• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic and Protestant faith....

A

angellous_evangellous

I have read a few Catholic theologies, and yes, we can agree that all are saved through grace. We will disagree on the nature of how one receives grace. If one is justified by faith, then there is no need for grace to be administered by the sacraments. That is, a person does not need a preist giving grace from God in the form of various sacraments (specifically the Eucharist) if grace is administered by the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ.

We will agree of course on the nature of Jesus, that He is the One True God, and that all things were created through Him, by Him, and for Him. It is because of this confession that we are unified and must recognize eachother as Christians.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus said:
But what if neither group is correct in its interpretation/ thinking/ doctrine/ dogma? Then would you say that the issues become separate? If one or both of the groups groups is wrong in its interpretation of the Bible, then I would say the question does not become, "who is right?" (being that neither is actually right) but rather, "what is right?"

That's a big what if Linus. Jesus said that He would build His Church, and He promised the Gates of Hades wouldn't prevail against it. In John, Christ promises the Spirit will lead His people into all truth; the "you" in that passage is plural. Paul advocates excommunication on the basis of immorality, and he also argues that teaching and doctrine are important. The NT appoints offices, and assumes a structure.

Further, it is the lifestyle that is paramount in Christianity. However, the mindset is easier to lose than the doctrines. The doctrines depend on it, and it on the doctrines.

In the end, the Christian lifestyle and theology are defined away. Christ's promises on the Church are invalidated; the Church Christ founded was lost, and thus, the Gates of Hades (corruption and death) did prevail. The offices of the NT become nonsensical; these change as readily as the times from group to group...and here without any sort of divine authority. Excommunication has no meaning; we can simply join another equally valid church. There is no correct theology; everybody sees the Bible differently, and the list of "essential doctrines" is almost entirely arbitrary (and each side arguing theirs is Bible-based).

As a result of that, we have theological and moral relativism reigning supreme in Christianity. If we are not arrogant, then we must admit that our interpretation is no more valid than the other 2k denominations. If we are, then we have cast aside rival interpretations and relativize it to "It's true, because I have interpreted it so." We have no authority, and no certainty.

In that scenario, Christianity falls, and unbelief advances rapidly just like we are seeing. Christianity makes a claim to absolute truth. It cannot hold onto that if we can't be certain of our teachings or can't be certain of the Christian phronema, and Christianity will recede as rapidly as it came. If it remains, it'll be based in little more than emotion.

No matter what, Christianity as it has existed will be extinguished in that view.

No*s

Captain Obvious
angellous_evangellous said:
I have read a few Catholic theologies, and yes, we can agree that all are saved through grace. We will disagree on the nature of how one receives grace. If one is justified by faith, then there is no need for grace to be administered by the sacraments. That is, a person does not need a preist giving grace from God in the form of various sacraments (specifically the Eucharist) if grace is administered by the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ.

We will agree of course on the nature of Jesus, that He is the One True God, and that all things were created through Him, by Him, and for Him. It is because of this confession that we are unified and must recognize eachother as Christians.

Even more, you and the RCC agree on the definition of grace, but the sacramentalism is no small difference.

A

angellous_evangellous

No*s said:
That's a big what if Linus. Jesus said that He would build His Church, and He promised the Gates of Hades wouldn't prevail against it. In John, Christ promises the Spirit will lead His people into all truth; the "you" in that passage is plural. Paul advocates excommunication on the basis of immorality, and he also argues that teaching and doctrine are important. The NT appoints offices, and assumes a structure.

Further, it is the lifestyle that is paramount in Christianity. However, the mindset is easier to lose than the doctrines. The doctrines depend on it, and it on the doctrines.

In the end, the Christian lifestyle and theology are defined away. Christ's promises on the Church are invalidated; the Church Christ founded was lost, and thus, the Gates of Hades (corruption and death) did prevail. The offices of the NT become nonsensical; these change as readily as the times from group to group...and here without any sort of divine authority. Excommunication has no meaning; we can simply join another equally valid church. There is no correct theology; everybody sees the Bible differently, and the list of "essential doctrines" is almost entirely arbitrary (and each side arguing theirs is Bible-based).

As a result of that, we have theological and moral relativism reigning supreme in Christianity. If we are not arrogant, then we must admit that our interpretation is no more valid than the other 2k denominations. If we are, then we have cast aside rival interpretations and relativize it to "It's true, because I have interpreted it so." We have no authority, and no certainty.

In that scenario, Christianity falls, and unbelief advances rapidly just like we are seeing. Christianity makes a claim to absolute truth. It cannot hold onto that if we can't be certain of our teachings or can't be certain of the Christian phronema, and Christianity will recede as rapidly as it came. If it remains, it'll be based in little more than emotion.

