I generally find tradition the more compelling aspect, based on the Catholics I know.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It's a Catholic wedding ceremony and a mass. :D

The wedding itself is the celebration of one Sacrament - marriage - and the mass is the celebration of another Sacrament - the Eucharist.

For my first marriage (which was in a Catholic Church), we were given the option of just having the wedding - no eucharist - or a wedding mass - i.e. with eucharist. At the time, it wasn't suggested that the eucharist would make the wedding better or holier in some way. Instead, a wedding mass was presented as a custom that many people like to follow, but we were warned that it might not be what we want if we expected a significant number of non-Catholics to attend, since it can feel exclusionary (since only Catholics are allowed to partake of the eucharist).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In the Anglican church both the marriage service and Funerals can be performed with or with out the Eucharist as part of the celebration. Christenings often take place immediately following the Sunday Eucharist, I suspect that the Catholics do much the same.

At my late wife's funeral her coffin was at rest in the chancel over night and the service included the Eucharist. This is not unusual for active members of the church.

pearl

At my late wife's funeral her coffin was at rest in the chancel over night and the service included the Eucharist. This is not unusual for active members of the church.

In cases where there is a distribution of communion outside of Mass, the source is the 'reserved' hosts in the Tabernacle which have been previously
consecrated. As in Good Friday Mass there is no Eucharistic liturgy, consecration, but there is communion.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In cases where there is a distribution of communion outside of Mass, the source is the 'reserved' hosts in the Tabernacle which have been previously
consecrated. As in Good Friday Mass there is no Eucharistic liturgy, consecration, but there is communion.

Our reserve for the sick is held in the Aumbry as well as a supply of chrism used for anointing at christenings (chrismation) and holy oil to anoint the sick.
At confirmations the bishop usually brings his own.
The reserve is never used in services. except in some churches on Good Friday (reserved from Maunday Thursday), it is unusual to have a Eucharist on that day but some churches do.
Some priests have permission from their Bishop to keep a reserve at home. especially when they live a distance from their church.

GoodbyeDave

As has been said, the mass and the wedding are two different sacraments, and some people just like to get both together.

A big difference is that the mass is celebrated by a priest, but the wedding by the couple. Originally, they could just do it alone (see the plot of Webster's Duchess of Malfi) but that led to so much confusion that a figure from the church is required by way of witness, but not necessarily a priest. There was a case last year where a couple were married (no mass) by a friend who was a nun — the bishop didn't object.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As has been said, the mass and the wedding are two different sacraments, and some people just like to get both together.

A big difference is that the mass is celebrated by a priest, but the wedding by the couple. Originally, they could just do it alone (see the plot of Webster's Duchess of Malfi) but that led to so much confusion that a figure from the church is required by way of witness, but not necessarily a priest. There was a case last year where a couple were married (no mass) by a friend who was a nun — the bishop didn't object.

That would still need a registar to make it legal in the Uk
In the uk anglican priests are licenced to marry by their Bishop, and do not need regisrar present but they still need to do all the necessary registration work paper work. Bans etc.
It is possible to get and arch bishops special licence and marry at short notice, without bans.

My daughter writes the registers and certificates for our church, and nothing can be written before the vows and proclomation. So she has to be there in person to do it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thinking about how all this might be understood from a Catholic perspective:

Since Catholics believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, is a wedding mass seen by some Catholics as a way to have Christ physically present at your wedding?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thinking about how all this might be understood from a Catholic perspective:

Since Catholics believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, is a wedding mass seen by some Catholics as a way to have Christ physically present at your wedding?
And Anglicans believe in the real presence at the Eucharist,( including the Saints and heavenly host) a small/ significant difference.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I can understand that. I think most religions went through the same sort of evolution. In judaism, you could once marry a woman in any one of three ways: intercourse, a gift, or a contract. But today all three are done together to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

I think that in the olden days, pretty much across the board, a man and woman simply decided to get married, and moved in together, and it was accepted by the community as a marriage. The problem IS that (even today) there's an awful lot of scoundrel men who will tell a woman anything to get her into bed with them, including I love you and lets get married. Then they just disappear into the night. Or they'd say she is lying and trying to trap them. Especially if she gets preggers. That's when having witnesses to vows started becoming the norm.

It's also of course not unheard of for a woman to "hear what she wants to hear." Many women assume that if a man sleeps with them it means they are loved and have a committed thing going on, when nothing of the sort has ever been said. For these women too, the sheer obviousness of a wedding ceremony makes things clear.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I can only state that my Catholic girlfriend was very concerned whether her church would accept my conversion to Catholicism, and allow us to marry in her church.

Which was weird. I had no intention of converting, nor had I asked her to marry me.
Dude, you guys had a real communication problem going on. Why was she assuming you were going to marry? Unspoken communications were happening either by you, or her, or both.