• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic bishops advance effort to deny Biden communion

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
My view is that Mr. Biden should be denied communion. His support for abortion denies the Church's emphatic teaching on the sanctity of human life. You cannot deny that teaching and pretend to be a Catholic in good standing. This is not about politics. This is about fundamental convictions of the Church which Catholics are bound to hold. The U.S. president is not exempt.

It is the job of the bishops to teach and guard the Catholic faith. And that faith if taught will upset a lot of people. It always has. But if you believe (and I would hope the successors of the Apostles believe) then you must be willing to accept that come what may. Christ promised the Church would never fall. Matthew 16:17-19. He never promised it would always be numerous in membership. Nor did Christ promise that Christians who do not negotiate on fundamental moral truths would be well liked.

Last edited:

Clara Tea

He is not a king. Because the king stands for Holy Spirit only. He is president. By definition, any president stays for every citizen in his country. But the people belong to two spirits: Holy Spirit and the evil spirit: "your father is the devil" (Jesus Christ). So, it seems reasonable and merciful to allow church communion to the president. It is his job, there is no other way around it (for the current planetary level of holiness). Simply, please make an exception. He is a good theist.

My sister doesn't have a good side. I wonder who will win in hell?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My view is that Mr. Biden should be denied communion. His support for abortion denies the Church's emphatic teaching on the sanctity of human life. You cannot deny that teaching and pretend to be a Catholic in good standing. This is not about politics. This is about fundamental convictions of the Church which Catholics are bound to hold. The U.S. president is notc exempt.
But this is not the issue that's causing so much backlash, including from the Pope and the Vatican itself.

What is so controversial about this is that other official Catholic teachings are not being treated in the same way, such as with the Catechism's teaching against capital punishment and the Pope's encyclical on climate change, just for starters. The impression that it's leaving with many is that the motive for the majority of these bishops appears to be mostly driven, not by Church teachings but by secular partisan politics.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
......God does not micromanage the world. There will be no divine involvement in mankind’s affairs. What is he waiting for? The question of why does a benevolent God let evil and suffering occur is a result of believing in an all-powerful, controlling creator God. If God can intervene but won’t, he’s not so benevolent. If God can’t intervene, he’s not so all-powerful. ..................

Agree, God does Not micromanage the world, Just as Adam was Not micromanaged, but given free-will choice.
What God is waiting for is the fulfillment of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 for the good news of God's Kingdom (Daniel 2:44) to be accomplished on a grand international scale as being done today.
The passing of time has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
The challenge of 'Evil and Suffering' is presented to us at Job 2:4-5.
Sinner Satan Not only challenged Job but includes all of us.
'Touch our 'flesh'.....' (loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God under bad conditions.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.

God is intervening or involving by having the good news declared on a vast global scale as never before in history.
We are nearing the ' final phase ' of Matthew 24:14 so that means we are nearing the ' final signal ' as found at 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 that when the powers that be are saying, " Peace and Security..." that proclaiming precedes or is the precursor to the coming ' great tribulation ' of Revelation 7:14,9.
The saying of Peace and Safety or Security thus will prove to be false giving people a false sense of security.
So, we are forewarned so that we are forearmed and Not be caught off guard.
Man has proven he can't direct his step, so God is going to have Jesus step in.
The 'sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth' will rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:1-15

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
What is so controversial about this is that other official Catholic teachings are not being treated in the same way, such as with the Catechism's teaching against capital punishment and the Pope's encyclical on climate change, just for starters. The impression that it's leaving with many is that the motive for the majority of these bishops appears to be mostly driven, not by Church teachings but by secular partisan politics.
Abortion has taken half a billion lives since Roe. Fathom that number for just a second. Half a billion. The horror of that number alone should render any comparison to support of the death penalty asinine. As the previous pope pointed out. Not all issues have the same moral weight.

Every time Mr. Biden takes communion he commits the mortal sin of sacrilege. Granted, unworthy communions have become endemic and Mr. Biden is hardly unique in that regard. But that it has become 'divisive' to question whether an obstinate public dissenter should be prevented from communion just shows how dark things have become in the Church.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Since everyone is unworthy, short communion, then.
True, we are all unworthy, but notice who Jesus chooses is to rule or govern with him at > Luke 22:28-30.
So, for such people (Daniel 7:18) there is a calling or a choosing - Revelation 20:6; Revelation 2:10; Revelation 5:9-10 because, unlike humanity in general, such people are as described in the above verses.
These are the ' worthy ' ones - 1 Corinthians 11:27-29. Ones who maintain that good spiritual relationship - Hebrews 6:4-6; Hebrews 10:26-29.
Not engaging questionable practices - James 1:27 B; James 4:4.
So, it is Not by personal choice or personal determination or just to be seen by men, but by God's choice as to who is called.
Remember there was No such arrangement for the people who lived before Jesus (John 3:13) so their arrangement is Not to rule or govern with Jesus, but to be part of the humble meek people to inherit the Earth - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:9-11.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My sister doesn't have a good side. I wonder who will win in hell?
I wonder to which ' hell ' are you referring________
The religious-myth hell of burning forever, or the Bible's hell which is the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead_______
Can anyone think of anyone righteous who went to hell the day he died _________
According to Acts of the Apostles 2:27 righteous dead Jesus went to hell the day he died.
Jesus did Not go to flames, but to sleep just as he taught at John 11:11-14. The dead sleep.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death:
- > Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:!7 Isaiah 38:16; Ecclesiastes 9:5
So, I suppose the question is who will win 'after' they are resurrected out of hell/ grave _______
What a person does ' after ' they are resurrected will determine either a good side or a bad side.
As for the bad-sided wicked they will Not burn but be ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; 2 Peter 3:9

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Abortion has taken half a billion lives since Roe. Fathom that number for just a second. Half a billion. The horror of that number alone should render any comparison to support of the death penalty asinine. As the previous pope pointed out. Not all issues have the same moral weight.
In a sense yes, but in another sense no. Wrong is wrong no matter what the consequences may be, so relativism should not be what's really at stake here.

According to Fr. James Martin SJ, climate change currently endangers far more lives over the ensuing decades than does abortion, but that doesn't make it more morally wrong than abortion.

Every time Mr. Biden takes communion he commits the mortal sin of sacrilege. Granted, unworthy communions have become endemic and Mr. Biden is hardly unique in that regard. But that it has become 'divisive' to question whether an obstinate public dissenter should be prevented from communion just shows how dark things have become in the Church.
I know he has struggled with this issue as I have as well because there's no single way to look at this if one is being objective. Biden, like myself, is personally opposed to abortion except to save the life of the woman. But what we are not willing to do is to tell a woman what she must do with what is inside of her, especially since my memories of back-alley abortions and the use of coat hangers on teen girls is still a horrific memory that I have of the "good old days".

Biden is president of the country thus is reluctant to ignore the fact that most Americans, including most Catholics btw, do not want abortions totally banned. Biden is not "Catholic President of the United States"-- he's "President of the United States", thus representing the latter constituency. Even practicing Chief Justice John Roberts, a practicing Catholic as well, has stated that Roe v Wade after five decades now is the "law of the land" and will not likely ever be overturned.

Thus, Biden is "pro-life" on this issue on the personal level but is "pro-choice" as president. But either way, abortion is not the only "pro-life" issue, therefore I believe it is quite disingenuous of some Catholics to only use this issue as being important in compliance with Catholic theology. And it appears that Pope Francis and the Vatican is in agreement with us, not the majority in the USCCB.

Last edited: