• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casting a gold ring, and electro-plating silver rings.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Casting a gold ring, and electro-plating silver rings.

I got better at casting silver rings and eventually my first attempts went back in to the melting crucible! But Valentine's day was coming along and so I gave up my only gold ring to the fire and produced a gold ring for my wife, the mold having been made from a walnut wedding ring which I had made for our wooden anniversary long ago. I also made a silver ring using the same walnut ring, and the three rings were presented on the day with roses and card etc. :) (We're kind of soppy)

She liked them and suggested that I make silver and a gold copies of my own walnut wedding band, but I only had a tiny amount of gold left, so she turned through her jewelry boxes and gave me enough gold to make a gold ring for myself. Gold melts at 100.C higher temperature than silver and it seems to be less volatile than silver in its molten state, possible because I only have a propane torch, and a lot more gold is needed than 'just enough' so that it pushes itself right through the mold before setting. And so after casting a ring for myself there was an extra 9 grams of 14ct gold left over, as you can see from the photos. That little lump of metal is worth £200 this morning, the highest price for 14 carat gold that I can ever remember. I don't want to use such expensive metal for a fun hobby, but did want to find a good use for that little lump.

Electro-plating! The trouble with EP is that it is more complex than I really want to get in to! A search of U-tube 'how-to' vids showed just how complex EP can be, and I already knew from my security-consultant days that commercial EP plants use masses and masses of cyanide crystals. Masses of cyanide! I once visited an EP plant in West London which was sited right beside a reservoir. There were huge bags of cyanide crystals just laying around in an open room with only 4mm glass in its unsecured windows, and I often wondered about that mass of poison laying around by a blooming reservoir......... the mind of a security consultant, I'm afraid. But that was 35 years ago, and since then I've found that nobody gives a hoot about any risks until they've been found out, and then the 'lessons to be learned' BS gets sent around. Hey! I'n retired! Back to super-simple Electro-plating!

I decided to ignore all U-tube lessons and just do it the 'Oldbadger' way. Gold plating for idiots. I purchased a bottle of clear vinegar from the local supermarket @ .55 pence, a neighbour electrician gave me some earthing cable which provided the copper electrodes, I already had a spare silver ring and a lump of gold. And three AA nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries would supply 3.6 volts. That was that....

I connected my gold lump to the positive battery terminal and hung it in the vinegar acid, I connected the silver ring hanging from a copper wire to the negative terminal and placed that in the vinegar, turned on the currect and went to bed. This morning I discovered that I had a rose-gold couloured ring as the result, this is possibly because some copper combined with the gold in the plating process. I like rose gold.

Now, can anybody tell me whether this ring will keep it's lovely plating, or how I might need to 'fix' it, etc? For all I know it will have turned blue by this afternoon! :D
Pics follow:-
P1020451.JPG

P1020456.JPG

Finally, our collection of white-metal cockles, mussels and clams! The gold ones are simply that real shells that I used, painted gold! :)
P1020457.JPG

Heyo

Veteran Member
Now, can anybody tell me whether this ring will keep it's lovely plating, or how I might need to 'fix' it, etc? For all I know it will have turned blue by this afternoon! :D
I don't have experience with EP myself but from using diverse plated things I can tell you that that micron thick layer will be rubbed off eventually. But it's at least more stable than just brushing on a brass layer to my metal work.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't have experience with EP myself but from using diverse plated things I can tell you that that micron thick layer will be rubbed off eventually. But it's at least more stable than just brushing on a brass layer to my metal work.

I don't mind if the EP wears off, because I would be able to re-plate same again, and again.

I'm just wondering how much of the plating came from the copper wire and how much from the gold........... but if there is a mix of b oth then that's fine. The plating does look very rosey! It's the middle ring of the three.

I'm going to wear it all day today and if my finger is stained green then I'll know that I have to think again. :D

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm just wondering how much of the plating came from the copper wire and how much from the gold........... but if there is a mix of b oth then that's fine. The plating does look very rosey! It's the middle ring of the three.
It looks pretty much like copper. Copper is not a noble metal and much more likely to dissolve in the vinegar and and settle on the anode.
Possible fixes:
- use a gold wire to hang the ring on
- don't submerge the ring and rotate it while plating
Other possibilities to improve on the process:
- hammer your lump of gold into a foil to increase the surface
- get a stronger acid.

Gold wire and gold foil isn't very expensive since gold can be stretched very thin and the final product doesn't weigh very much. Gold foil can be applied to many surfaces by just rubbing it on. It's a technique used in traditional book binding to protect the pages from moisture.

schnitt07.jpg

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It looks pretty much like copper. Copper is not a noble metal and much more likely to dissolve in the vinegar and and settle on the anode.
Possible fixes:
- use a gold wire to hang the ring on
- don't submerge the ring and rotate it while plating
Other possibilities to improve on the process:
- hammer your lump of gold into a foil to increase the surface
- get a stronger acid.

Gold wire and gold foil isn't very expensive since gold can be stretched very thin and the final product doesn't weigh very much. Gold foil can be applied to many surfaces by just rubbing it on. It's a technique used in traditional book binding to protect the pages from moisture.

schnitt07.jpg
Yes. All good advice.
I am plating another silver ring today and the copper does not touch the vinegar at all. I may buy some HCL acid next week which would make a massive difference.

pearl

My grandson has made many things using a 3d printer and a kiln, including his fiancé's engagement ring.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My grandson has made many things using a 3d printer and a kiln, including his fiancé's engagement ring.
Brilliant!
You have a very clever grandson. I'm not so clever, but I do enjoy messing about with things and learning as I go.