• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Communism

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Communism was successfully practiced by the Catholic Church long before Marxism among religious communities of monks and nuns, where no one owned anything, everything belonged to the community, everyone vowed to obey the superior, and took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Communism works when everyone is united with the same philosophy, rule of life, and goals, and the superior is anointed + enlightened to know what is best for the community.

Any thoughts?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There have been Christian communists or I guess the preferred Christian communialists. I believe "liberation theology" is related.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
Catholic religious orders are communistic or close to it. They all either require outside support to survive or for those who generate revenue by making and selling things like wine something like a capitalistic system external to themselves is needed. Using the existence of successful communistic communities within Catholicism as an argument for establishing communist countries does not work so well.

whirlingmerc

Communism was successfully practiced by the Catholic Church long before Marxism among religious communities of monks and nuns, where no one owned anything, everything belonged to the community, everyone vowed to obey the superior, and took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Communism works when everyone is united with the same philosophy, rule of life, and goals, and the superior is anointed + enlightened to know what is best for the community.

Any thoughts?

Communism is forced not voluntary.

Phantasman

The RCC was a theocracy. Christ never taught a theocracy. The Monad is a monarchy, but man (physical) isn't.

The Pope reads the same as any man. The Spirit teaches any man who seeks, not just those who claim celestial authority.

When did Jesus have to read to understand? Like Paul, the Spirit gave him the words. The orthodox (catholics) believed through the ink.

2 Corinth:
Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

The Spirit (capital S) doesn't appear in the OT, but sure has a lot of ink that the RCC brought into their theology.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
My point is it was a type of communism because everyone owned nothing, the community owned everything, and everyone was supposed to obey the same rule of life and superior

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I would rather use my brain to think for myself.
If you met someone who genuinely knew what was best for you better than you, would you feel different?

I met someone who knew what was best for me better than I did, and I regret not listening

Phantasman

Tell them about Catholic religious orders?
Being forced and armed guards. Once Constantine (a murderer himself) established his rule of the Empires church, orthodoxy started eliminating anyone who wouldn't follow. I gave the list of a few.

Heresy was a creation of spiritual ignorance. Just my view through study.

Phantasman

If you met someone who genuinely knew what was best for you better than you, would you feel different?

I met someone who knew what was best for me better than I did, and I regret not listening
I always enjoy your "thought provoking" posts, Pope.

But how would you know regret before hand?

Learning from mistakes (should) make one better. Obstacles either make you quit or make you better, depending on how you handle them.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I always enjoy your "thought provoking" posts, Pope.

But how would you know regret before hand?

Learning from mistakes (should) make one better. Obstacles either make you quit or make you better, depending on how you handle them.
I know regret because I didn't listen, got kicked out of the community, wound up homeless and eventually in jail for almost a year

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Catholic religious orders are communistic or close to it. They all either require outside support to survive or for those who generate revenue by making and selling things like wine something like a capitalistic system external to themselves is needed. Using the existence of successful communistic communities within Catholicism as an argument for establishing communist countries does not work so well.
This

Also scale is important. Small scale communistic communities can work, no doubt, but when you expand that to 250 million people not so easy (well more like impossible).

Laika

Premium Member

The Party is always right Comrade. You will go far with this attitude. :D

Tmac

Apparently, you did listen and have no doubt about it, you'll know when its too late and that time has not yet come.