No matter what, Christianity as it has existed will be extinguished in that view.
--

No*s, I know of no great accomplishments in this country or of missionary efforts by the EO on the scale of the Protestants or Catholics that can justify your claims here. While the EO theology and claims are well kept secrets, we have been carrying the apostolic message of the Gospel to every corner of the world. Clearly, in our bringing the message of Jesus Christ, the gates of hell did not prevail against the church. Furthermore, a good Protestant cannot deny that Catholics are not justified by faith, just like we are. If they confess with their mouth and believe in their hearts that Jesus is Lord, then we accept them as brothers and sisters. You argument here is structured much like other groups who claim that only they will be saved (ie, Dutch Reformers, Landmark Baptists, etc). A Dutch Reformer and a Methodist once got in an argument as both of them thought that only their denomenation was going to heaven - finally the Dutchman said, "Ok, the Methodists are going to heaven, but only by the grace of God.

The core message of Christianity is the message of salvation in Christ Jesus. The message of John 3.16 is alive and well in Christian denomenations, and if they deny the fundamental theology that Jesus is God, he died on the cross for our sins and rose on the third day for our victory and as atonement for our sins, then they are not Christians. The Body of Christ confesses Him. If we truly believe in Him, we will keep His commandments.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Luke, can I ask you one question? Who gave birth to Jesus? If Mary didn't giv birth to Jesus, would Jesus have been able to live and teach what he did? Or even able to die? No of course not. I am not sure if you love your mother, but catholics sure love theirs. They do not place Mary above Jesus, this is a common misconception of catholics due to ignorance. Catholics view Mary as virgin from birth to death, therfore she is mother of god, blessed amongst women, etc... Catholics do not worship Mary, they honor her, and love her dearly. As most would love their mother, and I'm sure you do.
As usual, master Vigil, I find myself aggreeing with what you say; Scott, as far as I can work out, as there is low - high Anglican church, I know many followers of high Anglican church; as far as they are concerned, the only difference between your Religion and theirs is the acceptance of divorce. Now, of course, in order to keep up with the times, and protocol, additional differences are creeping in - women vicars amonst others.
I hope you will accept my respect for your views,
Peace in Christ,
Michel

M

Majikthise

After growing up Protestant in a mostly Catholic city (right across the street from a large ,is there any other kind,Catholic church),the thing I remember most was having to play alone after school because all my friends were in catechism.By the time I joined the military at the age of 20 I was doing alot of religious flip flopping.One of the guys in my flight who I admired for his calm and ability to overcome anythig thrown at him almost converted me to Mormonism.My wife is an ex Catholic and holds kind of a grudge against christians in general,I do not.I think having been a Pritestant left me a little more room for self discovery than learning out dated traditions.Just some thoughts on the matter.:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
--

No*s, I know of no great accomplishments in this country or of missionary efforts by the EO on the scale of the Protestants or Catholics that can justify your claims here. While the EO theology and claims are well kept secrets, we have been carrying the apostolic message of the Gospel to every corner of the world. Clearly, in our bringing the message of Jesus Christ, the gates of hell did not prevail against the church. Furthermore, a good Protestant cannot deny that Catholics are not justified by faith, just like we are. If they confess with their mouth and believe in their hearts that Jesus is Lord, then we accept them as brothers and sisters. You argument here is structured much like other groups who claim that only they will be saved (ie, Dutch Reformers, Landmark Baptists, etc). A Dutch Reformer and a Methodist once got in an argument as both of them thought that only their denomenation was going to heaven - finally the Dutchman said, "Ok, the Methodists are going to heaven, but only by the grace of God.

Well, there's a reason for that: Orthodoxy never had an Empire from which to launch it. It hasn't been a rich nation so it could have an SBC support it in another nation. And it's been under near-constant oppression.

Making the comparison to Protestantism is a little extreme. The missionaries generally come from the more wealthy countries. Christianity in the nations sending the missionaries wasn't under constant oppression from Islam or Communism. It was a part of a nation that was doing the conquests.

Russia, though, was always sending missionaries out. Monks and missionaries were going out to its frontier, and they would convert the people, who would retain their language and culture (that's the historical Orthodox method...there was no pressure to make them European). This happened continuously until 1917. Even Alaska was introduced by this method.

And Nate, Orthodoxy never makes any claim to be the only people in heaven ;).

The core message of Christianity is the message of salvation in Christ Jesus. The message of John 3.16 is alive and well in Christian denomenations, and if they deny the fundamental theology that Jesus is God, he died on the cross for our sins and rose on the third day for our victory and as atonement for our sins, then they are not Christians. The Body of Christ confesses Him. If we truly believe in Him, we will keep His commandments.

