• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Catholic League: Priests Deserve Credit for the Sex Abuse They DIDN’T Commit"

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe I am just not feeling it with the same emphasis. It has not even been mentioned in person once to me. Even the press has only barely mentioned it.

Of course, this is the land with the most Catholics in all of the world...

Shad

Veteran Member
"The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue has been trying ever so hard to discredit the Pennsylvania grand jury’s report documenting hundreds of examples of Catholic Church leaders sexually abusing children. He’s argued a lot of it shouldn’t even count since no one was penetrated and some victims weren’t even pre-pubescent. He’s also said sexual abuse occurs elsewhere, so the Church’s scandals aren’t really that big a deal. And that most of the abuses didn’t occur in the past few years, so everyone needs to lay off.
DonohueAngryAgain.png
His latest gambit? Arguing that everyone’s in a “moral panic” over the Church even though there are a bunch of kids who weren’t abused. How come the media’s not reporting on that?!

The Catholic Church has never had a monopoly on the mistreatment of some young people, yet that is what is being promoted today. Why? To feed an anti-Catholic moral panic.

The media, by focusing exclusively on abuse of minors in Catholic institutions—and stubbornly refusing to credit the Church for reforms that have made Catholic settings today among the safest places for children—perpetuate an irrational fear that the Catholic Church poses a unique threat to the safety of children.
Sure, hundreds of children were sexually abused over the course of decades, leaving them traumatized for life, but who have we molested lately?! Just a couple of kids. CHECKMATE, CRITICS!

Donohue thinks the Church deserves a cookie for treating children appropriately."
source

What..... Are we now handing out credit for people not doing something they have no interest in doing? Do I get credit for not murdering someone because I have no interest nor motive to do so?

There is a hidden premise in order for this logic to work. Which is far more damaging than anything the media has said or done so far.

joe1776

So, now we have at least four threads that I know of on the CC with this atrocity but not a single one that I've seen here at RF on the simple fact that this issue goes well beyond the CC.
If you think that point deserves a thread, why not create one?

Frankly, I don't think it's necessary and the timing would come across as an attempt to minimize the harm done to the church by the crime and the cover-up. Reasonable minds recognize Catholic bashing when they read it -- and there's no point in trying to persuade unreasonable minds of anything.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you think that point deserves a thread, why not create one?
Because it should be obvious towards anyone who follows the news as sexual abuse is found in a great many organizations. It would be like saying "Today we're going to have some weather here".

BTW, I very much agree with your last paragraph.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
"The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue has been trying ever so hard to discredit the Pennsylvania grand jury’s report documenting hundreds of examples of Catholic Church leaders sexually abusing children. He’s argued a lot of it shouldn’t even count since no one was penetrated and some victims weren’t even pre-pubescent. He’s also said sexual abuse occurs elsewhere, so the Church’s scandals aren’t really that big a deal. And that most of the abuses didn’t occur in the past few years, so everyone needs to lay off.
DonohueAngryAgain.png
His latest gambit? Arguing that everyone’s in a “moral panic” over the Church even though there are a bunch of kids who weren’t abused. How come the media’s not reporting on that?!

The Catholic Church has never had a monopoly on the mistreatment of some young people, yet that is what is being promoted today. Why? To feed an anti-Catholic moral panic.

The media, by focusing exclusively on abuse of minors in Catholic institutions—and stubbornly refusing to credit the Church for reforms that have made Catholic settings today among the safest places for children—perpetuate an irrational fear that the Catholic Church poses a unique threat to the safety of children.
Sure, hundreds of children were sexually abused over the course of decades, leaving them traumatized for life, but who have we molested lately?! Just a couple of kids. CHECKMATE, CRITICS!

Donohue thinks the Church deserves a cookie for treating children appropriately."
source

Lol. It is like saying the Schutzstaffel Korps were not so bad, because some SS did not actually kill anyone, and the history books forgot to report that.

They have lost any shame. I really hope they insist, so that I have a chance to see the last stone of the last church falling on the head of the last priest.

Ciao

- viole

joe1776

In the interest of fairness consider the number of priests accused against the total number of priests.
http://nineteensixty-four.blogspot.com/2018/08/pain-never-disappears-from-unhealed.html

There is something to this generational pattern and this finding was first uncovered in the scientific study of the abuse crisis in 2004 by researchers at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. They noted in 2004, "The majority of men in this study were born between 1920 and 1950 and were ordained in their mid- to late-twenties." The most common decade of birth for alleged abusers was the 1930s and the most common decade of ordination was the 1960s. This profile has not changed in allegations that emerged in the 14 years that have followed—including the recent grand jury report. No new wave of abuse has emerged in the United States.

http://nineteensixty-four.blogspot.com/2018/08/pain-never-disappears-from-unhealed.html
The Catholic Church has made moral progress over the years. I find it amusing that they can't admit that because it would be a tacit admission that they had changed. The hierarchy of the church has never wanted to admit that it has changed since that would be a tacit admission that they weren't always infallible on moral issues and that would contradict the original church's claim that it alone spoke for God.

So, I don't think pedophile priests are the main problem facing the church but rather it is the centuries-old pattern of covering up their flaws and never admitting blame that the hierarchy has to deal with somehow.

I thought John Paul II and his apologies for past sins of the Church was refreshing and on the right track. He was a good man.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, I don't think pedophile priests are the main problem facing the church but rather it is the centuries-old pattern of covering up their flaws and never admitting blame that the hierarchy has to deal with somehow.
Not that this excuses what's happened that's morally wrong within the CC, but let me just say that this is what organizations tend to do, probably even including your own denomination/church. It happened a couple of times in my fundamentalist Protestant church decades ago but I doubt you read about it because it was more local. But because of the size of the CC, it tends to be more noticeable nationally and internationally.

Milton Platt

DonohueAngryAgain.png

source

Maybe he is trying to justify his own feelings about sex with boys???