• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Abuse Scandal was Primarily Homosexual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I think there was an effort by some progressive gays to infiltrate and use the Church for their own agenda.

These same groups attack Church doctrine in other areas as well.
BTW, I'm not convinced that homosexuality was as
big a component as he thinks. It could very well be
that sex with boys wasn't about a homosexual
orientation, but just a way to have sex & human
contact of any kind. In such a case, it would be
a perversion, not homosexuality.

It's common to try and equate homosexuality with clergy's abuse of children. However, both male and female minors have been abused by clergy, it's just that the majority of victims are male. This makes sense when you think about their access to children, as altar boys have always been the norm. The Vatican only allowed for altar girls in the mid-1990s. When you consider how many decades (centuries, no doubt) this abuse dates back, it's clear this is a contributing factor of convenience.

It's not solely a matter of homosexuality nor even primarily so, and arguably not at all in various cases. If it was simply about homosexuality the priests could satisfy themselves with each other instead of diddling kids and no one would be the wiser. This is primarily hebephilia (abuse of pubescent children) and ephebophilia (abuse of teens) and some pedophilia (prepubescent). This involves the desire to have power over a sexual victim and, certainly, in decades past, this was easy to achieve. It was the norm to never question a priest, they were assumed above reproach. Adults would believe "a man of the cloth" over a child's protestations, which only embolden them.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The National Review Board, recruiting a research team from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, released its initial report in 2004. The results were conclusive: This was not a "pedophile" scandal, but a homosexual scandal. Eighty percent of the alleged victims were male, and nearly 90 percent were post-pubescent, with "only a small percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children."

I addition, almost all the abuse happened 20 years ago or more.

The Church has taken action to block actively gay men from becoming priests and instituted other safety measures which have virtually ended instances of abuse.
Since the final report says no such thing as is clear from reading it here
Catholic Abuse Scandal was Primarily Homosexual
Your OP is nothing but false, hateful propaganda. Repugnant lies, not truth.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
The National Review Board, recruiting a research team from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, released its initial report in 2004. The results were conclusive: This was not a "pedophile" scandal, but a homosexual scandal. Eighty percent of the alleged victims were male, and nearly 90 percent were post-pubescent, with "only a small percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children."

The Church has taken action to block actively gay men from becoming priests and instituted other safety measures which have virtually ended instances of abuse.

It's not a homosexual scandal. Homosexual males don't have interest in nor sex with females of any age. Per your own quote "Eighty percent of the alleged victims were male" which means, by that account, 20% of victims are female. That's heterosexual sexual abuse.

While technically pedophilia is the sexual abuse of prepubescent minors, in common parlance it's used to generally refer to any all cases of abuse upon minors regardless of age. Even so, the fact remains clergy are guilty of diddling children of various ages, if you want to be specific that's hebephilia (abuse of pubescent children) and ephebophilia (abuse of teens), in addition to some pedophilia (prepubescent). Either way, it's adults who committed sexual abuse upon minors of various age groups. Regardless of terminology, it's immoral and illegal.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Ignoring the fact that 80% of the abuse was homosexual is worse.

We aren't ignoring it. We're explaining that other environmental factors affect that number, which I outlined for you. You're trying to paint it as just a function of gayness. It isn't. Studies outside Catholicism have shown that gay people are no more likely to abuse children than straight people. So when you see a weird disproportionate number of people of one sex being abused more than the other, it should make you question what other factors are at play.

KW

I understand your desire to defend the Roman Catholic Church since you are a Catholic yourself. As an ex-Christian myself, I know how important it is for Christians to staunchly defend their preferred Christian beliefs and Christianity as a whole. So, it stands to reason that you, as a devout Catholic, would want to ward off any objections and accusations against your church. However, you resorting to vicious name-calling ("leftists," "bigots," "bigots stick together," "bigoted hatred") not only tarnishes your staunch defense of your church, but it also tarnishes your personal reputation as a Christian. I think it would also help your defense of your church if you used an independent source to validate the report of the National Review Board since it was already reviewed and disputed by another member in post # 33. I think the adage, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," would work much better for you in convincing other people that what you wrote in your OP is the truth. I'm offering you some friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

The bigotry against the Catholic Church is rampant on these boards.

I don't plan to sugar coat the truth.

Thanks for your advice.

KW

We aren't ignoring it. We're explaining that other environmental factors affect that number, which I outlined for you. You're trying to paint it as just a function of gayness. It isn't. Studies outside Catholicism have shown that gay people are no more likely to abuse children than straight people. So when you see a weird disproportionate number of people of one sex being abused more than the other, it should make you question what other factors are at play.

That's an excuse.

For a Catholic priests, any sexual activity is an abuse of their oaths and their faith.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
It says that over 70% of the victims were teen boys.

This means if this was about homosexuality the number would be 100%. Gay males have no interest in females and yet 30% of victims were not boys. Ergo...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's all end accusations of bigotry & lying.
Rules have been bent, & perhaps broken.
No one wants The Man to lock the thread
or bloody some knuckles.
So keep it civil, guys.

KW

This means if this was about homosexuality the number would be 100%. Gay males have no interest in females and yet 30% of victims were not boys. Ergo...

70% teen boys, about 15% male children.

Agreed, it is not 100% homosexual.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Thanks for your advice.

Admittedly, I've been harsh on the Catholic Church because of its sex abuse scandal, but I don't consider fair criticism of its sex abuse scandal to be bigotry. I think your continual use of the word is your way of attempting to silence those who criticize your church.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Thanks for your advice.

Facts ≠ bigotry. Nor is the Catholic church the only religion in which this abuse occurs. The shameful lack of remorse and shell-game style behavior of reassigning criminal clergy to new parishes to start their attacks anew on fresh, unsuspecting victims is the fault of the Church. Had it policed its own and reported abusers to law enforcement instead of acting outside the law, this wouldn't have been a widespread crisis. Church leadership is to blame for the fallout, no one else.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Well, at least you've admitted that the Catholic church has a problem with predator priests, and you've recognized it as shameful enough that you feel the need to look for a scapegoat.

I'll count that as progress... even with your ridiculous ideas about who to scapegoat.

BTW: all the complicit bishops who suppressed abuse reports and shuffled predator priests around from unsuspecting parish to unsuspecting parish... do you think they were all gay, too?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mention has been made of the prison environment, but a similar thing occurs when children are abused in the home environment, and where the larger numbers who abuse (can't remember exact) have been deemed not to be paedophiles but simply sexual abusers, given they don't have the orientation that most paedophiles exhibit and the children are usually abused because they are 'available' and the abuser has issues that cause them to abuse.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
That's an excuse.

There's no excuse for child abuse. What we can do is try to understand why it happens and in what contexts it happens. Clearly it's not "a homosexual problem," because we know from social science research that gays are not more likely than straights to abuse children. So something more is going on in these cases. Other factors are at play. More than one has already been explained.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's common to try and equate homosexuality with clergy's abuse of children. However, both male and female minors have been abused by clergy, it's just that the majority of victims are male. This makes sense when you think about their access to children, as altar boys have always been the norm. The Vatican only allowed for altar girls in the mid-1990s. When you consider how many decades (centuries, no doubt) this abuse dates back, it's clear this is a contributing factor of convenience.

Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.