• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic church cannot bless same-sex unions

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's something like this -
Me - "No-fault divorce and more promiscuity in general could lead to situation where half the
kids in the country come from broken homes."
Liberal - "You are exaggerating. You think the sky is falling. You sound like a Murdoch press neocon."

30 years later.

Me - "Remember that argument we had about where promiscuity would lead us? Well here are the
stats you said would never happen."
So you say half the kids in the country come from broken homes? But even were that true, "broken home" is only a melodramatic (Murdoch media) way of saying the parents are divorced.

Where is your evidence that significant detriment to the children occurs in a significant proportion of those cases?
And this is where it IS my business. Half the kids in the country are being supported not by their fathers but by people like me who pay taxes and see freedom being eroded as the state increases to handle a Peter Pan generation.
Half the kids in Australia? I think "In a pig's ear" is one Australian expression for that.

Stay away from those rightwing media and you may find life isn't nearly as terrifying and doomed and horrible and dreadful as you presently think.

Sweat the big stuff like global warming and air and sea pollution.

PruePhillip

So you say half the kids in the country come from broken homes? But even were that true, "broken home" is only a melodramatic (Murdoch media) way of saying the parents are divorced.

Where is your evidence that significant detriment to the children occurs in a significant proportion of those cases?
Half the kids in Australia? I think "In a pig's ear" is one Australian expression for that.

Stay away from those rightwing media and you may find life isn't nearly as terrifying and doomed and horrible and dreadful as you presently think.

Sweat the big stuff like global warming and air and sea pollution.

You missed this bit, and its super relevant:

30 years later.

Me - "Remember that argument we had about where promiscuity would lead us? Well here are the
stats you said would never happen."
Liberal - "What business is it of yours?"

In short, the 'business' bit is a tacit admission of a lost argument.

During the Tasmania 'decriminalization of homosexuality' debate various gay groups declared
their stated aim to be left alone by the police, and not to promote homosexuality or seek for gay
marriage. Having won that debate these same people then undertook campaign for gay marriage
and gay promotion.
Identical thing is happening with euthanasia.

In short, the people who drive social policy either
1 - lie
2 - don't see where things are going.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Why do people pick and choose what to believe in the Bible?
Seems to me you are assuming that people have read the whole Bible and then pick and choose what they will from it.

My experience has been that most people rely upon someone else to present and then they merely follow along without even knowing if what they are following is even in the Bible to begin with.

PruePhillip

Seems to me you are assuming that people have read the whole Bible and then pick and choose what they will from it.

My experience has been that most people rely upon someone else to present and then they merely follow along without even knowing if what they are following is even in the Bible to begin with.

For sure, but in the case of homosexuality it's quite clear. In biblical times (Bronze Age to Roman times)
being caught in the act of homosexuality would lead to your death if you were in the Jewish world.

Altfish

Veteran Member

In other words, the bits that suit the preachers political position.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For sure, but in the case of homosexuality it's quite clear. In biblical times (Bronze Age to Roman times)
being caught in the act of homosexuality would lead to your death if you were in the Jewish world.
Kinda like, say, worshipping a triune god.

There are lots of things Christians do now that would have warranted death back in the day. You'd think that would stir up some empathy.

PruePhillip

Kinda like, say, worshipping a triune god.

There are lots of things Christians do now that would have warranted death back in the day. You'd think that would stir up some empathy.

We have 'empathy' for kids with our 'whole learning' that emphasizes their worth instead of their literature.
And there's 'empathy' for people who don't want permanent marriage but easy divorces.
And there's 'empathy' for criminals through lenient sentencing.
And 'empathy' for the kids who can't pass grades so grades are lowered for them.
etc..

Empathy is not necessarily a good word.

Particularly when it comes to moral issues. One man, commenting on the protecting
of crows in a city remarked, "What you tolerate you have to live with" as he surveyed
crows driving out other birds and effecting people's lives.