• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caste System

Watchmen

Premium Member
Its true. Rich kids often have their educations payed for, and have connections with other rich people, while poor kids often have to take out loans, are saddled in debt, and don't have the same connections that rich kids do.

Really? My daughter just graduated university and all the “poor kids” had free rides through government grants (not scholarships). They didn’t pay a dime and, in fact, were given a bunch of money because …. COVID.

My daughter, on the other hand, qualified for zero grants because she has a “rich” daddy (me). She worked and went to school at the same time, paid her own way (except for a bit of help from me), and graduated in four years. So she paid for her own education with my assistance. And, as a tax payer, I also helped fund her “poor” friends. And, as a tax payer, I also contributed to their COVID relief even though they were students who literally weren’t paying anything. What exactly did they need relief from?

Look, I’m all for education, but when my daughter can pay most of her own way by working her *** off, it makes me wonder why Joe-taxpayers like me have to fund the “poor” who are unwilling to work themselves through college.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? My daughter just graduated university and all the “poor kids” had free rides through government grants (not scholarships). They didn’t pay a dime and, in fact, were given a bunch of money because …. COVID.

My daughter, on the other hand, qualified for zero grants because she has a “rich” daddy (me). She worked and went to school at the same time, paid her own way (except for a bit of help from me), and graduated in four years. So she paid for her own education with my assistance. And, as a tax payer, I also helped fund her “poor” friends. And, as a tax payer, I also contributed to their COVID relief even though they were students who literally weren’t paying anything. What exactly did they need relief from?

Look, I’m all for education, but when my daughter can pay most of her own way by working her *** off, it makes me wonder why Joe-taxpayers like me have to fund the “poor” who are unwilling to work themselves through college.

Wish my poor friends had had those opportunities... they all had to pay their loan debts, and work their ***es off, just like your daughter.

Covid's a new thing, relatively speaking. Covid aid hasn't always been there, nor will it always be.

I think these things are largely affected by what state you're in.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Wish my poor friends had had those opportunities... they all had to pay their loan debts, and work their ***es off, just like your daughter.

Covid's a new thing, relatively speaking. Covid aid hasn't always been there, nor will it always be.

I think these things are largely affected by what state you're in.
Why did they take loans? Why didn’t they just work their butts off? If they were poor, didn’t they receive grants? Did they properly complete the FAFSA? Did they stay home for school to avoid cost of boarding? Did they choose an expensive college or something more within their budget?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Reminds me of the Kshatriyas and Brahmin classes that hire a priest to "find fault" in their lineage, so as to push them into a lower "caste" so that they can reap the college benefits of affirmative action. (Yes this does happen in India).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why did they take loans? Why didn’t they just work their butts off? If they were poor, didn’t they receive grants? Did they properly complete the FAFSA? Did they stay home for school to avoid cost of boarding? Did they choose an expensive college or something more within their budget?

While this nitpicking may serve a purpose in your mind. I don't think it really matters.

My wife and I are not the most well off, yet neither of us qualify for grants. When I still lived at home, my parents were lower middle class, and yet grants and scholarships were not really in the cards, even though I applied for many of them.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Reminds me of the Kshatriyas and Brahmin classes that hire a priest to "find fault" in their lineage, so as to push them into a lower "caste" so that they can reap the college benefits of affirmative action. (Yes this does happen in India).
Sorry I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ll look it up.

Watchmen

Premium Member
While this nitpicking may serve a purpose in your mind. I don't think it really matters.

My wife and I are not the most well off, yet neither of us qualify for grants. When I still lived at home, my parents were lower middle class, and yet grants and scholarships were not really in the cards, even though I applied for many of them.
My daughter didn’t qualify for grants either. You know how much she took out in loans? Zero.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My daughter didn’t qualify for grants either. You know how much she took out in loans? Zero.

Good for her.

I signed a blank check to the govt in order to secure a better life and education for myself.

(ie I gave up personal autonomy and freedom, and took the chance of dying in combat, so as to have the ability to be educated to a level in which I could elevate my own children.).

Watchmen

Premium Member
Good for her.

I signed a blank check to the govt in order to secure a better life and education for myself.

(ie I gave up personal autonomy and freedom, and took the chance of dying in combat, so as to have the ability to be educated to a level in which I could elevate my own children.).
Thank you for your service.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

They had to work their butts off to pay for their food, housing and other adult needs. Not all parents are as supportive as you are, and will allow their adult children to live with them. Some parents struggle to care for themselves financially, especially if they have health problems that affect their budgets.

All chose community colleges. As to properly complete the FAFSA, I have no clue. But no, they qualified for no grants.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But does it have to work like that? I mean there is some class infighting in India, but as it stands it's not very prevalent anymore, even if the classes are still socially maintained. It's about implementation imo.
I hope it dosent work like in the past.

Imagine a successful wealthy gangster who got away with it, and lead a carefree life of luxury.

Does that mean his past life was worthwhile?

The caste system never made much sense to me.