• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic church cannot bless same-sex unions

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Blessing same sex marriages is just the same as a no catholic christian in mass crossing his hands over his chest to get the priest blessings. They can't be married in the church but at least the church can see them more than "just a union." I've never heard of the sacraments stop working based on what's in between a person's legs.

The church thought (and still written so probably still does) think what's between two couples legs defines the type of commitment two catholics of the same sex have with each other. Even equally so, continuously see gay people (they upgraded their views) from being sick to just needing to control their "lust." What's between the legs determines who is more acceptable to lust.

While jesus said neither gew nor gentile, etc, it does make me wonder if future popes will help change the churches view on gay catholics to where their marriage is blessed by God even though it can't by the church.

That's another thing, too. Gay catholics believe God blesses their communion. Is god wrong to have done so or is it less about their sex and more about their nature of their conviction?

Getting a blessing during communion is blessing the individual, not a couple or group. Even cohabitating heterosexual couples aren't supposed to be receiving blessings for similar reasons. This really isn't news to the gay Catholics, some of them already know what they must abstain from and where the Church stands on most of these matters.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Perhaps the Vatican should conduct annual polls to see which of its traditional teachings should be tossed out because of what is and is not currently popular?
I don't think the phrase 'currently popular' is correct. I've not seen any back tracking of policy changes, I think the correct phrase is "Moving with the times".

Vee

Premium Member
And people wonder why traditional churches are losing congregations!!

Catholic church cannot bless same-sex unions, Vatican decrees

I bet there are many catholic families with same-sex relationships in them
Come on Pope - join the 19th Century at least

A church is an institution with it's own rules and if they decide not to change the rules, that's up to them. For example, you won't see a basketball club change the rules of the game to please a few people who think the current ones are not working for them.
Many religions don't validate same sex marriages. The way I see it, if you want to be part of one of those religions, accept the rules, if you don't, you're free to leave or join an organization that suits you better.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A church is an institution with it's own rules and if they decide not to change the rules, that's up to them. For example, you won't see a basketball club change the rules of the game to please a few people who think the current ones are not working for them.
Many religions don't validate same sex marriages. The way I see it, if you want to be part of one of those religions, accept the rules, if you don't, you're free to leave or join an organization that suits you better.
I don't disagree with any of that. BUT the church cannot then be surprised when younger people turn away from it.

Vee

Premium Member
I don't disagree with any of that. BUT the church cannot then be surprised when younger people turn away from it.

True, but I believe young people will turn away regardless of that. Most young people are not getting married anymore so I doubt that's a big issue for them. Plus, the marriage recognized by law is the civilian one (at least over here). If people really want to get married, to someone of the same gender or the opposite gender, they can. That no longer depends on the church.
I think younger people are leaving the church and religion in general for other reasons.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Getting a blessing during communion is blessing the individual, not a couple or group. Even cohabitating heterosexual couples aren't supposed to be receiving blessings for similar reasons. This really isn't news to the gay Catholics, some of them already know what they must abstain from and where the Church stands on most of these matters.

Isn't it a conflict for gay catholic couple to feel their marriage is blessed by God even though the church says it's not?

How can they reconcile the two unless the church, God, or the couple is wrong. Which would insult the couple who loves god since ideally gods blessings are individual as well as communal.

How can you tell the nature of one's commitment by ones sex?

It has to be more than "because the church/bible says so".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The problem is, "free to leave" to them is saying free to leave gods people. Christ. It's not a club so when the church (any denom) devalues (different than disapprove) ss-marriage, they are literally saying God only loves people based on what's between their legs. Their body not their heart.

People leave because they are insulted by their identity in Christ not because they can't change the rules.

Edit

Last edited:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Isn't it a conflict for gay catholic couple to feel their marriage is blessed by God even though the church says it's not?

How can they reconcile the two unless the church, God, or the couple is wrong. Which would insult the couple who loves god since ideally gods blessings are individual as well as communal.

How can you tell the nature of one's commitment by ones sex?

It has to be more than "because the church/bible says so".

Yes, it's a contradiction for sure. As you noted, somebody has got it wrong. It really depends on the couple; some really don't care if they are blessed or not. It's clear to most people that the CC isn't going to accommodate gay couples in this regard so you'd have to ask those seeking it why they wish to pursue it.

There is plenty written as to what encompasses a marriage and why. It certainly has to do about more than just commitment and love.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My heart goes out to gay Catholics. In fact one of my mums coworkers is one and happily married to his husband.
I like them both as people. They’re cool.
The Catholic Church is free to not bless their union, as much as it hurts my soul. But I certainly won’t be supporting the institution any time soon.

Rejoice in the fact that young people are less likely to support homophobia and maybe even transphobia. I know I do.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It was meant to be a sarcastic comment about how far behind the times the Catholic Church is; it obviously missed the mark

I think you are unaware that through time the scales swing. I dont understand why a lot of modern day atheists can be so bias, so opportunistic and turns a blind eye to everything that defies an opportunity to feel good by thinking you are superior.

Its absurd. Do a Little bit of studying on the subject mate. Not just some website, but real study.

