• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Conundrum

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I have an issue. Well, more than one but for sake of simplicity I'll keep this thread to just the one. ;)

My ex and I bought a cat together 4 years ago when we lived together. We broke up a year and a half ago and I moved out. At that time, we agreed the cat would continue living with my ex because he has a nice house in a nice neighborhood. The cat is indoor/outdoor and is king of the jungle where my ex lives. It's safe and quiet and he does what he wants. Even though the cat was more bonded with me and I'm more of a cat person than my ex, I didn't want to bring the cat with me since I moved to a tiny apartment in a much more urban area with no yard, etc. So it was better for the cat to stay with my ex, in my thinking.

Fast forward to a few months ago, my ex said he can't/doesn't want to keep the cat. His reasons were that the cat keeps getting fleas and then gives fleas to his dog, and that the cat has gotten into some fights with neighborhood cats and had some expensive vet visits. Do these sound like standard pet problems? Yes, yes they do. And my ex has a very good job, he's not hard up for money. So I think the bigger issue is he just doesn't want the cat. Maybe it reminds him of me, I don't know.

Now, I've since moved into a new apartment that is larger and I think could accommodate the cat. However, pets are not allowed. :facepalm:
My ex and I have tried to find a new home for the cat but to no avail. So now, my ex has put the cat on a wait list to go to a no kill shelter. :fearful::flushed:

So the question is: do I take the cat? My therapist says he'll write me a letter for an emotional support animal. But it means I'll have to try to keep him a secret from my landlord as long as possible. And retrain him to be indoor only. And face a fight if the landlord finds out. But I can't stomach my cat being sent back to a shelter. I mean, who does that when they have the means to take care of the animal?

Anyway - recommendations? Constructive and kind ones, please.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have an issue. Well, more than one but for sake of simplicity I'll keep this thread to just the one. ;)

My ex and I bought a cat together 4 years ago when we lived together. We broke up a year and a half ago and I moved out. At that time, we agreed the cat would continue living with my ex because he has a nice house in a nice neighborhood. The cat is indoor/outdoor and is king of the jungle where my ex lives. It's safe and quiet and he does what he wants. Even though the cat was more bonded with me and I'm more of a cat person than my ex, I didn't want to bring the cat with me since I moved to a tiny apartment in a much more urban area with no yard, etc. So it was better for the cat to stay with my ex, in my thinking.

Fast forward to a few months ago, my ex said he can't/doesn't want to keep the cat. His reasons were that the cat keeps getting fleas and then gives fleas to his dog, and that the cat has gotten into some fights with neighborhood cats and had some expensive vet visits. Do these sound like standard pet problems? Yes, yes they do. And my ex has a very good job, he's not hard up for money. So I think the bigger issue is he just doesn't want the cat. Maybe it reminds him of me, I don't know.

Now, I've since moved into a new apartment that is larger and I think could accommodate the cat. However, pets are not allowed. :facepalm:
My ex and I have tried to find a new home for the cat but to no avail. So now, my ex has put the cat on a wait list to go to a no kill shelter. :fearful::flushed:

So the question is: do I take the cat? My therapist says he'll write me a letter for an emotional support animal. But it means I'll have to try to keep him a secret from my landlord as long as possible. And retrain him to be indoor only. And face a fight if the landlord finds out. But I can't stomach my cat being sent back to a shelter. I mean, who does that when they have the means to take care of the animal?

The most important thing...
Don't violate your lease.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Don't try to hide the cat. Try renegotiating your contract as soon as you have the recommendation from your therapist.
And research if the no animals clause is even legal where you live.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Either euthanize it, or take the time yourself to go find it a happy home. It will be better off either way.

PureX

Veteran Member
If I were the landlord, I'd stick to my guns. As soon a neighbors finds out you have a pet, they'll have to have three.

No offense, but you shouldn't have got the cat in the first place. Find a new home for it, move and keep it yourself, or let the ex deal with it.

I'd try #1, then #3. But I'm not a big pet person (any more).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You could try your landlord to see if an "emotional support animal" is acceptable.

Or find an apartment that will accept pets and move.

The flea excuse sounds like an excuse. There are products on the market that prevent flea infestation (front line spot on is an example). We have 5 cats, 3 of them strays that choose to live with us. We use a flea repellent once a month and are not troubled with fleas, ticks etc.

As @Revoltingest says, don't violate your lease, you and the cat could end up homeless.

Curious George

Veteran Member
You could try your landlord to see if an "emotional support animal" is acceptable.

Or find an apartment that will accept pets and move.

The flea excuse sounds like an excuse. There are products on the market that prevent flea infestation (front line spot on is an example). We have 5 cats, 3 of them strays that choose to live with us. We use a flea repellent once a month and are not troubled with fleas, ticks etc.

As @Revoltingest says, don't violate your lease, you and the cat could end up homeless.
Landlord cannot tell her that support animal is not acceptable

PureX

Veteran Member
Why? We had no idea we'd be in this situation.
Cats live a long time. Relationships not so much.
Yeah that tracks.
I was the "ex" in this situation years ago, with a dog the GF wanted and then couldn't take with her when we split up. He was a great pet for 12 years until he died. There was no way I was taking him to the pound.

But he was also a lot of upkeep for all those years. I'm just sayin', don't get them if you aren't willing to keep them.