And John 3.16 doesn't require that. You will find that other people draw the line elsewhere, while you draw it there.

The statement is part of that ambiguity I was referring to. I believe this is the first period in history when salvation was equated with holding a minimalist set of beliefs. You can't find it in the Church in the first centure (certainly not John). You can't find it in the second, and it isn't present in the following. It is present now, though, and it developed in Protestant denominations that have the problem of not being able to identify.

Salam Alakkum, Scott. As far as I'm concerned I support unity between Christians all the way and as long as the Catholics dont plan a crusade any time soon its all good. Besides its not worth all the fighting in Ireland, eh?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Scott1 said:
What do we have in common? What are the major doctrinal differences?
Would this be open to all Christians in general, or just the Catholic and Protestant sects???

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
What do we have in common? What are the major doctrinal differences?

Can there be unity? What can we agree on?

Linus and I had a wonderful chat going on about the origin of sin in humanity on another thread, and I would love more input.

About all I could gather is that we both agree that we are saved by the Grace of God.

Anything else?

Peace,
Scott
This site: http://anglicanhistory.org/usa/claremont19214.html
seems to be clear on the doctrinal differences.

III. The Fundamental Difference between Protestantism and Catholicism.

There is one great common bond between Protestantism and Catholicism. It would be a sin against truth not to state it. It would be a sin against love, which is a greater matter than even truth, to underrate it. The saints of both systems—and both systems have saints—have a burning zeal for the service of God and a burning zeal for the service of men. Both systems are meant to promote these ends. Each system is to its followers the best way that they have been able to see to find God, and help the world. That finding God and helping the world are the two best ends in life, both parties are agreed. They differ as to what God offers us as ways and means of reaching the great end. In trying to set forth some present characteristics of the Protestant Movement, I must speak somewhat of its history, but first of all I must state What seems to me to be the fundamental and essential difference between modern Protestantism and that Catholicism which is of all time. To put it all in a single phrase, Protestantism is a religion of inspiration; Catholicism is a re-of revelation. Perhaps I may express it better by say that Protestantism is a religion of a single revelation, Protestantism says that a man must find his way to God by his own best thoughts. They are what God has en him, and God has not given him, and could not give anything else. A hundred years ago almost all Protestants would have said that the Bible was a book of infallible religious teaching and included much of revelation. Movement has moved on far since those days, and the majority of Protestant thinkers now take the line that no inspiration could ever make a man, even the writers of Holy Scripture, to be an infallible teacher, and that God cannot, the laws of the universe as He has made them, make Revelation of His truth to the creature, man. Catholicism the other hand, that we really have a revelation. God has made known a portion of his own thought as an illuminating message and a healing medicine. He has made this message known so that men can really know. A man must submit himself, says Catholicism, to this divine message, with its accompaniment of a few special directions, and of a few particular supernatural gifts, called Sacraments, and if the man finds that anything which has seemed to him before to be a part of his own best thoughts appears now to be in conflict with this gift of the thoughts of God, the man must, of course, thankfully submit his mind to be corrected by God's revelation of the truth.

I think that few Protestants will quarrel with my statement that their system teaches a man to follow his own best thoughts, and teaches him further that he has nothing else to follow. If they mention the Bible, it will be only in the sense of the good Baptist lady who said to me, more than forty years ago, "I believe that everything in the Bible is inspired which is inspired to me!" But our Protestant friends so little understand our claim to the possession of infallible guidance, that I must take time to express our difference in another way. This time, I will put the Catholic claim first.

The Catholic Church remembers—that is our great word—that our Blessed Lord, in the forty days between His Resurrection and His Ascension, gave to His Apostles certain instructions and directions, "speaking the things concerning the Kingdom of God." What those things were, the Church was not told in any book of the New Testament. Of course, not. The Church remembered what those things really were, and needed no reminder. In fact, the Catholic Church remembers, and has never ceased to testify, that in that teaching-time our Lord delivered a faith unto the saints,—what S. Paul speaks of as "the Gospel",—and delivered it once for all. The Catholic Church remembers what that delivered faith included, and the Church knows that what was included in that faith was true. It is not a part of the old, original Catholic claim that the Church can make any fresh revelation of her own at any time, add any new articles to this "faith," re-write this "Gospel." S. Paul anathematizes any such attempt, and the great Council of Chalcedon echoes him. We claim only that the Holy Spirit, guiding God's people into all the truth, enabled the Church, in the controversies of the fourth and fifth centuries, to see truly and decide justly as to whether certain new religious teachings were, or were not, antagonistic to the ancient faith. The Church pronounced that these opinions were inconsistent with the remembered faith. It was not a judgment as to whether new views of certain great subjects were true or false as a matter of philosophic theology, but whether they were consistent with a remembered revelation. What our Lord gave to His Church to keep safe, He enabled His Church to keep safe. That is the claim of the Catholic Church, and of every faithful Catholic. Yet here honesty as to Catholic faults and fairness as to Protestant faults require of me an important admission. The modern Protestant position looks to us Catholics like a wilful refusal of light. But we need to remember that the mistakes of noble men have always a noble origin. We need to face the fact that the Protestant fault in the Reformation-movement arose out of a Catholic fault. The Mediaeval Church had greatly abused the principle of authority in Religion. It had not been content to remember the infallible teachings of our Lord, and demand men's allegiance to the once-for-all delivered faith. The Mediaeval Church had yielded to the temptation to regard its own judgments as infallible, and demand submission to everything in the way of either theology or Church order which the ruling authorities of the Church might agree to impose. The Mediaeval Church departed from the lines of a true Catholicism by adding "necessary things" of its own devising—such necessary things, for example, as the Theory of Transubstantiation, of the Papal Supremacy,— to the "necessary things" of our Lord Himself. By setting up in this way a false "authority" it poisoned the minds of men with a morbid suspicion and dislike of the whole idea of Church authority. Because the Mediaeval Church did use its authority to impose upon men things which clearly our Lord did not impose, therefore it came to be a fundamental position of the Protestant mind that to receive anything on the authority of the Church is to set up another authority in place of the authority of Jesus Christ. The Church as we know it has repented of that sin, and stands now on a truly Catholic foundation. But the revolt of Protestantism was in its beginning a revolt against something un-Catholic. The complaint of Protestantism said, "The Church has tried to compel us by its authority to believe things which come not with God's authority, and are not true. We will never submit our minds to the authority of the Church again." The Protestant complaint was just. The bitter sense of having been imposed upon and tyrannized over by the Church, which Protestantism has brought down the centuries from the Reformation-period as one of its most treasured traditions, is in a measure just. We ought to acknowledge that much. We may still insist that in casting off the false "authority" they should not have cast away the true. They did cast away the true "authority" with the false, and then, suffering the Nemesis of their unhappy mistake, they set up that same evil of a false "authority," the making by groups of men of "creeds" that were only their own "creeds," all over again. They set up precisely that antithesis from which they had tried so desperately to break away, the imposing of the opinions of men instead of the facts of God.

Protestants generally think of us as making claim, which the Roman Church does make, that the Catholic Church has an office as a revealer of truth, and not merely as a faithful rememberer of a revelation once made. But even when we have made clear our more modest position, Protestantism will have none of it. Protestantism will not allow that the Church has any continuous, unchanging memory, what I may call a "corporate memory," of its own past, even of such a fact as our Lord's rising from the dead. Protestantism holds that the only means we have of finding any facts of early Christian history is to study the New Testament writings, with their manifold allusions to things which were then matters of common knowledge, and try to piece these allusions together, and so find out what it was that the Church then knew so familiarly. And Protestantism in these days generally adds that the writers of the New Testament books may in some cases need to be sharply corrected by modern scholars, as having gravely misunderstood the religious teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pt 2.

Once again, then, I will try to put this fundamental difference of Catholic and Protestant into a single phrase, which shall be this: All the best and wisest scholars are also the humblest, but the Catholic Church teaches her wise and humble scholars to thank God upon their knees for what they know, and the Protestant Churches teach their best men (the men who are wise enough to be humble) to apologize to their brethren for what they think. There are arrogant Protestant scholars who sometimes state opinions quite too confidently. "AH scholars are agreed" is one of their favorite phrases, and a particularly provoking phrase, for there are very few points on which all scholars do agree, and in regard to such points nobody cares to use such a phrase at all. But when you examine a Protestant theologian as to the grounds of his belief, you will generally find that in the field of religious enquiry he regards absolutely certain knowledge as a gift which God has not given to the creature, man.

Hope that helps; this is only an extract.........;)

Hello everybody. I just wanted to jump in and say something real quick. I'm Pentecostal (Church of God, Cleveland, TN) and one of the things I would love to do is stand worshipping God with my catholic brothers and sisters, eastern orthadox, lutheran, and the rest. I wish the leaders could all just sit down and work out some of these doctrinal issues! A house divided itself cannot stand, and I believe that its God plan that He unites His Church! I long for the day! Well, thanks for your time everybody and may the Lord of all creation bless you!

- David -