• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Church role in Rwandan Genocide

rusra02

Premium Member
The Catholic Church in Rwanda recently apologized for it's role in the murder of hundreds of thousands. Their apology apparently did not satisfy the government there, according to Newsweek.
How do Catholics (and others) feel about this admitted participation in mass murder? What does this conduct say about the Catholic Church itself?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Similar to its role in the Holocaust, specifically the church as a whole not really doing or saying anything to stop what they knew was going on. Guilt by gross negligence.
I thought that was the UN's job to prevent atrocities. But like I suspect, the Vatican runs that too. or is the "moral authority"

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I thought that was the UN's job to prevent atrocities. But like I suspect, the Vatican runs that too. or is the "moral authority"
Cute. Anyone involved is "responsible" for a genocide. The UN did nothing. The Catholic Church did nothing. The Protestant Churches in Rwanda did nothing. The people of Rwanda largely did nothing.

So yeah.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Cute. Anyone involved is "responsible" for a genocide. The UN did nothing. The Catholic Church did nothing. The Protestant Churches in Rwanda did nothing. The people of Rwanda largely did nothing.

So yeah.
Of all of them the UN is the only one with tanks. Who decides where the white tanks go?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Of all of them the UN is the only one with tanks. Who decides where the white tanks go?
Pftahahaahahaha.

Ahahahaha.

You know how the Rwandan Genocide occurred, right? They did it with machetes. I don't think you could've stopped what happened in Rwanda. It wasn't like the Holocaust or the genocide of the Bosniaks, Kosovars and Albanians. This wasn't a genocide conducted by military men in black uniforms with skulls on their caps. It was average people slaughtering their neighbours.

UN intervention would've ended with a bodycount similar or higher, because to stop it you would've had to kill the masses perpetrating it.
I suggest reading "Shake Hands with the Devil". There was no solution here that didn't involve some kind of mass-murder.

Timothy Bryce

The Catholic Church in Rwanda recently apologized for it's role in the murder of hundreds of thousands. Their apology apparently did not satisfy the government there, according to Newsweek.
How do Catholics (and others) feel about this admitted participation in mass murder? What does this conduct say about the Catholic Church itself?

The Catholic Church is little more than an obscenely well-funded pedophile ring at this point.

They're in an extremely deep hole internationally regarding their PR.

I'm not angry with them - and nothing surprises me about any of their conduct nowadays; they still have so much power, money & influence in the world (by far, they're the richest and most powerful organization on the face of the earth) that they're completely capable of anything. We're only a couple of centuries removed from them finding it necessary to boil people in oil over nothing. **** 'em.

I just kinda just feel sorry for all the old folks who toss away $50s every Sunday and donate the maximum (because, for obvious reasons, there has been a limit imposed upon how much people can donate at specific times) when they're lying on their deathbed, often demented and terrified of impending death.

The Catholic Church is socially cancerous scum. There is no mitigation for it. I could make a strong argument that it's the most evil organization the world has ever seen.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Regarding Rwanda, a land reputedly 80-percent Catholic, "The New York Times of July 7, 1995, reported: “Golias, a liberal, lay Catholic magazine published in Lyons [France], plans to identify 27 more Rwandan priests and four nuns who it says killed or encouraged the killings in Rwanda last year.” African Rights, a human rights organization in London, had this comment: “Even more than its silence, the churches must answer for the active complicity of some of its priests, pastors and nuns in the genocide.” This resembles the situation in Israel when Jehovah’s true messenger Jeremiah described the “shame” of Israel, along with her rulers, her priests, and her prophets, adding: “In your skirts there have been found the blood marks of the souls of the innocent poor ones.”—Jeremiah 2:26, 34." ('97 WT article)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
At first, great hopes were expressed for the UN as a peace-keeping body. This was in fulfillment of the angel’s words: “And when they see how the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present, those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the founding of the world.” (Revelation 17:8b)

Earth’s citizens initially admired this new colossus, operating from its imposing headquarters on New York’s East River. But true peace and security have eluded the UN. For much of the 20th century, world peace was maintained only by the threat of “mutual assured destruction” (MAD, as it was aptly abbreviated) and the arms race has continued to escalate astronomically. In this 21st century, rogue nations with a history of human rights abuses now claim to be nuclear ready. o_O

The scriptures reveal that the UN is actually a blasphemous counterfeit of God’s Messianic Kingdom by his Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ, whose princely rule will never end. (Isaiah 9:6, 7) Even if the UN were to patch up some temporary peace, wars would soon erupt again as they always have. :(

God's Kingdom by Christ will not only establish eternal peace on earth but, on the basis of Jesus’ ransom sacrifice, raise the dead, both the righteous and the unrighteous whom God has promised to awaken. (John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15) According to the Bible's promise, this will include everyone who has remained steadfast despite the attacks of Satan and his followers, and others who have yet to show themselves obedient. Obviously, God’s scroll of life will never contain the names of die-hard adherents of Babylon the Great, or of any who have continued to worship the wild beast. (Exodus 32:33; Psalm 86:8-10; John 17:3; Revelation 16:2; 17:5)

rusra02

Premium Member
What was its role?
According to reports, many priests and nuns either participated in the slaughter or assisted those who did. Many of the killers were and are practicing Catholics.
For example, according to CNN.com, "Four Catholic priests were indicted by the UN International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda for their role in the genocide in 2001.
Among them was Rwandan Catholic Priest Athanse Seromba who was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2006, increased to life imprisonment, for actively participating in the massacre of around 2,000 Tutsis who sought protection in his church.
Groups such as African Rights, who research the genocide, say there is "overwhelming evidence that church leaders maintained their silence in the face of genocide," according to a 1998 report.
They argue that the small number of indictments do not accurately represent the church's role in the genocide."
An article in The Guardian said: "The statement acknowledged that church members planned, aided and carried out the genocide, in which more than 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed by Hutu extremists."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

So yeah.
Exactly, and even though the local bishops apologized, it's not only a mystery to me why the Vatican hasn't, especially since PF is normally quite sensitive towards this in general.

BTW, did you notice that some here condemned the Vatican's non-interventionist role, and rightfully so, but somehow didn't quite get around to admitting that Protestants didn't do anything either?