• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic bible or Oxford?

Riders

I talked to a Priest last night in chat about the Catholic bible. He said some difference between it and the Protestant bible is it has 7 more old testament books in it. I am not sure I want to get a Protestant bible so I thought about The Oxford. I use to have one a while back and since it has the Apocrypha in it it is big and more expensive. But since I am not joining the Catholic faith maybe I should consider Oxford.

Does anyone have an opinion on it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I talked to a Priest last night in chat about the Catholic bible. He said some difference between it and the Protestant bible is it has 7 more old testament books in it. I am not sure I want to get a Protestant bible so I thought about The Oxford. I use to have one a while back and since it has the Apocrypha in it it is big and more expensive. But since I am not joining the Catholic faith maybe I should consider Oxford.

You've narrowed it down to two out of the hundreds of version's. I'd say that's a good start. But, not joining the Catholic faith, why not choose the one most suitable to your faith

exchemist

Veteran Member

Which Catholic bible? There are different ones. I use the New Jerusalem bible, as it is a fresh translation, by good scholars, in modern English. As for choice of books to include, I should have thought it is better to include more than fewer. You can always decide for yourself whether or not to read them and how much weight you attach to them. (For the Protestants it is more important which books they qualify as "scripture", because of their reliance on sola scriptura. But that need not concern you.)

pearl

I talked to a Priest last night in chat about the Catholic bible. He said some difference between it and the Protestant bible is it has 7 more old testament books in it.

These are the books Luther did not consider to be inspired, as they were not of Hebrew origin, but from the Greek Septuagint.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I use the New Jerusalem bible, as it is a fresh translation, by good scholars, in modern English.
I use often that because of the additional explanations but I most often use the Catholic RSV as the latter [RSV] is more used in serious theological studies than any other.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Just for you info... it isn't that we, as Protestants, can't read or don't read the Apocrypha, it is just we see it as more historical in nature but not one inspired by God.

There are actually some KJV that also have the apocrypha.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Just for you info... it isn't that we, as Protestants, can't read or don't read the Apocrypha, it is just we see it as more historical in nature but not one inspired by God.

There are actually some KJV that also have the apocrypha.
You've put it better than I did.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

The Orthodox Bible has even more, especially the Oriental Orthodox canon. I personally prefer the Orthodox Study Bible, although I'm Catholic.

My favorite Catholic Bible is the Revised Standard Version: Second Catholic Edition.

metis

Luther in his first Bible in German put it in but in a different section because he thought it was at least worthy of reading. Actually, there's nothing I've read in the Apocrypha that should be controversial with possibly of praying for and to the dead [those in heaven].

metis

I got that backwards, it was written in Koine Greek, and I am not sure but if memory serves, the Gospel
of John may have been written in Greek and I think a few epistles.
As far as I can remember, it was entirely written in Koine Greek with the exception of possibly some of the earlier book(s) [which we don't have] being written in Aramaic. Koine Greek was widely used amongst the scholarly in the Mediterranean area.