• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caste System and Status of Women in Hinduism

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That is not the case in 'Hinduism' but in India. And that is cultural. If people viewed womem based on scripture then women would be either treated equally to men or in higher esteem.
I could ask you the same question, really. I mean, does Islam encourage society to degrade women? I don't think it does. But in many Islamic nations women are treated very badly. But this is not Islam really is it? It is a culture, not the religion. Am I right?

Also, I think that things are slowly improving in India. Women are becoming more modern and adopting western views of how women should be regarded.

nameless

The Creator
But why the status of women is degraded in Hinduism still? y treating women very low always?

what do you mean exactly? women has no status problem in india except in some rural villages, the president, the speaker, chief ministers, party president all are ladies. But condition of muslim women is very pathetic because muslim men has multiple wives, has to face fatwa and humiliation if tennis is played etc etc ....

Last edited:

syberpriend

what do you mean exactly? women has no status problem in india except in some rural villages, the president, the speaker, chief ministers, party president all are ladies. But condition of muslim women is very pathetic because muslim men has multiple wives, has to face fatwa and humiliation if tennis is played etc etc ....

im sorry that it hurt u nameless, guess u being a female, its a knowwn fact that hindus make "SATTI" their woman, if the husbandd died. is it not pathetic and opressing woman?
hindus have multiple wives, maybe u dnt know this, ever heard of actor dharmendar??????
muslim women are free to do, as long as its in modesty, ever been to uae or any gulf country?
Hindus keep devidas, u know who they are or need me to tell here???:yes:

syberpriend

Further, we are discussing, hindus, not comparing Islam with hinduism, so be on topic namess, and answer the question

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
im sorry that it hurt u nameless, guess u being a female, its a knowwn fact that hindus make "SATTI" their woman, if the husbandd died. is it not pathetic and opressing woman?
hindus have multiple wives, maybe u dnt know this, ever heard of actor dharmendar??????
muslim women are free to do, as long as its in modesty, ever been to uae or any gulf country?

I think you may be misinformed. Indian society no longer condemns women to fire and men are not legally allowed more than one wife. That was never taught through scripture anyway but was a cultural thing.

nameless

The Creator

your arguments has nothing to do with vedas, no scriptures asks to follow sati, multiple wives etc, these came into the culture because of narrow mindedness of few people. These practices are no longer found in present day india.

Hindus are not allowed to have multiple wives, so on August 21, 1979 Dharmendra converted to Islam, changed his name to Dilawar Khan, got married to actress Hema Malini, as his first wife, Prakash Kaur, refused to divorce him. In accordance with the Hindu Marriage Act it is illegal for a Hindu to get re-married when his first wife is still alive. Many hindu guys now using islamic marriage act as a loop hole to have multiple wives, but they not follows any muslim customs.

Multiple wives are very common among muslims in india as their scriptures allows them to do so, so muslim women status is pathetic.

Last edited:

syberpriend

your arguments has nothing to do with vedas, no scriptures asks to follow sati, multiple wives etc, these came into the culture because of narrow mindedness of few people. These practices are no longer found in present day india.

What u mean its not practise now? its is followed in rural-areas, and if its a tradition or culture, who was doing it? Hindus ? Muslims? Christians? Sikhs?

Hindus are not allowed to have multiple wives, so on August 21, 1979 Dharmendra converted to Islam, changed his name to Dilawar Khan, got married to actress Hema Malini, as his first wife, Prakash Kaur, refused to divorce him. In accordance with the Hindu Marriage Act it is illegal for a Hindu to get re-married when his first wife is still alive. Many hindu guys now using islamic marriage act as a loop hole to have multiple wives, but they not follows any muslim customs.

Its Indian marriage law, not ur religion law, ur vedas permits it, but ur country law abide, coz they want mistresses, and all of hindus having lots of them, its a fact. thats y prostitution is lottttttttttt in India, no doubt its among the high rate of aids in the world. u want to top in this?????:D:D:D

Multiple wives are very common among muslims in india as their scriptures allows them to do so, so muslim women status is pathetic.

How u can say muslim woman status is pathetic? Ive proved u already that they have the highest rank,
And now I know u r an Hindu :) ......... hahahahahaha:run::bow::bow::bow:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Syberpriend, you seem to be here specifically to put down Hinduism without trying to consider that you might actually be wrong about some things. Do you hate Hindus or something?

syberpriend

Syberpriend, you seem to be here specifically to put down Hinduism without trying to consider that you might actually be wrong about some things. Do you hate Hindus or something?

Certainly not, I do respect alll religions, and the follower, this infact u should ask namless, as I just ask simle question, of status of women in hinduism, and namessless brought Islam in between and negative remarks etc etc.
The remarks u gave, I listened to it, I have no hard feelinngs for hinduism. Hope it clears

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Certainly not, I do respect alll religions, and the follower, this infact u should ask namless, as I just ask simle question, of status of women in hinduism, and namessless brought Islam in between and negative remarks etc etc.
The remarks u gave, I listened to it, I have no hard feelinngs for hinduism. Hope it clears

Yes, thank you. I really do want to stress that any mistreatment of women is not encouraged by scriptural teachings. It really is a cultural thing and one that is gradually improving.

nameless

The Creator
But why the status of women is degraded in Hinduism still? y treating women very low always?

syberpriend, with what intention you say this? status of women in present day India is not degraded, you must provide proof for that here. If you dont have any proof, its clear that your intention was just to insult Hindus like what you do in many other threads. It is unfortunate to see a muslim feeling sympathy towards women in hinduism for no reason when women in islam is struggling. I only tried to redirect your sympathy to muslim women, they badly need sympathy from you guys.

Last edited:

syberpriend

syberpriend, with what intention you say this? status of women in present day India is not degraded, you must provide proof for that here. If you dont have any proof, its clear that your intention was just to insult Hindus like what you do in many other threads. It is unfortunate to see a muslim feeling sympathy towards women in hinduism for no reason when women in islam is struggling. I only tried to redirect your sympathy to muslim women, they badly need sympathy from you guys.

I will provide u proof, but 1st try to act normal, this post is for hinduism, dont bring Islam here, as we are discussing 1 religion, if u r interested, make new post, we will discuss there.
Thanks

nameless

The Creator

wrong, like always your intention was to insult hindus, you need to provide enough proof to justify your comment that status of women in present day india is degraded.

Last edited:

syberpriend

wrong, like always your intention was to insult hindus, you need to provide enough proof to justify your comment that status of women in present day india is degraded.

and where did I insult Hindus? its u always who is mocking and insulting muslims, in alll your posts, and its reported by many members already about u. nothing will be provided to u, :) keep crying

nameless

The Creator
and where did I insult Hindus? its u always who is mocking and insulting muslims, in alll your posts, and its reported by many members already about u. nothing will be provided to u, :) keep crying

I will provide u proof, but 1st try to act normal, this post is for hinduism, dont bring Islam here, as we are discussing 1 religion, if u r interested, make new post, we will discuss there.
Thanks

you promised that you would provide proofs, where is that now?
so you were making false claims to insult hindus.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How and when is ones' varna (I know caste is not original Hinduism) determined, and is it flexible or static? For example, can one be a brahmin, and then become a vaishya, or vice-versa?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend odion,
The caste system developed in the society to distinguish between different professionals which was by birth.
Earlier days the sons used to carry on with the same profession as the parents.
But with time, evolution, awareness, etc. the society is changing towards a caste less system and moving towards another scale of distinction i.e. rich and poor.
Love & rgds

bp789

The situation in the past was so severe, the low cast people were serious worker, they suffered a lot, was not allowed to reach a better position, i assume that is reason why their skin went so dark. But it is getting better now, so it is seen the skin of dalits becoming more lighter, their way of life changed.

I probably should have been more specific. I have read articles online that talk about higher castes are closely related to Eurasian groups, while lower castes are only related to Asian groups. Plus, more higher castes have more Caucasian features than lower castes. This is the thing I don't understand if caste was based on profession first.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I probably should have been more specific. I have read articles online that talk about higher castes are closely related to Eurasian groups, while lower castes are only related to Asian groups. Plus, more higher castes have more Caucasian features than lower castes. This is the thing I don't understand if caste was based on profession first.

Lighter skin is considered higher class somehow. I guess it became fashionable one day. Might have even been English invasion influence but it might be easy to find info about it online.