Sometimes you guys can be worse than some of the most dogmatic religious fanatics.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
In future I predict the church might make an exception if the same sex couple has adopted children, but it depends on what their theory of marriage is. In Malachi 2:15 (which is an accepted part of Catholic canon) a prophet writes that the purpose for marriage is to produce good children. If this is also the church's main belief of the purpose for marriage then there could be a future precedent in cases of adoption. All of this ties in with the rejection of contraceptives. The church believes officially in maximal baby production and in particular baptized children.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think you are unaware that through time the scales swing. I dont understand why a lot of modern day atheists can be so bias, so opportunistic and turns a blind eye to everything that defies an opportunity to feel good by thinking you are superior.

Its absurd. Do a Little bit of studying on the subject mate. Not just some website, but real study.

Sometimes you guys can be worse than some of the most dogmatic religious fanatics.
What evidence have you that 'scales swing' - are you saying that in (say) 50-years time same sex couples will be less favourably looked on?
Modern day atheists are not biased (or I don't believe them to be) they are just reflecting modern living and beliefs.

I have family members who are in a same sex marriage they have children that are a delight; I know many same sex couples. They are important to me and should not be treated differently to other marriages. What other study do you suggest I do?

Why are 'us guys' worse than dogmatic religious fanatics?

firedragon

Veteran Member
What evidence have you that 'scales swing' - are you saying that in (say) 50-years time same sex couples will be less favourably looked on?
Modern day atheists are not biased (or I don't believe them to be) they are just reflecting modern living and beliefs.

I have family members who are in a same sex marriage they have children that are a delight; I know many same sex couples. They are important to me and should not be treated differently to other marriages. What other study do you suggest I do?

Why are 'us guys' worse than dogmatic religious fanatics?

have you done any kind of research of history regarding this topic?

Please quote the experience you gathered from this research. Then, you will not seem like a dogmatic religious fanatic who has such dogmatic views he is blind to research and reason.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And people wonder why traditional churches are losing congregations!!

Catholic church cannot bless same-sex unions, Vatican decrees

I bet there are many catholic families with same-sex relationships in them
Come on Pope - join the 19th Century at least

The Pope does not have the Authority to change the Law. That is plain and simple.

The Law is also applicable in Religion that has come after Christianity, that was also given by God.

The issue may then be our willingness to understand why there is such a law.

Regards Tony

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
To be fair, Hinduism doesn't generally bless or perform same sex weddings either. The difference, however, which I admit is significant and probably wholly unrelated, is not that Hinduism has anything to say theologically, scripturally or spiritually about homosexuality... it doesn't. Hinduism just doesn't have a ritual for a same sex wedding, which is Vedic, based in the Vedas. And we Hindus love our rituals.. rituals and fire. :) There are Hindu priests who will perform blessings... they bless cars, for Heaven's sake :D but though a priest might perform a puja or archana for my husband and me, we couldn't say we have a traditional Vedic wedding. I think it's safe to say the Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox Churches will never perform same sex weddings. To do so would destroy the very foundations of their beliefs, like the foundations od Barad -dur being destroyed..

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The bad thing about the Church is that it moves very slowly, but the good thing about the Church is that it moves very slowly.

Altfish

Veteran Member
have you done any kind of research of history regarding this topic?

Please quote the experience you gathered from this research. Then, you will not seem like a dogmatic religious fanatic who has such dogmatic views he is blind to research and reason.
You started the discussion about 'scales swinging'; let's see your evidence first, then I'll back it up with mine.

Why do I think that you have no evidence?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The Pope does not have the Authority to change the Law. That is plain and simple.

The Law is also applicable in Religion that has come after Christianity, that was also given by God.

The issue may then be our willingness to understand why there is such a law.

Regards Tony
No, The Pope cannot change the law, but he has massive influence and one of the largest religions in the world.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a contradiction for sure. As you noted, somebody has got it wrong. It really depends on the couple; some really don't care if they are blessed or not. It's clear to most people that the CC isn't going to accommodate gay couples in this regard so you'd have to ask those seeking it why they wish to pursue it.

There is plenty written as to what encompasses a marriage and why. It certainly has to do about more than just commitment and love.

Many catholic gay couples believe their marriage is a sacrament they just their commitment can't be blessed by the Church because of their sex. If everything else was fine (everyone was of sound mind, strong conviction, and so forth) and were opposite sex, the Church would say its okay. So, one's sex has some sort of connection or correlation with the sacraments as well as commitment and love between two spouses. Unless god really didn't bless their marriage as the hypothetical couple believe he did, I wouldn't know how to blame the couple unless there was a way to explain how one's sex is a determinate to whether two people love each other or not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Perhaps the Vatican should conduct annual polls to see which of its traditional teachings should be tossed out because of what is and is not currently popular?
Catholic teaching actually supports same-sex marriage... or at least it would if it were consistent. It relates to the rationale for why priests can only be men:

It's because there's an allusion to marriage in the Eucharist: the priest is standing in the place of Christ, the bridegroom and therefore a man.

... but the Church - the congregation - is the bride of Christ... and the congregation can be anyone of any gender.

So the rationale for why women can't be priests supports same-sex marriage (for men, at least).