1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Catholic Abuse Scandal was Primarily Homosexual

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by KW, Jun 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +18,723
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Indeed. @Viker 's reference to "prison sex" is highly relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic

That in no ways undercuts the conclusion of Church Militant or the facts.

The victims were primarily teen boys. The perpetrators were homosexual in these cases.

3. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +18,723
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    The report explicitly says that priests with same-sex experiences were NOT more likely to be abusers than others.

Furthermore I refer you to @Viker 's shrewd comparison to prison sex. There are occasions when otherwise heterosexual men will resort to homosexual sex, through deprivation of any other outlet for their desires. This seems to be notoriously true of US prisons, as a matter of fact. Were you not aware of this?

4. Viker

Viker Spirit in Black

Ratings:
    +8,818
    Religion:
    aquelarres federados en diabolismo, diabolatría, satanismo teísta, luciferismo
    One can take facts and twist them to their advantage. Church Militant did that well. Most others who have no interest in sharing a confirmation bias will see things for what they are.

5. Viker

Viker Spirit in Black

Ratings:
    +8,818
    Religion:
    I'm going to scare many of you, now.

Homosexual acts do not always imply homosexuality. Run and hide if you wish, now.

6. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic

It says that over 70% of the victims were teen boys.

7. Left Coast

Left Coast The Fabulous
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,955
    Religion:
    It's Complicated
    Some gay people abuse others. Some straight people abuse others. Neither of those facts is relevant to the sexual orientation itself.

It is a long-standing homophobic trope to paint us as pedophiles. To make people afraid of us and paint us as some sort of predators who are dangerous to children or society at large. When the truth is we are just regular people who are not dangerous and just want what everyone else wants - love compassion, respect, understanding.

I am thankful that more and more people in society have moved past the ignorant myths about us and recognize us for the beautiful human beings we are, worthy of love and respect and equal rights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,432
    Religion:
    None.
    There's more to it than that. Most of the abuse was against children, and of those children mostly young boys. Two things to consider here:
    1. Priests for a very long time had much easier access to boys than girls. Girls were only permitted to serve at the altar in 1994, and much of the abuse history is before that time.
    2. Boys, being children, tend to be more androgynous than grown men. Even in prison, and aboard ship, horny straight men preferred younger, hairless male targets to those who more resembled themselves.
    For that reason, I think quite a lot (certainly not all!) was less homosexual than purely child sexual abuse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry The "I" in Reality

Ratings:
    +7,430
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Worse comes to worse, you can always fall back on conspiracy theories...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic

Most of the abuse was not pedophilia.

11. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,238
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I totally agree.

12. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic
    No, most of the abuse was teen boys.

13. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +87,633
    Religion:
    Atheist
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Left Coast

Left Coast The Fabulous

Ratings:
    +15,955
    Religion:
    It's Complicated
    Pederasty is still child abuse, not "homosexuality." And again, the situation has a lot to do with other environmental factors in the Catholic Church: altar servers were previously all boys, priesthood is an all-male profession and thus anyone wanting to become a priest and spending more time around priests for training or counseling will be boys, priests are sometimes sexually repressed by their vow of celibacy, etc.

None of that is an excuse for painting this situation as being about gay people broadly speaking. Again, we are not dangerous to children or society. We are just normal people.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,238
    Religion:
    Catholic
    True, of any artificial environment, but that does not represent true homosexuality, but heterosexual perversion.

16. Viker

Viker Spirit in Black

Ratings:
    +8,818
    Religion:
    Notice a word you used? Abuse? Sexual abuse or rape can happen to anyone from anyone. Many of the institutions made rape to easy for men to rape the preferred acolytes or progeny in these organizations, boys. Looks homosexual from the outside but it's rape. Rape is rape is rape. Most rapes in the world are done by men against girls. Does this mean that heterosexuality is to blame or is it abuse of authority to blame?

• Like Like x 2
  17. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic

Ignoring the fact that 80% of the abuse was homosexual is worse.

The reality is that those who don't accept Catholic teaching on sexual morality should not be priests.

18. sayak83

sayak83 Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,773
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    Do you understand that heterosexual people under conditions of sexual deprivation have a significantly greater propensity to engage in same gender sex? That sex can be about showing power and dominance rather than attraction?
    Most victims were make does not mean that most perpetrators were homosexual.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KW

KW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Religion:
    catholic
    I understand that is a common excuse.

20. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮ and ❤

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Religion:
    Wicca and Spiritualism.
    I understand your desire to defend the Roman Catholic Church since you are a Catholic yourself. As an ex-Christian myself, I know how important it is for Christians to staunchly defend their preferred Christian beliefs and Christianity as a whole. So, it stands to reason that you, as a devout Catholic, would want to ward off any objections and accusations against your church. However, you resorting to vicious name-calling ("leftists," "bigots," "bigots stick together," "bigoted hatred") not only tarnishes your staunch defense of your church, but it also tarnishes your personal reputation as a Christian. I think it would also help your defense of your church if you used an independent source to validate the report of the National Review Board since it was already reviewed and disputed by another member in post # 33. I think the adage, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," would work much better for you in convincing other people that what you wrote in your OP is the truth. I'm offering you some friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.